Trinity & St. X - What's the Point?

W.E. Raider

A Question:

What's the point of allowing them in 6A? They're obviously going to win 99% of their games in the class, and they are only ever really threatened on a yearly basis by one-another.

My idea: Drop the regular season X vs. T game and fill it with a good out of state opponent and then exclude them from the playoffs. Then, when the State Championships are held, play the T vs. X game like a bowl game. You could play the Freshman version on the Friday night of the Regional Championships, and the JV on the night of the State Semi's.

I know it's a wacky thought, but the season is over and I for one, am tired of seeing 6A, the biggest class in KY, be nothing more than a coin flip between X and T.

Just a conversation starter.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh:

A Question:

What's the point of allowing them in 6A? They're obviously going to win 99% of their games in the class, and they are only ever really threatened on a yearly basis by one-another.

My idea: Drop the regular season X vs. T game and fill it with a good out of state opponent and then exclude them from the playoffs. Then, when the State Championships are held, play the T vs. X game like a bowl game. You could play the Freshman version on the Friday night of the Regional Championships, and the JV on the night of the State Semi's.

I know it's a wacky thought, but the season is over and I for one, am tired of seeing 6A, the biggest class in KY, be nothing more than a coin flip between X and T.

Just a conversation starter.

How about we just move them down to 5A, 4A, 3A, etc...? Either way they'd still play each other in the end (when on opposite sides of the bracket). I don't see any point in arguing about them.

You are underestimating UK. I guarantee that Kentucky would win half their games against T/X. I mean, they are a bowl-bound team . . .

Definitely a discussion for another thread...I mean, I'm glad we have a state team in a bowl...but if I'm honest, I know that UK has no business in a bowl. They're there because the Liberty Bowl has an opening, and they're about all that's left...

Sorry...I digress...

All of the 6A schools should gear up for the 2009 season as it looks to be a year that both Trinity and St. X will be retooling more than usual at many positions. Life at Trinity without Tim Phillips and most of the defense will be interesting and I believe a huge challenge for the coaches. At St. X replacing the best RB ever in their program and most of the rest of their team will also prove to be a big challenge. Not that these coaching staffs aren't up to the challenge, just that young and inexperienced players all over the field will be interesting to watch and hard to count on.

If the public powers don't win next year then they never will.

Why do other states nearby like Ohio, Indiana, Tennessee, and West Virginia not have two private schools with a large male enrollment winning all the big school titles and having all the non-private school followers constantly complaining?

I have an opinion as to the answer.

In Cincinnati, the situation is similar except there are 4 big Catholic schools (Elder, St. X, Moeller and LaSalle). In Cleveland you have St. Ignatius, St. Edward and several others. These schools are probably just a hair better than Louisville Trinity and St. X (I know, I know ...Trinity beat Cinti. St. X this year. CSX was 4-6 this year and T beat them 17-6...think about that). I don't think there has been complaining in Ohio because there always seems to be a public school rival that is equal or better. In Cincinnati in the past it was Princeton vs Moeller. More recently it has been Colerain. There are other very good public school teams across the state Ohio that are very competitive with the private schools. In three of the big school title games in this decade, there wasn't even a private school in the title game.

So maybe the problem isn't T and X. Maybe the problem is the public schools need to step it up. Male has been there. There really is no reason why there shouldn't be public schools in the state and especially in Louisville, Lexington and N. Ky competing with T and X. Public schools need to get their act together, get the coaches and the facilities and the support necessary to compete. It can be done.

In Cincinnati, the situation is similar except there are 4 big Catholic schools (Elder, St. X, Moeller and LaSalle). In Cleveland you have St. Ignatius, St. Edward and several others. These schools are probably just a hair better than Louisville Trinity and St. X (I know, I know ...Trinity beat Cinti. St. X this year. CSX was 4-6 this year and T beat them 17-6...think about that). I don't think there has been complaining in Ohio because there always seems to be a public school rival that is equal or better. In Cincinnati in the past it was Princeton vs Moeller. More recently it has been Colerain. There are other very good public school teams across the state Ohio that are very competitive with the private schools. In three of the big school title games in this decade, there wasn't even a private school in the title game.

So maybe the problem isn't T and X. Maybe the problem is the public schools need to step it up. Male has been there. There really is no reason why there shouldn't be public schools in the state and especially in Louisville, Lexington and N. Ky competing with T and X. Public schools need to get their act together, get the coaches and the facilities and the support necessary to compete. It can be done.

Right on brother! That is exactly the answer to W.E. Raider's question.

In Louisville its all about the numbers of kids and where they come from. Seneca/Fern Creek/Eastern/etc public schools get kids from Jefferson County only, the top two private schools get kids from several surrounding counties and even a state. We have said this on here many times, hit the research button.

Its about the numbers. Its easy.

You donate $100K to Male's football team and the money is split between all sports including the girls programs, I don't think that is true.

In Louisville its all about the numbers of kids and where they come from. Seneca/Fern Creek/Eastern/etc public schools get kids from Jefferson County only, the top two private schools get kids from several surrounding counties and even a state. We have said this on here many times, hit the research button.

Its about the numbers. Its easy.

You donate $100K to Male's football team and the money is split between all sports including the girls programs, I don't think that is true.

AL, you are 100% wrong about Seneca/Fern Creek/Eastern/etc. and where they get their students. The advanced program at Seneca draws kids outside their resides area. The Computer & Technology program at Eastern draws kids from the south and west ends as well as the east part of Louisville. Fern Creek's Traditional program is well regarded, and is drawing larger numbers of students from outside it's resides are as well. In fact every public high school draws students from outside their resides areas due to the magnet programs.

All of the 6A schools should gear up for the 2009 season as it looks to be a year that both Trinity and St. X will be retooling more than usual at many positions. Life at Trinity without Tim Phillips and most of the defense will be interesting and I believe a huge challenge for the coaches.
They said the same thing when Brian Brohm left.