In 6A can Lexington compete with Louisville?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lexington Catholic has been able to play with Trinity, Male and St X in the past. I'd give them the vote for best in Lexington.

The 6A schools in Lexington sometimes have the same and at times better talent than some of the Louisville schools. It's a different breed of kids a lot of times though. I used to coach middle school in Lexington and the home life a lot of the kids have is a nightmare. I'm not saying all of them but I have seen 1st hand that a lot of the best athletes in Lexington deal with things that other kids don't have to deal with. Drugs, broken homes etc at a very young age.

One of the biggest problems has already been mentioned. The administration in Lexington is AWFUL when it comes to something like football. I had a dad that was blessed with coming into a lot of money. He offered to build a new stadium at a school that didn't have a field. He was going to pay for all the costs including labor to put the field in. The Administraion said no. They threw up a smokescreen but the real reason was because there was an underground powerline that they hadn't taken care of. We had a junk practice field that really wasn't very safe. We tried to fill holes + pick up rocks. One of the nicest kids (probably the fastest in middle school) I ever coached was running the ball and stepped into one of the little ditches that you couldn't see. His ankle was the worst break I've ever seen! It was 90 degrees out from his leg. I felt like puking knowing that it would have never happened if the Fayette Co Administration cared.

I will be suprised if Tates Creek isn't on the rise a lot. They got a really good coach in there and they have had some tremendous talent that will be shown off in their scheme now. Henry Clay has been the most consistant as of late IMO. Dunbar + Bryan Station get TONS of athletes!

I used to coach middle school in Lexington and the home life a lot of the kids have is a nightmare. I'm not saying all of them but I have seen 1st hand that a lot of the best athletes in Lexington deal with things that other kids don't have to deal with. Drugs, broken homes etc at a very young age.

One of the biggest problems has already been mentioned. The administration in Lexington is AWFUL when it comes to something like football.

Kids in all communites and towns deal with the things you mentioned. You hit the nail on the head with the biggest problem. Administrations of Fayette Co. Schools. Until an emphasis is put on athletics, in particular football, it will continue to underachieve.

Henry Clay played a three quarter varsity scrimmage and beat St. X last year. St. X went on to run the table before losing the heartbreaker to Trinity in the 6A finals. Didn't they beat Manual twice?

Are you really trying to use a three-quarter scrimmage as a proxy for what would have happened in a real game?

Southern, Ballard, Eastern and Fern Creek could also probably beat them 50% of the time its apples to oranges

Well, if 50% is competing, then I'd say the Lex schools would be competing with the Louisville schools..Same with Manual..It's like others have stated, none of the teams in 6a, regardless of geographics is competing with St X or Trinity. The same question could be posed to these teams. Will they compete with the 2 elite Louisville schools and the answer would likely be the same as the one posed for the Lex schools..No

Lexington Catholic has been able to play with Trinity, Male and St X in the past. I'd give them the vote for best in Lexington.

The 6A schools in Lexington sometimes have the same and at times better talent than some of the Louisville schools. It's a different breed of kids a lot of times though. I used to coach middle school in Lexington and the home life a lot of the kids have is a nightmare. I'm not saying all of them but I have seen 1st hand that a lot of the best athletes in Lexington deal with things that other kids don't have to deal with. Drugs, broken homes etc at a very young age.

One of the biggest problems has already been mentioned. The administration in Lexington is AWFUL when it comes to something like football. I had a dad that was blessed with coming into a lot of money. He offered to build a new stadium at a school that didn't have a field. He was going to pay for all the costs including labor to put the field in. The Administraion said no. They threw up a smokescreen but the real reason was because there was an underground powerline that they hadn't taken care of. We had a junk practice field that really wasn't very safe. We tried to fill holes + pick up rocks. One of the nicest kids (probably the fastest in middle school) I ever coached was running the ball and stepped into one of the little ditches that you couldn't see. His ankle was the worst break I've ever seen! It was 90 degrees out from his leg. I felt like puking knowing that it would have never happened if the Fayette Co Administration cared.

I will be suprised if Tates Creek isn't on the rise a lot. They got a really good coach in there and they have had some tremendous talent that will be shown off in their scheme now. Henry Clay has been the most consistant as of late IMO. Dunbar + Bryan Station get TONS of athletes!

Does any other Lexington School besides Lexington Catholic have more than one win vs those big 3 in the last several years?

If that is the case, then you agree that Lexington is on par with Louville with the exception of the best teams in the state. It isn't apples to oranges; it is the point I am making if I understand you correctly.

No it would be more than 50% of the time, I was just basing that on the other persons post about Manual. Lex schools are not on par with Louisville, Catholic has a run now and then but all schools do! Heck Fern Creek beat St X a few times in the mid 90's.

Here is what I am saying. There are teams in Louisville, who year in and year out are better than teams anywhere else in the state BUT Louisville, and who could likely beat MOST of the top teams out in the state including Lexington teams , however they will never advance too far into the state tournament because of "The Holy Trinity" in Louisville, (Male, St X, Trinity). Move a 6A team like Fern Creek, Manual or Ballard to any of the 5 districts besides 3, 4 or 5 and they will make to at least the 3rd round of the playoffs 4 out of every 5 years before they get knocked off by one of the big THREE If one of those teams would be lucky enough end up in district 7 or 8 they would likely make the state semis 4 out of every 5 years if not more often.

This is why I get so exceedingly upset with people who wanted the public/private split. There IS NOT a level playing field among public schools in any class in this state so what the heck is the difference if the privates play with us or not. If there is a split Male or another Louisville School would win 6A every year just like a Louisville school won 3A EVERY year back before we went to FOUR classes. The names may have changed but the problem is the same, schools out in the state cannot consistantly compete with Louisville schools, Eliminate St X and Trinity and that would still be true.

No they are not on par with Louisville! here is what I am saying. There are teams in Louisville, who year in and year out are better than teams anywhere else in the state BUT Louisville, and who could likely beat MOST of the top teams out in the state including Lexington teams , however they will never advance too far into the state tournament because of "The Holy Trinity" in Louisville, (Male, St X, Trinity). Move a 6A team like Fern Creek, Manual or Ballard to any of the 5 districts besides 3, 4 or 5 and they will make to at least the 3rd round of the playoffs 4 out of every 5 years before they get knocked off by one of the big THREE If one of those teams would be lucky enough end up in district 7 or 8 they would likely make the state semis 4 out of every 5 years if not more often.

This is why I get so exceedingly upset with people who wanted the public/private split. There IS NOT a level playing field among public schools in any class in this state so what the heck is the difference if the privates play with us or not. If there is a split Male or another Louisville School would win 6A every year just like a Louisville school won 3A EVERY year back before we went to FOUR classes. The names may have changed but the problem is the same, schools out in the state cannot consistantly compete with Louisville schools, Eliminate St X and Trinity and that would still be true.

Well thats pretty hard to dispute....

Does any other Lexington School besides Lexington Catholic have more than one win vs those big 3 in the last several years?

NO

That is the point of this thread. The Lexington public schools cannot compete, year in and year out, with Louisville. Some have hinted to it already in this thread, but why don't the Lex. Publics schedule the Louisville teams in the regular season and see what it is like to play "with" them. Lafayette did last year when they played Trinity and they took a beating. My hats off to them and their coaches for at least trying to put that program on a level that can compete. Old saying:

To be the best, you have to beat the best.

You can't beat them if you don't schedule them!!

I disagree with Male or some other Louisville school winning 6A every year with no T or X. Henry Clay would have been one of the dominate schools in recent memory. Two years ago there was no doubt Male would have crushed everyone in the public arena but Male goes through cycles and they are not consistently good like T and X.

HC lost to Ballard in 2003 and beat them in 2004. In 2005, they spanked Tates Creek 49-7 and lost the following year 20-27. And yes, HC beat Eastern in 2000 but Eastern also beat Lafayette in 2004.

I think it's fair to say that Lexington's best 6A team year in year out would be just the fourth best team in 6A in Louisville more often than not and I think Manual would possibly push them to 5th more often than not.

I disagree with Male or some other Louisville school winning 6A every year with no T or X. Henry Clay would have been one of the dominate schools in recent memory. Two years ago there was no doubt Male would have crushed everyone in the public arena but Male goes through cycles and they are not consistently good like T and X.

I would like to think Hardin/Meade Co.Public Schools fare well against schools from L'ville in the last few years with John Hardin having some impressive wins in 05. Losting to St X on a missed two point conversion.