Kentucky's Biggest High School Rivalries In Any/All Sports - Help

I would like to nominate Fort Knox vs Fort Campbell- The Army Bowl- Not only it a great in state rivalry it is one of the most unique high school games in America. There are only 3 Department of Defense run high schools in the United States that play football and two happen to be in the same state. I think you could argue through the 80's and early 90s both programs were some the best in the state and then Ft Campbell great run in the 2000's as well. Total respect on both sides of the ball with kids who grow up with pretty unique and transient situations, the average military child moves 6 to 9 times during their school years. It may not have the luster it used to have but is still a great event each time the schools meet. Please let me know if I can provide more information or anything else and thank you for your consideration!

Army bowl trophy.jpeg

• Like 3

Just being honest, I would say football wise that Boyle/LexCath is a bigger rival right now than Boyle/Danville.  Hasn't been as long but the last 25 years has been intense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BEChargers said:

Just being honest, I would say football wise that Boyle/LexCath is a bigger rival right now than Boyle/Danville.  Hasn't been as long but the last 25 years has been intense. 

I agree!  The past 2 seasons Boyle and Danville hasn't even played.  This game is nowhere near what is was back in the 70's.  

Lexington Catholic & Lexington Christian Academy is a relatively new football rivalry, & currently sits at 4 wins & 4losses for both programs.  Three of the games have been really close contests separated by 5 points total; two 1 point wins for both teams & a 3 point win for LCA two season ago.  The rest of the games have been absolute beatings, here is a rundown:

Aug 20, 2005 Lexington Catholic 52 Lexington Christian 14  
Sep 25, 2009 Lexington Catholic 27 Lexington Christian 26  
Sep 24, 2010 Lexington Catholic 62 Lexington Christian 0  
Sep 8, 2017 Lexington Christian 56 Lexington Catholic 36  
Sep 7, 2018 Lexington Catholic 54 Lexington Christian 13  
Sep 20, 2019 Lexington Christian 43 Lexington Catholic 42  
Sep 18, 2020 Lexington Christian 23 Lexington Catholic 20  
Sep 17, 2021 Lexington Christian 43 Lexington Catholic 7

Back in the day Harrodsburg and Mercer County was a big time rivalry.  Mercer kids once unloaded a bunch of pigs thru the backdoor of the Harrodsburg gym right at tip-off.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Rebel said:

I agree!  The past 2 seasons Boyle and Danville hasn't even played.  This game is nowhere near what is was back in the 70's.  

Danville and Boyle got nasty in the early to late 90’s when They shared a District and Region in AA. The rivalry got less nasty when it was just for bragging rights IMO. 

10 hours ago, BEChargers said:

Because playoff hopes are effected by the series. 

On 3/22/2022 at 8:24 PM, Tigerpride94 said:

I would add Male vs. St. X in football. Usually a packed house for this game whether at St. X or Male.

I agree, and I think you could say the same for Trinity vs Male.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2022 at 4:39 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Here are some more of the bigger football rivalries. I tried to tag some of the folks who tend to comment in threads involving the schools mentioned.

Graves County vs. Mayfield - Mayfield is the county seat of Graves County, so the rivalry comes naturally. GCHS opened in 1985 after 6 schools were consolidated into 1. Mayfield has always generally ruled the rivalry when it comes to football, but Graves tends to rule the rivalry when it comes to hoops.

Boyle County vs. Danville - Danville is the county seat of Boyle County, and has a football program that is one of the oldest in the state (1912). Boyle County High School opened in 1963. This has been a major rivalry in all sports between the two schools, but especially on the football field. @Rebel @Rebelstat @BEChargers @DanvilleFan @Shaquille_Oatmeal might be able to help out with details on this one.

St. Xavier vs. Flaget @Tigerpride94 @Tigercat @Xtiger69 @LongTimeReader @Tigers20-22 @Tigers88

St. Xavier vs. Trinity @SHAMROCK69 @NLTanker1 @JIM SEYMOUR # 85
Played since 1956. Trinity leads 48-39-2.

Lexington Catholic vs. Lexington Christian @Big Things Kentucky @Johnny_Utah @Tigerallamerican

Hoptown vs. Madisonville-North Hopkins @Big Fletch @Region2 Hype Man @Westernside @TylerDurden @WKY_Football @KingDeuce @tackle trap

Scott County vs. Frederick Douglass - This one is new, but heated. @16thBBall Fan amirite?

Feels like a program as old as Owensboro has to have a pretty major rival there around Owensboro/Daviess County...or maybe is their rival Henderson County? @Brown @Devils Fan @ApolloFan98 @zoneblitz2 any input here?

Definitely no love lost between Hendo and Owensboro.

On 3/25/2022 at 10:14 PM, Seybold24 said:

Boyle-Danville in football, 

Lincoln-Boyle in boys basketball is a good one not mentioned. High level games every time. 

Boyle and Danville was a good rival at one time in football but I would have to say what other have said.  That being the Boyle/Lexington Catholic is more of a rival in football now.   I do agree with the basketball and that Boyle/Lincoln has been a great rival for many years now.  

• Like 1

This is long but I’m long winded and can’t help it. 😁

It’s a small school rivalry (and neither county has football) but Owsley County and Lee County have had a rivalry in basketball as long as they’ve been playing the game. The schools are in the same district and Booneville and Beattyville are only about 10 miles apart. 
The two did not schedule one another in regular season from around 1953-1977 due to an incident at a district basketball game in Beattyville where an Owsley County school administrator was jailed when he punched a prominent Beattyville businessman in a dispute over a seat. That was in the days when most schools had small gyms and didn’t seat many fans. It resulted in the Owls and Bobcats only playing if they met in the district tournament. The schools resumed scheduling in 1977 and it didn’t take long for the rivalry to pick back up where it was 24 years earlier. 
The rivalry cools some if one  program is down and another up for a few years, which is going to happen in small schools, but it is still there. The games are usually each schools biggest gates every season. But the crowds are not what they were back in the ‘80s up to a few years ago. In the ‘80s and ‘90s it was usually a packed house at both gyms, in some cases standing room only. But in recent years the crowds are down, I suppose some of it is due to the games now being streamed at both schools and fans can stay home and watch it on their tv from the comfort of their living rooms. And another factor is people just don’t go to the games like they did years ago. I know the pandemic has affected the numbers in recent years but even before that when I watched sports highlights on the news most venues around the region and throughout the state  had few fans in the stands. I suppose it’s just the way of changing times. 
There’s been a few pranks over the years. Owsley and Lee were to meet in the district tournament one year and someone dressed in the Bobcat mascot outfit rode a horse around the Owsley County school during school hours. Kids were jumping up in classrooms running to the window to see what all the excitement was about. Then the horse and rider suddenly disappeared. I’ve never heard who was responsible or where the horse and rider went to so quickly but I admit it was funny. 
Another time in the early ‘80s when Allan Cutler had just come to Lexington from Pittsburgh and was getting familiar with all the schools he reported scores for football one Friday night and the scores were on the screen at the bottom. Suddenly he says “and Owsley County defeats Lee County 24-3”. Owsley and Lee don’t have football, but evidently the Owls are 1-0 against the Bobcats for historical purposes. 😀Someone, probably one of the players, had called the score in to Cutler and he put it on. They have safeguards nowadays to prevent that but in those days they didn’t. 
Thats a couple of the lighthearted shenanigans between the schools over the years. 
With all that said it has been a good rivalry with very few incidents. 

• Like 2