2023-2024 Football Realignment

Seybold24

1 minute ago, rjs4470 said:

Correct. I think It would be too disruptive to district scheduling for them to jump in in the middle of a two year cycle. I'm guessing they would play whomever they could, even if it meant playing less than 10 games, and start fresh for the '27 season.

Agreed! That’s why I was surprised that they are not starting varsity until 2026. If they started middle school next year in 2023, JV, in 24, they could then do varsity and be in a district to start 2025 for the last two years of this realignment. 

3 hours ago, Yall Wear High Waters said:

Anyone else curious how they handle 7 1A schools in Campbell and Kenton Counties? With Bracken moving up to 2A, it makes sense for Brossart to head towards the river. I'd love to see Holy Cross, Brossart, NewCath in the same district...yes please.

I think it would be more likely that Holy Cross replaces Bracken County in the district with Brossart, Paris and Nicholas County.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, futurecoach said:

I could be wrong, but didn’t St. Henry say they are not starting varsity until of 2026? Since they aren’t even doing middle school until fall of 2024, then JV in 2025. So if they don’t start varsity until 2026. Would they just not participate in a district for their first year?

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

Correct. I think It would be too disruptive to district scheduling for them to jump in in the middle of a two year cycle. I'm guessing they would play whomever they could, even if it meant playing less than 10 games, and start fresh for the '27 season.

1 hour ago, futurecoach said:

Agreed! That’s why I was surprised that they are not starting varsity until 2026. If they started middle school next year in 2023, JV, in 24, they could then do varsity and be in a district to start 2025 for the last two years of this realignment. 

I didn't pay close enough attention to St. Henry's announcement to remember exactly what they announced for their football rollout timeline, but I was just going on the info from the bottom of the KHSAA enrollment data release: "Moving to 2A for 25‐26 St. Henry District (not in draft)."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Westernside said:

5A District 1-4 

D1 Marshal Co, Graves Co,Christian Co,  MNH,

D2 Owensboro, Grayson Co, Muhlenberg Co, Ohio Co

D3 Greenwood, Bowling Green, Warren Central, Barren Co

D4 Fairdale, Butler, Bullitt Central,Moore, Iroquois, North Bullitt

but I could see District 1 with 5 teams because Christian Co, going to 6A the following year.

Thoughts? 

Westernside, I think this looks pretty good.  I think Barren opts to play up to 6A as they have done before.  They paid to get out of similar district back in 2018.  Wouldn't think that has changed.  

Also think South Warren will replace Barren here; just too easy a rivalry with BG and GW.

Feel bad for Warren Central.  They are making strides to get back into the mix in 4A.

This is not the district nor classification for them at this time or maybe ever.  Hoping they get to petition out.

Interesting that BG is not in District 2.  They have been as long as I can remember.

Interesting Louisville Butler slides down to 5A District 4 here.  They have had good teams in the past, just not consistently.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yall Wear High Waters said:

Very possible If Bracken actually moves up.

9 hours ago, REALSPORT said:

I think it would be more likely that Holy Cross replaces Bracken County in the district with Brossart, Paris and Nicholas County.

That would leave five in one district with HC having some pretty significant travel by NKY standards.  I would hope they keep HC in an NKY district not ship them south. 

Also I would love for NewCath, Holy Cross and Brossart to be in the same district. Even if they don't end of together I think it would be cool to seem them play each other for some kind of traveling trophy each year, like the Commander-in-Chief trophy between Army, NAvy, and Air Force.

• Like 6

From the KHSAA:

Football Enrollment Figures Update

ENROLLMENT FIGURES

· The enrollment figures used to divide the teams into football classes are the average number of boys enrolled as reported on the KDE second-month report (growth factor membership) for the 2019-2020 and 2022-2023 school years. 

· To ensure an up-to-date status, it was determined and announced nearly one year ago, that the 2022-2023 numbers would be doubled for the purpose of averaging since 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 enrollment/membership numbers were not collected due to COVID-19 (per https://khsaa.org/07-25-22-reminders-about-realignment-reclassification-processes-for-2023-24-and-beyond-fb-tr-xc/). 

· Those enrollment/membership numbers are listed on the KHSAA website at http://khsaa.org/football/realignment/2023-2026/2023to2026footballenrollments.pdf

COMPOSITION OF DISTRICTS AND FINAL ALIGNMENT PROCEDURE

· Once the December 21 deadline has passed and all playing up/withdrawal decisions have been made, including the resultant options for teams in the next highest class are completed, the teams will be drawn into geographic districts.

· Until that time, no projections will be made regarding districts.

· These districts may or may not be the same (including numbering) as the current district alignment, based solely on membership responses.

· The Board of Control will consider a draft alignment of teams at its next meeting on January 18, 2023, following the receipt of any FB139 forms and drafting of geographic districts by the Commissioner's office. 

· It is possible that the alignment will be finalized at that January meeting, but the firm timeline for completion is not later than the Board's February 22, 2023 meeting.

14 minutes ago, theguru said:

· Until that time, no projections will be made regarding districts.

Fondly remembering the last realignment when I put a projection up on BGP and the next day Julian Tackett said in the media not to believe something just because it was posted on a message board! 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Fondly remembering the last realignment when I put a projection up on BGP and the next day Julian Tackett said in the media not to believe something just because it was posted on a message board! 😂

At least we know the Commish is reading. 🙂

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 12/6/2022 at 10:03 AM, Calico Jack said:

After looking at it I think it goes like this:

D1

Union, Trigg, Hop Central, Webster, Butler Co

D2

Franklin Simpson, Adair, Edmonson, Hart

(D1 and D2 are all CST teams)

D3

Bardstown, Larue, Marion, Thomas Nelson

D4

CAL, Central, Henry, DeSales, Lloyd Memorial

I agree with the above; however if Glasgow requests to stay in 3A it will be interesting to see how alignment will shape up.  Adair seems to be in the middle of several potential destinations.  Could go west as above, north with the Bardstown,Marion, and Larue schools, or east with Casey, Rockcastle, etc.  Looks like to me Glasgow holds the cards on how Adair will be placed.  Do they want to go back to 2A and have Mayfield in the region, or be in a district with Franklin in 3A?  Will be interesting.

Edited by Green River Monster
added sentence
  • Like 1

Just now, Green River Monster said:

I agree with the above; however if Glasgow requests to stay in 3A it will be interesting to see how alignment will shape up.  Adair seems to be in the middle of several potential destinations.  Could go west as above, north with the Bardstown,Marion, and Larue schools, or east with Casey, Rockcastle, etc.  Looks like to me Glasgow holds the cards on how Adair will be placed.

Welcome to BGP @Green River Monster and I LOVE that username! 

17 hours ago, Purple88 said:

Westernside, I think this looks pretty good.  I think Barren opts to play up to 6A as they have done before.  They paid to get out of similar district back in 2018.  Wouldn't think that has changed.  

Also think South Warren will replace Barren here; just too easy a rivalry with BG and GW.

Feel bad for Warren Central.  They are making strides to get back into the mix in 4A.

This is not the district nor classification for them at this time or maybe ever.  Hoping they get to petition out.

Interesting that BG is not in District 2.  They have been as long as I can remember.

Interesting Louisville Butler slides down to 5A District 4 here.  They have had good teams in the past, just not consistently.

I believe there may be more than 1 school in 5A petition to play up so South Warren and Apollo could come down.  If that happens then you could put Apollo in D2 with Owensboro and move one of those teams into D1.  The kicker is Warren Central because I know they will jump at moving down which they should so if they get that opportunity what happens next.  As jobs start to come open many coaches are going to know what district they are playing in before accepting a job and as teams are trying to schedule games.

• theguru changed the title to 2023-2024 Football Realignment