2023-2024 Football Realignment

Seybold24

3 hours ago, Breds82 said:

Quite interesting that Bracken Co move up to 2A. Are they having an influx of people moving into the county or is just one of those things this time around?

They would be the smallest 2A school in the state. Newport is right on the line as well. It appears they had no enrollment change, however other schools enrollments dropped below the threshold affecting their ranking. 

https://khsaa.org/football/realignment/2023-2026/2023to2026footballenrollments.pdf

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Green River Monster said:

I agree with the above; however if Glasgow requests to stay in 3A it will be interesting to see how alignment will shape up.  Adair seems to be in the middle of several potential destinations.  Could go west as above, north with the Bardstown,Marion, and Larue schools, or east with Casey, Rockcastle, etc.  Looks like to me Glasgow holds the cards on how Adair will be placed.  Do they want to go back to 2A and have Mayfield in the region, or be in a district with Franklin in 3A?  Will be interesting.

I would think Butler would be in District 2 rather than District 1. 

I can't lie, many of the enrollment numbers in this report are shocking to me, both increases and decreases. Eastern KY and inner city schools seem to be losing fast and I hate that.  Obviously I'm from Maysville but its says Mason's enrollment increased by a 100 in 3 years.  Our area is growing but seriously?  I guess numbers don't lie.

20 minutes ago, Royals and Saints Fan said:

I can't lie, many of the enrollment numbers in this report are shocking to me, both increases and decreases. Eastern KY seems to be losing fast and I hate that.  Obviously I'm from Maysville but its says Mason's enrollment increased by a 100 in 3 years.  Our area is growing but seriously?  I guess numbers don't lie.

I've had that conversation a few times in recent years. There's going to be a small handful of eastern Kentucky teams in 4A/5A and everyone else will be 1A and 2A. I wish it wasn't so but when people leave for school and work and don't return, you high school enrollment can't help but fall.

On 11/22/2022 at 9:44 PM, GOREDDEVILS said:

I'm really surprised at how much Enrollment Belfry has lost. They used to have close to 100 more students than Russell but now sit at like 605.

Belfry has lost a lot of students in recent years.  According to the data released, current overall is 531 and 259 boys.   Comparatively Russell is 669 and 332.

2 minutes ago, Watusi said:

Belfry has lost a lot of students in recent years.  According to the data released, current overall is 531 and 259 boys.   Comparatively Russell is 669 and 332.

Do you think Belfry might choose to play up? If not, I'm curious if some of their neighbors like Pike Central and Floyd Central might choose to play up to 3A to avoid remaining in the same district. Eastern Kentucky 3A is going to look much more winnable than in the past if Belfry and Ashland and some others are gone.

2 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Do you think Belfry might choose to play up? If not, I'm curious if some of their neighbors like Pike Central and Floyd Central might choose to play up to 3A to avoid remaining in the same district. Eastern Kentucky 3A is going to look much more winnable than in the past if Belfry and Ashland and some others are gone.

That is the question on everyone's mind.  I have no idea what the staff at Belfry will elect to do, but my gut says they will stay in the assigned 2A.  

Do you really think Pike Central, Floyd Central (or Martin Co, Betsy Layne, etc) would elect to play up?  

3 minutes ago, ImJustHere said:

Adds another dog to the top of the list. That’s for sure. 4-5 schools who can be real contenders every single year. 

For sure.  

Belfry is the kind of team that can ground and pound you and they can be a bad matchup for some teams that otherwise appear better than them. 

• Like 1

Just now, Green River Monster said:

This is fascinating.  So many scenarios could play out depending on what a "few" schools decide to do re: playing up.

Can we make a petition now to have KHSAA stream the January meeting on YouTube?

During COVID I watched some of those meetings and they (and certainly the JCPS meetings) made my eyes bleed.  The reality that some of those people are in charge boggles my mind but I can't say I am surprised.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ImJustHere said:

Adds another dog to the top of the list. That’s for sure. 4-5 schools who can be real contenders every single year. 

We can go ahead and do that in every class come January, for the next four years.  4-5 in every class, give others the field, and you will hit 90%+ for the next four years. 

• theguru changed the title to 2023-2024 Football Realignment