2023-2024 Football Realignment

Seybold24

1 minute ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I definitely wouldn't count on it.

Sounds like I better hope for three other teams to ask to move up then, because if CovCath stays down, I imagine Highlands would take the opportunity to move down as well if given the chance. 

This stinks. 

29 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

Sounds like I better hope for three other teams to ask to move up then, because if CovCath stays down, I imagine Highlands would take the opportunity to move down as well if given the chance. 

This stinks. 

I really don't expect Cov Cath to move up to 5A. We're 14th out of 39 schools when it comes to enrollment in 4A. Plus, well, let's just say that word around town is that requesting to play up in class is not in the plans.

I'm looking at the 13 teams above us in 4A enrollment, and I don't really see a single one that makes me think they really have much, if any, reason to play up in 5A. Harlan County is offered first swing at moving down in classification if there's a 4A team that requests to move up to 5A. I think Harlan County would more than likely take the opportunity to move back down to 4A for the next alignment were they offered it. Assuming Harlan County will, in fact, move down if offered the chance, that means in order for Highlands to move down to 4A, there will have to be two 4A teams request to move up in classification. I honestly don't know if I can see two teams in 4A showing interest in moving up, but I could always be wrong.

• Thanks 1

I don’t see ANY 3A schools right now that would want to play up. Anybody else think I’m crazy on that?  Granted you have Central that moved back down to there, CAL as well as LexCath and still have Bardstown.  Other than that, though? Talk about a level playing field for the most part to give you a chance at at least playing in a region final.    Franklin-Simpson in there as well.      

I don’t know though, all 6 classes, I think this one right here is without question the place to be to give yourself and your program a little hope for the most part. 

4 minutes ago, Calico Jack said:

I don’t see ANY 3A schools right now that would want to play up. Anybody else think I’m crazy on that?  Granted you have Central that moved back down to there, CAL as well as LexCath and still have Bardstown.  Other than that, though? Talk about a level playing field for the most part to give you a chance at at least playing in a region final.    Franklin-Simpson in there as well.      

I don’t know though, all 6 classes, I think this one right here is without question the place to be to give yourself and your program a little hope for the most part. 

Louisville Central drops to 3A as well

1 minute ago, Nuke LaLoosh said:

Louisville Central drops to 3A as well

Right. I put them in there.  Even still though, when you match up the districts geographically.   Outside of potentially that one which could include them, CAL, Bardstown and DeSales is bound to bounce back, I don’t see a single potential district there where you don’t look at it from a stand point (outside of also who is with LexCath) where you aren’t thinking that “We can win this thing or at worst compete each year for the 2 seed and host a playoff game”.

Talking about a class now that while they gained Lou Central and LexCath, they lost Belfry, Tilghman, Glasgow, Taylor County and Etown which have obviously accounted for several state titles (only Belfry), final appearances (Tilghman and Etown) and/or region titles (even appearances) in this last go round and before in the previous ones (Glasgow and Taylor).

21 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I really don't expect Cov Cath to move up to 5A. We're 14th out of 39 schools when it comes to enrollment in 4A. Plus, well, let's just say that word around town is that requesting to play up in class is not in the plans.

I'm looking at the 13 teams above us in 4A enrollment, and I don't really see a single one that makes me think they really have much, if any, reason to play up in 5A. Harlan County is offered first swing at moving down in classification if there's a 4A team that requests to move up to 5A. I think Harlan County would more than likely take the opportunity to move back down to 4A for the next alignment were they offered it. Assuming Harlan County will, in fact, move down if offered the chance, that means in order for Highlands to move down to 4A, there will have to be two 4A teams request to move up in classification. I honestly don't know if I can see two teams in 4A showing interest in moving up, but I could always be wrong.

NONE of that is the feel-good reassurance I need that everything will work out for Warren Central! 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Calico Jack said:

Right. I put them in there.  Even still though, when you match up the districts geographically.   Outside of potentially that one which could include them, CAL, Bardstown and DeSales is bound to bounce back, I don’t see a single potential district there where you don’t look at it from a stand point (outside of also who is with LexCath) where you aren’t thinking that “We can win this thing or at worst compete each year for the 2 seed and host a playoff game”.

Talking about a class now that while they gained Lou Central and LexCath, they lost Belfry, Tilghman, Glasgow, Taylor County and Etown which have obviously accounted for several state titles (only Belfry), final appearances (Tilghman and Etown) and/or region titles (even appearances) in this last go round and before in the previous ones (Glasgow and Taylor).

Plus Ashland and Mason County who played in the semis this year.  Definitely a big shake up for 3A.  Districts will look a lot different I believe except for maybe district 1 who loses Paducah Tilghman, but will probably gain Hopkins Co Central.

4 minutes ago, Nuke LaLoosh said:

Plus Ashland and Mason County who played in the semis this year.  Definitely a big shake up for 3A.  Districts will look a lot different I believe except for maybe district 1 who loses Paducah Tilghman, but will probably gain Hopkins Co Central.

Right you are, along with Butler County.

I could see D1 and D2 both being a 5 and 6 team district, respectively.

District 1:

Union Co, Trigg Co, Webster Co, Hopkins Co Central and Butler Co

District 2:

Franklin Simpson, Hart Co, Edmonson Co, Adair Co, Larue Co and Marion Co

Those schools aren’t going to choose to play up and then get thrown in the mix with a potential district/region w  Tilghman, Logan and Hoptown. 

33 minutes ago, TimeWillTell said:

What are the chances of two 5-A teams requesting to playing up in 6-A ?

12 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I'm looking at the 13 teams above us in 4A enrollment, and I don't really see a single one that makes me think they really have much, if any, reason to play up in 5A.

4 minutes ago, Calico Jack said:

I don’t see ANY 3A schools right now that would want to play up. Anybody else think I’m crazy on that?

For what it's worth, there were 7 teams last time that opted to move up in classification.

• 1A to 2A - Trimble County
• 3A to 4A - Boyle County, Central
• 4A to 5A - East Jessamine, Highlands, Western
• 5A to 6A - Barren County

Trimble is once again shown currently as a 1A program in this initial enrollment-based release. They could possibly petition to move up to 2A again for this alignment.

Boyle County is currently shown about dead center in 4A enrollment now, so they will presumably be staying put in 4A.

Central is currently shown as the 8th-largest out of 39 schools in 3A in this initial enrollment-based release. They could possibly petition to move up to 4A again for this alignment.

East Jessamine looks to currently be squarely positioned in 5A without likelihood of moving up or down.

Highlands is currently shown as the 2nd-smallest of the 40 schools in 5A. If two 4A teams request to play up in class, Highlands could move down to 5A. I think Highlands would move down to 5A if given the opportunity, but I'm doubtful they will be given the opportunity to move down.

Western is currently shown as the 22nd-largest out of 39 schools in 4A. In the last realignment, they were the 5th-smallest school in 4A enrollment yet they still opted to petition and play up in 5A in order to travel less in district games. In this release of things, Doss has moved down from 5A to 4A, North Oldham is in 4A, Valley is in 4A, and Shelby County is in 4A. I'm not sure they have much impetus to move up to 5A with all of those local teams in their immediate surrounding vicinity.

Barren County is currently shown as 6th-largest of the 40 schools in 5A. In the last realignment, they were the 20th-largest out of 39 schools in 5A and opted to petition to play up in 6A in order to travel less in district games. I would somewhat expect to see them do the same thing in this realignment.

• Thanks 1

Football Enrollments - Reclassification for 2023-2026 | KHSAA.org

I think I've got all the changes from class to class covered here. (Don't string me up if I missed anything, but let me know if you see a mistake and I'll get it changed.)

This only pertains to changes shown in the initial release of the reclassification numbers for 2023-2026, and is by no means final. If the KHSAA follows suit from the last realignment go-around, this is released, and then the BOC will meet in January/February and will present a draft of the actual realignment, giving each team a district and so on. It appears that the KHSAA is intending on releasing their initial draft of the realignment at their BOC meeting on January 18, 2023.

Once the initial draft is released, the schools have the opportunity to review and petition for any changes they may want to try to make happen, the BOC takes those petitions into consideration, reshuffles, and releases a final approved version of the 2023-2026 alignment around April/May.

WEB DuBois is on schedule to join into district play for the fall 2024 season, and St. Henry is scheduled to come on board in fall 2025. Both programs will be competing in 2A.

Knott County Central, Caverna, Bellevue and Fulton County are going to be back in the alignment, while Phelps, Jackson County, and Jenkins are not going to be in the alignment. The Fulton City and Evangel Christian football programs appear to be remaining in mothballs as well.

Class 6A Adds 3 / Loses 4
ADDS Frederick Douglass Up from 5A
ADDS Great Crossing Up from 5A
ADDS South Warren Up from 5A
LOSES Barren County Down to 5A
LOSES Butler Down to 5A
LOSES Dixie Heights Down to 5A
LOSES Marshall County Down to 5A

Class 5A Adds 10 / Loses 10
ADDS Anderson County Up from 4A
ADDS Barren County Down from 6A
ADDS Butler Down from 6A
ADDS Dixie Heights Down from 6A
ADDS Harlan County Up from 4A
ADDS Madisonville-North Hopkins Up from 4A
ADDS Marshall County Down from 6A
ADDS Moore Up from 4A
ADDS Scott Up from 4A
ADDS Warren Central Up from 4A
LOSES Breckinridge County Down to 4A
LOSES Covington Catholic Down to 4A
LOSES Doss Down to 4A
LOSES Frederick Douglass Up to 6A
LOSES Jeffersontown Down to 4A
LOSES Grant County Down to 4A
LOSES Great Crossing Up to 6A
LOSES South Warren Up to 6A
LOSES Western Down to 4A
LOSES Whitley County Down to 4A

Class 4A Adds 15 / Loses 14
ADDS Ashland Up from 3A
ADDS Breckinridge County Down from 5A
ADDS Covington Catholic Down from 5A
ADDS Doss Down from 5A
ADDS Elizabethtown Up from 3A
ADDS Jeffersontown Down from 5A
ADDS Grant County Down from 5A
ADDS Greenup County Up from 3A
ADDS Mason County Up from 3A
ADDS Nelson County Up from 3A
ADDS Paducah Tilghman Up from 3A
ADDS Taylor County Up from 3A
ADDS Western Down from 5A
ADDS Western Hills Up from 3A
ADDS Whitley County Down from 5A
LOSES Anderson County Up to 5A
LOSES Bourbon County Down to 3A
LOSES Central Down to 3A
LOSES Clay County Down to 3A
LOSES Franklin-Simpson Down to 3A
LOSES Harlan County Up to 5A
LOSES Hopkins County Central Down to 3A
LOSES Knox Central Down to 3A
LOSES Lexington Catholic Down to 3A
LOSES Madisonville-North Hopkins Up to 5A
LOSES Marion County Down to 3A
LOSES Moore Up to 5A
LOSES Scott Up to 5A
LOSES Warren Central Up to 5A

Class 3A Adds 11 / Loses 13
ADDS Bath County Up from 2A
ADDS Bourbon County Down from 4A
ADDS Butler County Up from 2A
ADDS Central Down from 4A
ADDS Clay County Down from 4A
ADDS Edmonson County Up from 2A
ADDS Franklin-Simpson Down from 4A
ADDS Lexington Catholic Down from 4A
ADDS Lloyd Memorial Up from 2A
ADDS Marion County Down from 4A
ADDS Morgan County Up from 2A
LOSES Ashland Up to 4A
LOSES Belfry Down to 2A
LOSES Elizabethtown Up to 4A
LOSES Floyd Central Down to 2A
LOSES Glasgow Down to 2A
LOSES Greenup County Up to 4A
LOSES Jackson County Not Competing
LOSES Mason County Up to 4A
LOSES Nelson County Up to 4A
LOSES Paducah Tilghman Up to 4A
LOSES Pike County Central Down to 2A
LOSES Taylor County Up to 4A
LOSES Western Hills Up to 4A

Class 2A Adds 10 / Loses 9
ADDS Belfry Down from 3A
ADDS Betsy Layne Up from 1A
ADDS Bracken County Up from 1A
ADDS Crittenden County Up from 1A
ADDS Floyd Central Down from 3A
ADDS Fort Knox Up from 1A
ADDS Glasgow Down from 3A
ADDS Pike County Central Down from 3A
ADDS St. Henry New Program '25 Season
ADDS WEB DuBois New Program '24 Season
LOSES Ballard Memorial Down to 1A
LOSES Bath County Up to 3A
LOSES Butler County Up to 3A
LOSES Covington Holy Cross Down to 1A
LOSES Edmonson County Up to 3A
LOSES Lloyd Memorial Up to 3A
LOSES Morgan County Up to 3A
LOSES Newport Down to 1A
LOSES Trimble County Down to 1A

Class 1A Adds 4 / Loses 4
ADDS Ballard Memorial Down from 2A
ADDS Covington Holy Cross Down from 2A
ADDS Newport Down from 2A
ADDS Trimble County Down from 2A
LOSES Betsy Layne Up to 2A
LOSES Bracken County Up to 2A
LOSES Crittenden County Up to 2A
LOSES Fort Knox Up to 2A

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Down4theblue said:

Looks like Anderson Co Moves up to 5A. 
Looks like Grant Co goes down 4A

Looks like Scott High moves from 5A

With Great Crossing and Douglas moving to 6A 

Whitley Co moves down to 4A

I can see some major shuffling on 5A district 6,7,8. Could see anderson joining  7. Scott high joining 6 and Madison Southern Moving to 8. 

Way too much travel for Scott. They have to drive by all the other NKY schools to play in that district. There would have to be some movement because right now there are 6 NKY teams in 5a with this alignment. If Cov Cath moves up that would make 7. Then you might see someone like South Oldham added to one of the NKY districts like they were when Scott was last in 5a with Conner, Cooper, South Oldham all in district together. I think Grant was the 5th team back then. 

• Like 2

• theguru changed the title to 2023-2024 Football Realignment