The Logo (Jerry West) Passes Away

• theguru changed the title to The Logo (Jerry West) Passes Away

As pops said, what an iconic figure. Most know Jerry West for his HOF career as an executive, but he was an all-time great player. Many dismiss him because he played in a bygone era, but the dude was a straight-up bucket and one of the league's most elite defenders. Ten-time all-NBA first team.

Sad to hear of his passing.   I always held him in high regard and felt that he did things his (the right) way  regardless of the circumstances, both on the court and in the front office.    I'm curious how many times his nose was broken.   Maybe set the over/under at 5.5?

33 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

This Dr J version is the only one I'd consider. 

Screenshot_20240613-091045_Google.jpg

Not bad. SAS was telling a story yesterday about how West called him one day and agreed with him that Jordan should be the logo as he is the GOAT.

As I alluded to, many think West was just some guy back in the day and not worthy of the logo designation. An interesting exercise is to do a Mount Rushmore of the Lakers. He would be on it for me.

6 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

It should be Jordan, IMHO. 

Jumpman? Probably got to pay Nike for that. 

I wouldn't mind if they picked an absolute no doubt about it LEGEND every 5 years and changed it. MJ one term, Kareem throwing up the Skyhook the next, silhouette of Oscar grabbing a rebound the next, Wilt, Magic, Bird, Doc, Russell, LeBron, Steph...dudes that impacted the sport beyond being great on it. No Pippen, Karl Malone, Barkley, Clay, Ewing or other top 50-75 also rans, just the straight up top 10 to 15 dudes of all-time lined out for the next 50 years. By the time they make the next list for logo consideration I'll be in a better place.

The logo is the logo. Jerry West was never asked to be the logo. The NBA has never acknowledged West is the logo. West never received or asked for a penny for the logo. At this point it is the NBA's and I say leave it alone. Nothing to gain in changing it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Jumpman? Probably got to pay Nike for that. 

I wouldn't mind if they picked an absolute no doubt about it LEGEND every 5 years and changed it. MJ one term, Kareem throwing up the Skyhook the next, silhouette of Oscar grabbing a rebound the next, Wilt, Magic, Bird, Doc, Russell, LeBron, Steph...dudes that impacted the sport beyond being great on it. No Pippen, Karl Malone, Barkley, Clay, Ewing or other top 50-75 also rans, just the straight up top 10 to 15 dudes of all-time lined out for the next 50 years. By the time they make the next list for logo consideration I'll be in a better place.

That's why it wouldn't be.  That is the silhouette of Jordan everyone knows and Nike owns that logo.

I vote Kobe.

EE29D965-80DB-46E9-85F3-91734568C112.webp

images.jpeg

As seen on Facebook:

Jerry West the Logo! 🐐
Rest in Peace Legend! 
1972 NBA champion 
1969 NBA Finals MVP 
14x All-Star
12x All-NBA Team
5x All-Defensive Team
8x NBA champion as executive