Best Gyms in the State

7 hours ago, tcjkbt said:

Perhaps Atherton's most acclaimed players were All-American  Charlie Tyra (1950's)  and Rick Wilson (1980's....I believe), both of whom played at UL.    So, it's been a while, yes.   Charlie's son is the AD at UL.

Rick Wilson was a senior at Atherton in 1974.  It was a good year for high school basketball in Kentucky - along with Rick Wilson (U of L), Jack Givens was at Bryan Station (UK), James Lee at Henry Clay (UK), Kenny Higgs at Owensboro (LSU), Bob Lindsay at Ballard (Florida),Robert Miller at Central (Cincinnati).

• Like 2

🏀 Looking for a small gym with both character and championship pedigree? Welcome to the cozy confines of "The Finn" at Covington Holy Cross.

Completed in time for the Indians run to the 1965 Boys Sweet 16 final, the gym features mid-century modern wooden beams, and all 780 seats offer great views of "George Schneider Court." 50 years later Holy Cross would hoist the 2015 Girls Sweet 16 Championship banner. I love this place; lots of great memories here.

The Rev. Thomas B. Finn Activity Center ~ In the stands and on the court, at the corner of 36th and Church Streets in Latonia.

holycross-nflgrant1.jpg

holycross-covcath.jpg

3-19-2013-10145-PM.jpg

holycross1965regionalchamps (1).jpg

• Like 3

On 5/1/2021 at 7:02 AM, Runcible Owl said:

🏀 Looking for a small gym with both character and championship pedigree? Welcome to the cozy confines of "The Finn" at Covington Holy Cross.

Completed in time for the Indians run to the 1965 Boys Sweet 16 final, the gym features mid-century modern wooden beams, and all 780 seats offer great views of "George Schneider Court." 50 years later Holy Cross would hoist the 2015 Girls Sweet 16 Championship banner. I love this place; lots of great memories here.

The Rev. Thomas B. Finn Activity Center ~ In the stands and on the court, at the corner of 36th and Church Streets in Latonia.

holycross-nflgrant1.jpg

holycross-covcath.jpg

3-19-2013-10145-PM.jpg

The same George Schneider that ached at Covington Catholic?

2 minutes ago, punttheball said:

The same George Schneider that coached at Covington Catholic?

Yes sir. Came in as Assistant Principle first, became baseball Head Coach in '73, then basketball Head Coach for the '75-'76 season. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 3:30 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I've always wanted to check out a game at Mason County's Fieldhouse, if for no other reason than to force @mcpapa buy me some popcorn.

1581267091_MasonCounttFieldhouse1.thumb.jpg.af84bc3ffd8cb2fc4c41b5f032c07c65.jpg

57425005_MasonCounttFieldhouse2.thumb.jpg.448a6e4b28a190323b44fb9301aba2b5.jpg

2091887870_MasonCounttFieldhouse3.thumb.jpg.f890580605520d658b8b3f162d920fb0.jpg

Those pics are from last year.  We need pics prior to Covid with the gym completely packed for a Regional Tournament game!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The old Racer Arena on Murray State’s campus was always my favorite place to watch a high school game. Before they built that new hideous monstrosity in the late 90’s, early 2000’s, they would cram 5,000 high school fans in Racer Arena for the last two rounds of the 1st region tournament. My last two years of school it was Marshall, Mayfield, Tilghman, and Graves. At the time, all four had great followings. Couple the size of the crowd, with the 360-degree seating, and the low ceilings and you had a noise box that could erupt at any minute. The best part with those four schools was being able to look at any corner of the gym and know where each school’s section of tickets was.

The Sportscenter in Owensboro is close, but it has too much wasted space and not enough floor seating for my taste. This is especially true after the recent management group renovated. That $6 hamburger is ridiculous as well. 

I always liked watching games at the Owensboro Sportscenter.  I like how the court is below the seating areas so that even if the first few rows you get a somewhat overhead view of the games.  Very similar to Owensboro's Rash Stadium for football. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Irish Cat said:

I always liked watching games at the Owensboro Sportscenter.  I like how the court is below the seating areas so that even if the first few rows you get a somewhat overhead view of the games.  Very similar to Owensboro's Rash Stadium for football. 

Back in the 1970's, Owensboro, Owensboro Catholic, and Apollo all played their home games at the Sportscenter, along with Kentucky Wesleyan.  There was a LOT of basketball at the Sportscenter.  

On 5/8/2021 at 8:26 PM, maysvilleky said:

Those pics are from last year.  We need pics prior to Covid with the gym completely packed for a Regional Tournament game!

I’ve never been to the Mason County’s Fieldhouse but it looks strikingly similar to Knott County Central’s 5,000 seat gymnasium.