Best Gyms in the State

7 hours ago, The Professor said:

Yeah, they embellish the numbers in most of them. 

Every gym should have an "Occupancy Certificate" posted near one of the entrances. The number is calculated by the Fire Department and a formula is used to come up with that number. In a lot of gyms there may be 2 numbers. One for use as a gym. The other for place of assembly, meaning the gym floor being used for crowds or set up for banquets. Square footage and number of exits(and square footage of exits) come into play. If the local Fire Department is doing their job there should be no fudging of numbers.

57 minutes ago, punttheball said:

Every gym should have an "Occupancy Certificate" posted near one of the entrances. The number is calculated by the Fire Department and a formula is used to come up with that number. In a lot of gyms there may be 2 numbers. One for use as a gym. The other for place of assembly, meaning the gym floor being used for crowds or set up for banquets. Square footage and number of exits(and square footage of exits) come into play. If the local Fire Department is doing their job there should be no fudging of numbers.

Well, I could see how the numbers for occupancy would be higher if seating on the floor for events other than basketball is considered in the count. Breathitt would come close to the 4,000 number listed if chair seating on the playing court is part of the total. But obviously for a basketball game there would be no court seating, only bleachers. The total attendance is going to be much lower than what’s listed on the wall. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

Haven't they had issues in the past with someone opening one of the exteriors doors (because it's been so hot) and the cold air condensing all the moisture inside and making the floors slippery?  Maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else.

Not during the middle ages when I was there for games.  I know Holy Cross gym used to have similar issues as you describe, not sure if CovCath used to have the same but I know back in the day it could get rather warm there as well.

13 hours ago, Runcible Owl said:

#wastwnd

I agree with this. The gym is pretty modest by today's standards. It seats 1200+, but when it (and New Cath's gym) was built in 1954 it was the largest in the Greater Cincinnati area. Even with the later additions, it doesn't have a "wow" factor.

What makes it special?

The quality of play on the floor is one part of it. Ongoing rivalries within the 9th region, the GCL schools, and back in the day, visits by the legendary 60's and 70's Central and Male teams.

The second, and for some the best part, is watching the student section. From groups like "The Back of the Bus Club," to "The Bourgeoisie," sprang today's "Colonel Crazies." For me, the generations of the kids in the stands have made an ordinary gym special.

Here are a few pics from the Feb. '73 home game vs. New Cath (with *gasp* cheerleaders). Can't make it to Park Hills? The "home team" travels well too.

IMG_20210414_135137__01.jpg

IMG_20210414_144341__01.jpg

1500x500 (79).jpeg

It was also crazy back in the 70s when CovCath and Holmes got together.  I know I always enjoyed the crazy Covcath cheering section back then. It just made a great competitive atmosphere at Evans Fieldhouse and CovCath gym.  Great days, great athletes, fun times.

• Like 1

In the Second Region Hopkinsville, Madisonville, Henderson and Christian Co all have nice gyms.  If you want to go for the experience Trigg and Dawson are great environments to watch a game.  Has anyone got any photos of the Old Gym that Central City played in? That was a great place to get homered!!!!!

• Like 1

Most of the gyms in Louisville are "cookie cutters."  I'd like to know what Shawnee or Atherton would be like if filled to capacity.  Ballard's campus is nice.  There is a good vibe as you walk up to enter the gym on a night when there's a big game.

2 hours ago, The Flea Market said:

In the Second Region Hopkinsville, Madisonville, Henderson and Christian Co all have nice gyms.  If you want to go for the experience Trigg and Dawson are great environments to watch a game.  Has anyone got any photos of the Old Gym that Central City played in? That was a great place to get homered!!!!!

...calling @Colonels_Wear_Blue

On 4/13/2021 at 2:38 PM, se7ens said:

In no order:

Augusta

CovCath

Holmes

GRC

Valley

Mason County Fieldhouse

Wayne County

Clay County

Knott County Central

Marion County

Bullitt East

Played my first HS game at Augusta, coached in a game in my last year of coaching 40+ years later. Love the atmosphere.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, The Flea Market said:

In the Second Region Hopkinsville, Madisonville, Henderson and Christian Co all have nice gyms.  If you want to go for the experience Trigg and Dawson are great environments to watch a game.  Has anyone got any photos of the old gym that Central City played in? That was a great place to get homered!!!!!

I think this is it. The gold on the floor matches the book cover. For the history buffs: the Golden Tide was once the winningest program in the state and won 15 - 3rd/4th Region titles between 1928 and 1959. Former UofL coach Peck Hickman played on the first four of them.

CentralCityConventionCenter1.jpg

51JHPlLrwcL._AC_SY780_.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/14/2021 at 1:48 PM, mcpapa said:

I've seen where the Montgomery County gym is supposed to be able to hold 7,000 (Wikipedia); but it's smaller than the Fieldhouse.  Something along the lines of 4,500 is more realistic.

Montgomery-4.jpg

Those are some seriously BA ceiling fans. I've never seen seen "open" fans in a gym before. Cool.

This is the only photo I could find of the gym at Valley. I'm hoping someone can share better ones. Love the natural light pouring in.

Can one of our Louisville contingent tell us more about the gym at Valley Station? I know the JCPS hosts Regionals here. The LIT and state volleyball tournaments are held there too.

Is it similar to the gym at Fairdale? How many does it seat? Are there two gyms at Valley (and Fairdale)? Thanks in advance.

17034398-17034398.jpg

46 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

This is the only photo I could find of the gym at Valley. I'm hoping someone can share better ones. Love the natural light pouring in.

Can one of our Louisville contingent tell us more about the gym at Valley Station? I know the JCPS hosts Regionals here. The LIT and state volleyball tournaments are held there too.

Is it similar to the gym at Fairdale? How many does it seat? Are there two gyms at Valley (and Fairdale)? Thanks in advance.

17034398-17034398.jpg

Here is my recall and someone pease correct me if I wrong.

Fairdale has two gyms , side by side in the same building.  ...Valley has one and it is much bigger than either of Fairdale's.   Valley has elevated walkways on one end, maybe on both.   No seats at the ends of the floor.  There is some room to stand on the walkways but there are no seats and I don't think standing is really permitted---maybe for SRO events.    Not sure of Valley's seating capacity but I think I remember it was 3,000 +/-.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1