Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Montgomery County’s (relatively) new gym is nice. I haven’t been yet, but Clark County is on the list.  

A pair of nice smaller gyms in the 10th are at Bracken County and Robertson County.  

There is a downside to The Igloo, however, that might give you second thoughts about making the trip. 

 

 

 

There’s a strong likelihood that Parker will be in attendance.  Fair warning.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

There's a newer gym I saw someone in post a picture of on Facebook recently-ish that looked really impressive from the pictures. I want to say it was in Eastern Kentucky somewhere, and I'm totally racking my brain to remember what it was...might have to make a deep dive on Google here sometime this evening.

Ahhhh, that's what it was. Breathitt County's Fairce O. Woods Coliseum. Built in 1963 and renovated in the last year after a fire in May 2020. Looks pretty awesome.

483441654_FairceOWoods10.thumb.jpg.94682a80275bcac9c03cce1e9897ff9b.jpg 

1646654060_FairceOWoods9.thumb.jpg.650a6043682151de1e52df687eff52b9.jpg

571350970_FairceOWoods6.jpg.adb928c5818924b61bb5a884bb1e1c8a.jpg

314361414_FairceOWoods7.thumb.jpg.8ae9f5a3b7c43e258a0452c54785c627.jpg

123805649_FairceOWoods4.thumb.jpg.fde98333555d581cb52370cc1913aa92.jpg

456529307_FairceOWoods5.thumb.jpg.5742980b28a89913d4f8eaf8da9c69d7.jpg

1683056380_FairceOWoods8.thumb.jpg.4099b6d9a70e53a81a8d7e97ce23afdf.jpg

1497101927_FairceOWoods3.thumb.jpg.dea891a3d6782c97d24291af543ef24b.jpg

1954922236_FairceOWoods.jpg.5b1018c7a96949947ffb0a721a14508f.jpg

904511265_FairceOWoods2.thumb.jpg.1734b9d1d7195d6a06e4398014a2fce3.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

Augusta and Mason County are the two that I've visited that stick out most to me. 

The one time I've been to Mason County was the 10th Region Final in either 2003 or 2004, can't remember exactly which, but it was bonkers in there. 

Augusta and Mason County are my two favorites.  When did you go to Augusta?

Marshall County, Henry County, and Valley are 3 that I want to take in.  And Breathitt County too.  Those pictures look great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I believe Augusta is the oldest high school gymnasium in use in the state. Went to a middle school game there way back. Absolutely need to make it to a high school game at the Panther Den.

Augusta1.jpg.54d07b5897658d876b8e2e00edf25971.jpg

Augusta2.thumb.jpg.8cc2b4a99eeb1d98238d9ccd8d7f2fa0.jpg

Augusta3.thumb.jpg.77c5567cea5379b8414a003589ce9060.jpg

Augusta4.thumb.jpg.a2bc6cd6640a266d73d34852956b4b40.jpg

I went a few years ago when Augusta was really good. They played Bracken County and it was packed, competitive, and about a million degrees. Probably my favorite place in all of Kentucky!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Ahhhh, that's what it was. Breathitt County's Fairce O. Woods Coliseum. Built in 1963 and renovated in the last year after a fire in May 2020. Looks pretty awesome.

483441654_FairceOWoods10.thumb.jpg.94682a80275bcac9c03cce1e9897ff9b.jpg 

1646654060_FairceOWoods9.thumb.jpg.650a6043682151de1e52df687eff52b9.jpg

571350970_FairceOWoods6.jpg.adb928c5818924b61bb5a884bb1e1c8a.jpg

314361414_FairceOWoods7.thumb.jpg.8ae9f5a3b7c43e258a0452c54785c627.jpg

123805649_FairceOWoods4.thumb.jpg.fde98333555d581cb52370cc1913aa92.jpg

456529307_FairceOWoods5.thumb.jpg.5742980b28a89913d4f8eaf8da9c69d7.jpg

1683056380_FairceOWoods8.thumb.jpg.4099b6d9a70e53a81a8d7e97ce23afdf.jpg

1497101927_FairceOWoods3.thumb.jpg.dea891a3d6782c97d24291af543ef24b.jpg

1954922236_FairceOWoods.jpg.5b1018c7a96949947ffb0a721a14508f.jpg

904511265_FairceOWoods2.thumb.jpg.1734b9d1d7195d6a06e4398014a2fce3.jpg

So glad the fire wasn't a destructive as it could have been. I've never been to Breathitt for basketball but it is definitely on the bucket list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I always thought Henry County's Roy L. Winchester Gymnasium had a cool feel to it.

879263231_HenryCountyRoyLWinchesterGymnasium2.jpg.d5978e34542d5327d51301c8494c6b79.jpg

1527588532_HenryCountyRoyLWinchesterGymnasium.thumb.jpg.138a121514fd6a328e2ddd27350d19ab.jpg

539591679_HenryCountyRoyLWinchesterGymnasium3.thumb.jpg.4aa44e23d0f10d49e71fdc3faf7e38c0.jpg

Went to a regular season game there a few years ago (part of the Henry County Invitational). Obviously didn't get the feel like you would for a region tournament game but it was a cool place.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I've always wanted to check out a game at Mason County's Fieldhouse, if for no other reason than to force @mcpapa buy me some popcorn.

1581267091_MasonCounttFieldhouse1.thumb.jpg.af84bc3ffd8cb2fc4c41b5f032c07c65.jpg

57425005_MasonCounttFieldhouse2.thumb.jpg.448a6e4b28a190323b44fb9301aba2b5.jpg

2091887870_MasonCounttFieldhouse3.thumb.jpg.f890580605520d658b8b3f162d920fb0.jpg

Went to a Mason County regular season game a couple of years back. Crowd was solid but the place is so enormous it just swallowed them up. I can't imagine what some of those classic 10th Region tournament games with the Feldhauses, Chris Lofton, Darius Miller, etc. would have been like.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, theguru said:

I have always like Holmes. 

We scrimmaged Holmes my junior year. Lost by about fifty. Spent a lot of time on the bench admiring the gym! 😄

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

There's a newer gym I saw someone in post a picture of on Facebook recently-ish that looked really impressive from the pictures. I want to say it was in Eastern Kentucky somewhere, and I'm totally racking my brain to remember what it was...might have to make a deep dive on Google here sometime this evening.

Maybe Harlan County?

Harlan County High School

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Went to a Mason County regular season game a couple of years back. Crowd was solid but the place is so enormous it just swallowed them up. I can't imagine what some of those classic 10th Region tournament games with the Feldhauses, Chris Lofton, Darius Miller, etc. would have been like.

Maysville's final game will forever be etched in my memory.  Place was jam-packed and numerous adults were in tears when the Bulldogs lost on a buzzer beater.  1991.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Western Hills gym seemed different to me. I don’t have pictures but seem to be similar to Breathitt Co. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mcpapa said:

And as the ultimate demonstration of my generosity, that even includes Can’tcoach, Mustang, Runcible Owl and the Parker brat.  

Any other BGPers probably rate a pop as well.  

He's not kidding. Even delivered a bag to my wife a few years ago at the regional tourney.  I don't care what Parker says about him; mcpapa is a good guy. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There certainly are some very nice gyms in the state.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

Maysville's final game will forever be etched in my memory.  Place was jam-packed and numerous adults were in tears when the Bulldogs lost on a buzzer beater.  1991.

What a game.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Can'tcoach said:

He's not kidding. Even delivered a bag to my wife a few years ago at the regional tourney.  I don't care what Parker says about him; mcpapa is a good guy. 

Aw, shucks.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.