Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

I wouldn’t be surprised if the KHSAA doesn’t move all Fall and Winter sports to Spring of 2021 along with Spring sports and tell the Schools to hash it out. Talk about making a student athlete choose between sports. And a logistic nightmare!

No way that would work.

Just watched video from distributed bio’s facebook page. They said they think they have the best antibodies for COVID and believe they are strong and will work. They said next step is to show they work in animals. Then will start human trials which will take through summer. They said they can also prevent the illness in healthcare workers saying an injection could provide 8-10 weeks of protection. This video was April 10th and will give another update first week of May so hopefully they will have some good news. I see a lot of doom and gloom which is warranted but I see hope and optimism.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the KHSAA doesn’t move all Fall and Winter sports to Spring of 2021 along with Spring sports and tell the Schools to hash it out. Talk about making a student athlete choose between sports. And a logistic nightmare!

I'd be floored.

*Not enough athletes.

*Not enough trainers.

*Not enough coaches (especially those who do multiple sports)

*Not enough fields (lacrosse, football, track, field hockey, soccer all use same place at many schools).

*Not enough refs.

But sure, let's put the square peg in the round hole.

Some of these sports don't draw or make squat.

No way KHSAA would endear that burden when already strapped for cash and on life support.

I'd be floored.

*Not enough athletes.

*Not enough trainers.

*Not enough coaches (especially those who do multiple sports)

*Not enough fields (lacrosse, football, track, field hockey, soccer all use same place at many schools).

*Not enough refs.

But sure, let's put the square peg in the round hole.

Some of these sports don't draw or make squat.

No way KHSAA would endear that burden when already strapped for cash and on life support.

Furthermore the Small schools that are living on Life support already. Many schools wouldn't be able to overcome such a move.

Would be tough to move fall sports since many kids play multiple sports so would interfere with basketball, track, and lacrosse the most.

All sports who already lost the entire 2020 Season! (except basketball, but arguably the most important part of the basketball season)

It seems to me that the numbers don’t appear to be dropping but yet states are beginning to open stuff back up that they believe either things are improving or some kind of medicine is on the way. Also to believe kids could go to school and social distance is completely ridiculous anyone who has kids knows better than that, so that being the case if schools are back in there is no more chance in spreading the virus through sports than through school. My only thought is that they could push the season back 3 weeks if needed like this 1. No bye week. 2. No first round playoff games these are usually blowouts anyway. 3. Extend the season just one week that way you still don’t get into the holidays although I don’t think that matters as much as some because they play basketball during the holiday season.

Would be tough to move fall sports since many kids play multiple sports so would interfere with basketball, track, and lacrosse the most.

It could be done, but it would require extreme schedule limitations with certain sports (and meets) only done on certain days to allow athletes an opportunity to play more than one sport, and to keep from over-stressing the available official pool. Not sure how that would work for the softball coach who also heads up the boys' soccer program — a lot of coaches don different hats depending on the time of the year.

It seems to me that the numbers don’t appear to be dropping but yet states are beginning to open stuff back up that they believe either things are improving or some kind of medicine is on the way. Also to believe kids could go to school and social distance is completely ridiculous anyone who has kids knows better than that, so that being the case if schools are back in there is no more chance in spreading the virus through sports than through school. My only thought is that they could push the season back 3 weeks if needed like this 1. No bye week. 2. No first round playoff games these are usually blowouts anyway. 3. Extend the season just one week that way you still don’t get into the holidays although I don’t think that matters as much as some because they play basketball during the holiday season.

Teams don't have their bye weeks at the same time.

Teams don't have their bye weeks at the same time.
I understand not all teams do but a lot of teams take their bye right before their toughest district game so a lot of them would have it at the same time and some other teams might have to schedule another game with someone with the same bye week and there would probably be a few that would lose a game but I still believe that would be a better option than just playing half the season. Can you imagine playing a 4 game regular season you might only have to go 8-0 to have a undefeated season you would always think that you got jabbed.

This actually makes sense, so it won’t happen.

I understand not all teams do but a lot of teams take their bye right before their toughest district game so a lot of them would have it at the same time and some other teams might have to schedule another game with someone with the same bye week and there would probably be a few that would lose a game but I still believe that would be a better option than just playing half the season. Can you imagine playing a 4 game regular season you might only have to go 8-0 to have a undefeated season you would always think that you got jabbed.

I see that you did understand my point that some teams would not be able to play a game on their bye week anyway because they wouldn't to get one another team on their schedule to accommodate that time period because of that team's schedule. In order to make it work, the KHSAA and the schools would basically have to start scheduling from scratch.

I hear a lot of talk about the "new normal" and things will never go back to the way they were pre-COVID19. Maybe that new normal for education is at risk employees either take their chances or they need to leave education.

I know some people are going to be unhappy with me for saying that but at some point we need to move past statements of the problem and start coming up with workable solutions.

Education is evolving into one of the most dangerous professions.

The KHSAA released their revised COVID-19 Policies and Guidance today. I am going to pick through some of it and post it.

Facilities on school-owned property including competition and practice facilities, weight rooms and similar, as well as those facilities managed or in any way owned by the school or school system (all schools grades 6-12) shall remain closed for use related to sports or sport-activities in any manner through at least May 31.

Coaches may not be involved at those facilities, other than necessary maintenance that can be done using acceptable social distance regulations.

School facilities, uniforms, nicknames, transportation or equipment, may not be used in any KHSAA-sanctioned sport or sport-activity.

No athletics (are allowed to) be able to be held until at least July.

Students shall not participate in any organized element of sport or sport-activity or organized, semi-organized or informal competition in any sport or sport-activity in any format at any member school location or any facility owned by the Board of Education of a member school.

Students may not use any school or school system owned athletic or sport or sport-activity related equipment at any member school location or any facility owned by the Board of Education of a member school.

No activity may be required of student-athletes at any location, on or off a school campus.

Students may not receive in-person coaching or training from school personnel (either salaried or non-salaried) in any KHSAA sanctioned sport or sport-activity; and

Coach and Player interaction should be restricted to virtual / distance methods, but are not restricted in terms of content, only restricted in terms of being bound to only enrolled students at the school.

School representatives should also be mindful that currently, NCAA recruiting activities have been suspended by the NCAA through the end of May.

This restricted period does not preclude communication between school, athletic department, and coaching representatives to team members and/or communication within the families of players on the current roster.

This restricted period allows for instruction and communication that may include video and other methods of staying in touch with team members as well as guidance for maintaining physical fitness and readiness for sports or sport-activities, provided such is not mandatory.

Currently, private instruction at an individual’s home or at a facility is prohibited.

The information related to the Covid-19 (coronavirus) is ever-evolving, and changes happen quickly. We will inform all stakeholders if there are any changes in circumstances.

The news release from the Kentucky High School Athletic Association can be read in full at the below link:

4/29/2- Revised Covid-19 Policies and Guidance Issued, May 1 to May 31 | Kentucky High School Athletic Association