Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

Basketball? No equipment between players.

Put face shields on helmets and football equipment actually would shield players from each better than a lot of sports.

Basketball is probably second, less players on the court and I don’t see all players wearing shields. Think about the contact between lineman on each and every play, then the piles during gang-tackles, heck even the huddles to call a play. I sure hope they figure out a way, we need football!

If 1 player catches CV the whole team will have it by day 2.

That sounds waaayyyy too extreme to me.

Presently in our county that contains 7 football playing schools, only 1 in 2,000 of our normal/healthy residents that includes teenagers, but excludes nursing homes, has been diagnosed with the disease.

Our teens find ways to get together, hang out, and socialize, yet have not spread the disease among themselves, but you purport that if one football player contracts the disease that 49 more will have it the next day. C'mon, That is totally unreasonable.

If that is the case we might as well all go out and shoot ourselves, because this disease is going to win out and we are all eventually going to catch it..

While 99% of your post seems well thought out and well informed, you are saying that by playing football, our 1 in 2,000 number would have the potential to jump to 50 of 50, or with seven teams competing 350 of 350 among football players.

No way!!!

Presently in our county that contains 7 football playing schools, only 1 in 2,000 of our normal/healthy residents that includes teenagers, but excludes nursing homes, has been diagnosed with the disease.

....with two months of social distancing restrictions. :ohbrother:

Our teens find ways to get together, hang out, and socialize, yet have not spread the disease among themselves, but you purport that if one football player contracts the disease that 49 more will have it the next day. C'mon, That is totally unreasonable.

If that is the case we might as well all go out and shoot ourselves, because this disease is going to win out and we are all eventually going to catch it..

While 99% of your post seems well thought out and well informed, you are saying that by playing football, our 1 in 2,000 number would have the potential to jump to 50 of 50, or with seven teams competing 350 of 350 among football players.

No way!!!

The teens may not have the disease. That may not be the case when the world goes from 5 mph to 60 mph over the next few months.

That comment was on the ability of containing this disease to one kid in a locker room, so maybe it will be less about when he contracts and more about the time he becomes contagious.

Chances are that kid had been contagious for 3-4 days before he felt he needed to go to the doctor. He practiced, coughed on, drank after, yelled at, etc. his teammates during those 3-4 days.

No way!!!

Either South Korea or Taiwan has stated that if one of their professional baseball players tests positive, they will shut the league down for 3 weeks.

The teens may not have the disease. That may not be the case when the world goes from 5 mph to 60 mph over the next few months.

If that is true, then we've merely spun our wheels the past eight weeks, and prolonged the onset of this thing rather than protected ourselves from it.

With many other states 'opening up" it should become obvious within the next couple of weeks if we have "plateaued" or whether we have simply delayed the inevitable.

It seems a shame that we would add football to the list of life's casualties to CV, without giving it a try. Our youth seem to be our most resilient and likely to recover from it. At some point we are going to have in invoke "At Your Own Risk" and learn, for better or worse, how it plays out.

I saw on FootballScoop Georgia has a tentative timeline of when football could start back up. Obviously nothing is definitive and they’re still collecting data, but they have it as a possibility to begin 2 hr. practices in only helmets on July 6th. With me being in FL I’ll take any take the positive outlook!

Speaking from our area, we had numerous people/students out sick in the late fall/early winter time period that:

1. Didn't have Flu A

2. Didn't have Flu B

3. Didn't have Strep

4. Told they had "something viral"

Some stayed home for a little while, came back, and then had to go back to the doctor for same symptoms. Others were out for much longer. Our school system shut down multiple times before we ever heard of COVID-19.

This is my 17th year teaching. I had never seen anything like it before.

Then this mysterious Coronavirus just shows up...