Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

Again, it doesn’t change the fact that coaches, players and their families often make what vacation plans they have for those two weeks of the year. There’s potentially a lot of conflict that would be created by cancelling the normal dead period. What do you do as a coach who has travel plans (which is really your only opportunity for the year) and now your expected to have practice.

I get that people are itching to get back at it. But you’re creating possible big problems and conflicts for two weeks of work. Keep it as is...those two weeks aren’t making or breaking anyone’s season.

All of those are valid concerns, and if coaches and schools want to maintain that dead period they can, but it may not be a bad idea to give teams the choice to have open workouts so those that want to use the time to work towards the beginning of the season can.

All of those are valid concerns, and if coaches and schools want to maintain that dead period they can, but it may not be a bad idea to give teams the choice to have open workouts so those that want to use the time to work towards the beginning of the season can.

While giving schools the “choice” sounds logical, you know that there will be instances where it isn’t really a choice. As a coach and a parent I value the dead period, as it was the only time I could travel to see my family as sports occupied pretty much the other 50 weeks of the year. You can’t take that away from folks, especially given the current situation. It’s two weeks. I’d rather see the dead period extended two weeks this year to give people a chance to get away.

Edited by rjs4470

Again, it doesn’t change the fact that coaches, players and their families often make what vacation plans they have for those two weeks of the year. There’s potentially a lot of conflict that would be created by cancelling the normal dead period. What do you do as a coach who has travel plans (which is really your only opportunity for the year) and now your expected to have practice.

I get that people are itching to get back at it. But you’re creating possible big problems and conflicts for two weeks of work. Keep it as is...those two weeks aren’t making or breaking anyone’s season.

Especially given the fact that it impacts everyone across the board.

Did anyone hear Lincoln Riley's comments about his team going back to practice? I believe it is the SEC and maybe others that are looking at bringing kids back to campus June 1. Riley blasted that as being way too soon. His position is you bring the kids back at the last day possible to get started on time for the fall season. Put safety first and let as much as possible happen to reduce new cases, possible treatments get developed, etc.

In this thread, that take equals keep the dead period going as long as you can while keeping the scheduled season start in place.

Did anyone hear Lincoln Riley's comments about his team going back to practice? I believe it is the SEC and maybe others that are looking at bringing kids back to campus June 1. Riley blasted that as being way too soon. His position is you bring the kids back at the last day possible to get started on time for the fall season. Put safety first and let as much as possible happen to reduce new cases, possible treatments get developed, etc.

In this thread, that take equals keep the dead period going as long as you can while keeping the scheduled season start in place.

I heard him and don't necessarily disagree. I don't see the reasoning behind bringing guys back earlier than you would for a normal fall camp.

You bring players back not to practice, but from the strength and conditioning aspect. If everything was going on as normal players would have been lifting weights and running this entire time. Now with such a long lay off brining players back when fall camp starts causes more problems because strength programs are not just to get players bigger, faster, and stronger; they’re first and for most designed to prevent injuries. June 1st maybe too early but August 1st is too late if you’re planning on playing the beginning of August. Some is said for high school.

You bring players back not to practice, but from the strength and conditioning aspect. If everything was going on as normal players would have been lifting weights and running this entire time. Now with such a long lay off brining players back when fall camp starts causes more problems because strength programs are not just to get players bigger, faster, and stronger; they’re first and for most designed to prevent injuries. June 1st maybe too early but August 1st is too late if you’re planning on playing the beginning of August. Some is said for high school.

Bring them back at the end of the normal dead period, just like a normal year.

Lifting programs are important. However there are tons of multi sport athletes that don’t participate in off season programs. And that doesn’t solve the problem for those players and coaches that already have plans for the dead period. While making optional is a solution, we all know the word optional is a loosely used term.

Allow lifting/conditioning starting at the end of the dead period. Start camp August 1st. Cancel the first two weeks of the season, Teams will have had 7 weeks to get ready to start playing in September. No need to make things complicated.

Lifting programs are important. However there are tons of multi sport athletes that don’t participate in off season programs. And that doesn’t solve the problem for those players and coaches that already have plans for the dead period. While making optional is a solution, we all know the word optional is a loosely used term.

Allow lifting/conditioning starting at the end of the dead period. Start camp August 1st. Cancel the first two weeks of the season, Teams will have had 7 weeks to get ready to start playing in September. No need to make things complicated.

Yes, but those multi-sport players are typically competing in a sport. What have they been doing the last 2 months? Football is the most physical of the sports which means player’s bodies must be in shape to withstand those constant collisions come Friday nights. The smaller the window of time to prepare for the season, the higher the risk of injury because the body isn’t prepared to take the constant pounding. But I’m sure the dead period will stay to give KHSAA more time to formulate a practical plan.

Yes, but those multi-sport players are typically competing in a sport. What have they been doing the last 2 months? Football is the most physical of the sports which means player’s bodies must be in shape to withstand those constant collisions come Friday nights. The smaller the window of time to prepare for the season, the higher the risk of injury because the body isn’t prepared to take the constant pounding. But I’m sure the dead period will stay to give KHSAA more time to formulate a practical plan.

I get it. Conditioning is important. But I don’t like taking away the only free time families have away from football in the summer.