Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

We’ve done our part. The curve is flattened. The hospitals have room. Flatten the curve has turned into wait for a vaccine. Let’s back to our normal. We don’t need a new normal.

I agree with most of your post. I question your last sentence. At this time we cannot go back to interacting the way we were before CV19. That is why we had to shut down. CV19 is still highly contagious and we have not developed a good treatment yet. If we don't change things to try and reduce risk of infection, the curve will get out of control and we will have to shutdown again. The methodical reopening and changed behaviors of how we are interacting are necessary now. It will be an evolution as we learn more. Things hopefully can get closer to pre CV19 as we move forward but we have to slowly work our way towards that.

While schools can model some of what they do after professional sports and colleges, we have to remember high schools don't have near the resources either of those two have. I read the other day the NFL is looking at putting a style of masks inside the helmet.

Not to mention the reason to play in the first place. Billions of dollars push these teams where high school is just playing for pride.

Even with A/B, AM/PM, or alternating weeks there is a lot to think about; sports can muddy the pond unless the entire team is on one schedule.

@hoops5

Transitions have to be cut to a minimum and public spaces cut out, including cafeterias. School will be nothing like we have known it before. I honestly am not looking forward to being the social distancing police. :facepalm:

The guiding document heavily suggested a split type schedule. I would be shocked if schools didn't use some form of that model. Somebody would be in hot water if they didn't and it was recommended.

While not the same dollar amount, high schools need football to happen so they can have money for the non revenue sports similar to college. A lot of fund raising takes place at football games from working concession stands, parking, selling programs. So it’s easy to say they play for “pride” but other extracurricular activities depend on football playing.

While not the same dollar amount, high schools need football to happen so they can have money for the non revenue sports similar to college. A lot of fund raising takes place at football games from working concession stands, parking, selling programs. So it’s easy to say they play for “pride” but other extracurricular activities depend on football playing.

Football revenue is big at some schools. Will be interesting what football looks like come August.

Per Les Dixon on Facebook. Les is a writer for the Times Tribune that covers the tri county in corbin. He has been keeping up with numbers a lot during this time.

“• Today’s overall average (8,286 cases divided by 166240 tests) now stands at an AWESOME 0.0498436000. We are now under 0.05.

• The first day I actually did averages (April 23) the state’s average was 0.0840031000. Look how far it has DROPPED.

• Today we had 135 new cases and 7,568 tests turned in and LOOK at today’s average. It’s the LOWEST I’ve seen in the month I’ve been doing this — 0.017883827. That number is amazing!

• We have now had 3,008 recovered, and only 92 people in ICU.”

All the positives / negatives being stated are mostly valid points. Let's put the back and forth aside and answer the two most critical questions to HS football / fall sports in general being played;

1. How do we have HS sports if we can not even have a full traditional style school day? Meaning, "we have to have A & B groups for school due to social distancing but it's ok to put ALL the athletes together for practice every day and then games vs other schools.. travel? buses? No way that works.

2. How do we test these athletes on a regular basis to make sure the virus is not spreading within a team? What school is going to put forth the money and man power to make that happen on a consistent basis. You would have to test every player prior to every game and nearly every practice.

50 ADULTS in a bar isn’t close to kids in a school or a football field.

Right, all things considered 50 adults in a bar is much more "dangerous" than mostly non-affected children playing ball or in a classroom.

Right, all things considered 50 adults in a bar is much more "dangerous" than mostly non-affected children playing ball or in a classroom.

1. Non- affected?

B. Adults...are we missing that schools are liable for these kids?