Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

Let’s not live in doom and gloom, we know the virus has been here since probably during last football season and we probably have all been exposed. You are either susceptible to it or not and most kids are at a health level where they will fight it off fairly well. We need to proceed with caution but we NEED to move forward and let these student athletes do what they love.

Let’s not live in doom and gloom, we know the virus has been here since probably during last football season and we probably have all been exposed. You are either susceptible to it or not and most kids are at a health level where they will fight it off fairly well. We need to proceed with caution but we NEED to move forward and let these student athletes do what they love.

It does no good to spread stories like this. There has been sample testing in a couple places and there is no proof yet that I have seen of the virus being in the US before January. I agree with moving forward but slowly and safely.

The guidelines for reopening Kentucky schools have been shared through school districts.

The list of guiding questions are thorough (16 pages), and give school administration a lot to work on. I could be wrong, but I only saw one that pertained to sports and extracurricular activities.

How will schools and districts ensure that extra-curricular and co-curricular activities – such as clubs, student organizations and sports – are both safe and meaningful?

Observations

1. One question doesn't point to extracurriculars being a high priority.

2. "both safe and meaningful" ---eek! I'm not posting the rest of the questions on here, but this could be hard to prove in comparison to what will be occurring in the school day.

Before anybody loses their mind and accuses me of "gloom and doom," I'm just passing on the information in a realistic sense. The document used the phrase "new normal" several times and that sounded nothing like the old normal. To be honest, I don't even understand how a high school conducts in-person school following those guiding questions much less have any extracurriculars. I sure am glad it's all over my pay grade!

Read in the paper that Ohio had a committee recommending guidelines for youth sports and did not include anyone representing OHSAA nor high schools/middle schools on the committee. Guidelines were issued for youth sports to play but nothing for schools. Wyoming Schools AD said where do they think those youth teams play? She said no way she lets youth teams play at their facilities when their own kids are not allowed.

With the opening of professional facilities and with the NCAA allowing students back on campus June 1st for optional workouts, voting by conferences will determine when they will begin, it seems as this will trickle down to high school sports. If the various high school associations are wise they will look at their local universities to see how they are going about getting their work done on campus and still following their given guidelines.

Try as I might, I just don’t see this happening. “A couple thousand kids enter a building. The break into groups of 20-30, and go to a room for about 50 min. Then they go to another room with 20-30 different kids, for another 50 minutes. This happens 4 more times that day.”

I struggle more with the logistics of running a school day, than the logistics of sports.

Try as I might, I just don’t see this happening. “A couple thousand kids enter a building. The break into groups of 20-30, and go to a room for about 50 min. Then they go to another room with 20-30 different kids, for another 50 minutes. This happens 4 more times that day.”

I struggle more with the logistics of running a school day, than the logistics of sports.

A lot of schools are going to go to an “A/B” schedule. Students will be split in half and alternate days in school.

Ex: Week 1

A- In school M,W,F

B- In school Tu/Th

The next week they will switch. When they are not in school they will be doing NTI work from home. It makes sense and is by far the best option in my opinion. If you have 1000 kids in your school, you only have 500 there at a time in school days.

A lot of schools are going to go to an “A/B” schedule. Students will be split in half and alternate days in school.

Ex: Week 1

A- In school M,W,F

B- In school Tu/Th

The next week they will switch. When they are not in school they will be doing NTI work from home. It makes sense and is by far the best option in my opinion. If you have 1000 kids in your school, you only have 500 there at a time in school days.

Has that been confirmed that a lot of schools as you say will do that? Or is that just what you think will happen?

It does no good to spread stories like this. There has been sample testing in a couple places and there is no proof yet that I have seen of the virus being in the US before January. I agree with moving forward but slowly and safely.

There’s also no proof that it has caused 90,000 deaths either, but you were awful hung up on that yesterday.

Example:

I got a phone call about a potential exposure from a patient I had last week. 96-year-old who fell and broke a hip. He/she is not a surgical candidate. He/she was being sent back to the nursing home on comfort measures and with hospice. Before being sent back, he/she was swabbed and tested positive for Covid. On a GOOD day, the prognosis for survival with an unrepaired broken hip at 96 years old is a matter of days. When death occurs, this person will be reported as a Covid death even though they have had no symptoms of Covid. This is happening more often than you think. Why????????? Because under the CARES act, Medicare pays more for the Covid19 add-on. It’s like super-sizing the value meal.

There’s also no proof that it has caused 90,000 deaths either, but you were awful hung up on that yesterday.

Example:

I got a phone call about a potential exposure from a patient I had last week. 96-year-old who fell and broke a hip. He/she is not a surgical candidate. He/she was being sent back to the nursing home on comfort measures and with hospice. Before being sent back, he/she was swabbed and tested positive for Covid. On a GOOD day, the prognosis for survival with an unrepaired broken hip at 96 years old is a matter of days. When death occurs, this person will be reported as a Covid death even though they have had no symptoms of Covid. This is happening more often than you think. Why????????? Because under the CARES act, Medicare pays more for the Covid19 add-on. It’s like super-sizing the value meal.

How much does a hospital get paid for reporting cause of death as coronavirus?

How much does the coroner get paid for listing coronavirus as cause of death on a death certificate?

Let me help you out. The answer to both questions is zero.

Do us all a favor and spread that truth around on falsebook. I hope you don't lose any friends if you do that.

Edited by Voice of Reason

While schools can model some of what they do after professional sports and colleges, we have to remember high schools don't have near the resources either of those two have. I read the other day the NFL is looking at putting a style of masks inside the helmet.

Not to mention the reason to play in the first place. Billions of dollars push these teams where high school is just playing for pride.

Even with A/B, AM/PM, or alternating weeks there is a lot to think about; sports can muddy the pond unless the entire team is on one schedule.

@hoops5

Transitions have to be cut to a minimum and public spaces cut out, including cafeterias. School will be nothing like we have known it before. I honestly am not looking forward to being the social distancing police. :facepalm:

The guiding document heavily suggested a split type schedule. I would be shocked if schools didn't use some form of that model. Somebody would be in hot water if they didn't and it was recommended.