Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

Of course they will keep their dead period. MR. Tackett wouldn’t have it any other way.

Why is everyone so against a two week dead period? I know this is an unusual situation, but the same logic applies. People still might have vacations or other events scheduled during this time. Let high school athletes, coaches and parents have two weeks of a normal life without sports. Tackett and the KHSAA aren’t the bad guys or anti sports for enforcing a dead period that’s been in place and is usually the only two weeks of the summer that people have to do anything. Even with the shut down, that’s still likely true.

Everyone who receives a stipend for activities received a similar email in our district. In the email a KRS was cited as the reason. It involved if there was going to be a change in pay the employee was to be notified by a certain time in May I believe. If the KRS is not about that then my second guess is it’s the KRS that requires schools to inform employees by a certain date if they will be retained.

The more I think about it the more I believe football, on all levels, will go on as normal in the fall.

I agree. That doesn't mean it is safe or even takes that into consideration.

But I'm starting to realize I'm looking for things many aren't.

On a side note...If we have football this fall with no real change in this whole Pandemic, the concussion issue is over, right?

On a side note...If we have football this fall with no real change in this whole Pandemic, the concussion issue is over, right?

What does one have to do with the other?

What does one have to do with the other?

Nothing. Just a weak fallacy.

If we are entering the "play at your own risk" stage wouldn't that count for everything?

FWIW, I support every change in the game to avoid concussions.

At the end of the day people have to remember what the reason for the shutdown was. It was not to cure or to wait to get rid of the disease. It was to slow the curve so it wouldn’t overwhelm the health system. As long as it’s not overwhelming the health system, it very well may get looked at like other types of virus that have popped up over the last 20 years, that killed a lot of people, but didn’t shut everything down.

The initial shutdown was never to stay shutdown until there was a cure or a vaccine. If it was, then it would set a precedent to always shut down every time a pandemic happens. Which honestly just can’t happen.

There really isn’t a perfect answer or choice for any of this.

The normal dead period...my son and his teammates are over the dead period. For them to get back to normal, they want to work out and start the process.

This is my thinking too from a player and coach perspective. They’ve been off for a very long time and keeping the normal dead period sounds very redundant. Let the players and coaches get back to their “normal”, whatever that may look like.

This is my thinking too from a player and coach perspective. They’ve been off for a very long time and keeping the normal dead period sounds very redundant. Let the players and coaches get back to their “normal”, whatever that may look like.

Again, it doesn’t change the fact that coaches, players and their families often make what vacation plans they have for those two weeks of the year. There’s potentially a lot of conflict that would be created by cancelling the normal dead period. What do you do as a coach who has travel plans (which is really your only opportunity for the year) and now your expected to have practice.

I get that people are itching to get back at it. But you’re creating possible big problems and conflicts for two weeks of work. Keep it as is...those two weeks aren’t making or breaking anyone’s season.