Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should Rick Pitino go to prison?

Featured Replies

Anything wrong by Federal Law's standards, or anything wrong by NCAA's standards? Keep in mind, he was in control of a program already on probation for a major violation.

 

If someone has proof he caused Adidas to funnel $100,000 towards a recruit's family, he will more than likely end up facing a Federal prosecutor. I'm assuming he has more sense to allow that to be proven, but I'm sure crazier things have happened.

 

Coach 2 is undoubtedly Rick Pitino, Right?

 

DKqbBlUX0AAvUeu.jpg:large

 

So if nothing else it looks like Gatto "The money man" was in touch with Pitino's phone three times leading up to Bowen being promised money and committing. Maybe they were talking about the weather or the fall meet at Keeneland...but this is the time frame where Pitino was told about the kid and the kid's family was offered the money.

  • Replies 92
  • Views 15.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t think there’s anyway they can charge Rick of breaking a federal law, at least not with the evidence that they have as of now. The family of Brian Bowen will probably be forced to either pay all $100k back or pay taxes on them, which really wouldn’t be that big of a deal because all he’d have to do would be drop out of UofL and sign a contract to play ball oversea’s until the draft.

Rick will be fine, he's likely an informant for the FBI in all this. After reading the quote from Pitino about the surprise player that they never spent any money recruiting, but just fell out of the sky after a phone call, that pretty much sealed the deal for me. Pitino's phone was tapped and the conversation was recorded, he is coach #2 and was likely approached early on by the FBI and spilled the beans on everything he knew to avoid prosecution. :sssh:

I don't know if it's a crime but it is a tax code violation to gift an individual more than 14k in a given year and not file it at the end of the year toward your lifetime Gift tax credit.
I don't think any of those payments would be classified as a gift.
I don't think any of those payments would be classified as a gift.

 

It would if a coach delivered the money. If a corporation did it correct it wouldn't. I was replying to the example in the post I responded to.

 

But if they wired money above 10k and lied about intent of the money there are anti-money laundering laws that would come into play.

Forget about proof, I never asked about proof, I asked about what should happen and who it should happen to.

 

Do you really believe that U of L Basketball players were receiving six figure payments to attend the University of Louisville and Rick Pitino had no knowledge of it?

 

How can you ask if someone should go to prison while at the same time saying to forget about proof? Don't they go hand in hand? With a presumption of innocence, how can someone answer "Yes" to your original question without proof?

 

It's just too early on in the process with the information available.

This reminds of that SEC Football Bag Men article. Where he could be in the same room as Saban, but Saban has no clue who you are or what you do. You're basically drop money off raised by a "fan club" to the recruits home and it's not traceable.

The FBI is involved because of the Wire Transfer Fraud part. Wire transfers are highly regulated.

 

Person, who has been on Bruce Pearl's staff at Auburn since 2014, is facing six charges, including bribery conspiracy, solicitation of bribes and gratuities, conspiracy to commit honest services fraud, wire fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud and travel act conspiracy, according to court documents. If found guilty, Person could face a maximum of 80 years in prison.

This reminds of that SEC Football Bag Men article. Where he could be in the same room as Saban, but Saban has no clue who you are or what you do. You're basically drop money off raised by a "fan club" to the recruits home and it's not traceable.

 

I've never read that, but would like to. Do you have a link?

I kind of assumed that Rick and his staff would be smart enough to keep their noses clean after the hooker fiasco. Shows you what I get for assuming.

I kind of assumed that Rick and his staff would be smart enough to keep their noses clean after the hooker fiasco. Shows you what I get for assuming.

 

Lots of us saying the same thing. It's absolutely stunning and part of what hints at how widespread this must be.

Were the payments taxed and reported properly?

Taxes perhaps not be due until April 15, 2018. But may have to pay estimated tax.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.