Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should Rick Pitino go to prison?

Featured Replies

  • Replies 92
  • Views 15.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Not every kid getting a UL basketball scholarship was funneled there by a shoe company.

 

So you are saying Rick Pitino is a victim?

The only way I see around Rick Pitino not knowing it is if someone else was making the decision on which players Louisville signed to scholarships.

 

So you have proof Rick Pitino was giving players money? I bet a lot of folks would like to see that.

You're acting like a Defense Attorney.

 

Please answer this question for me, how does whoever is paying the money out decide who to pay it to?

 

The head of the shoe company wants kids on their AAU teams that are ELITE to go to schools that are of high exposure and wear their gear / shoes. When Kyle Anderson came out of New Jersey, and Adidas wanted him to to go UCLA because their brand was dipping and Adidas needed a UCLA resurgence, so they gave his family $150,000, am I 100% positive they did at UCLA's request? No, I'm not, not even close. They did for themselves, pure and simple.

I think it would be more like Federal Tax Evasion.

To the company paying the money? What taxes did they evade / fail to pay? I could see a Failure to Report violation, essentially, failing to provide a 1099, which would be valid. But I don't see what taxes the payor failed to pay / evade.

  • Author
I don't know, you've read all of my posts on this topic, did I infer he was a victim?

 

He did get fired and nothing you have posted in this thread points to Pitino doing anything wrong.

He did get fired and nothing you have posted in this thread points to Pitino doing anything wrong.

 

Anything wrong by Federal Law's standards, or anything wrong by NCAA's standards? Keep in mind, he was in control of a program already on probation for a major violation.

 

If someone has proof he caused Adidas to funnel $100,000 towards a recruit's family, he will more than likely end up facing a Federal prosecutor. I'm assuming he has more sense to allow that to be proven, but I'm sure crazier things have happened.

He did get fired and nothing you have posted in this thread points to Pitino doing anything wrong.

I could sit and speculate until I'm blue in the face about what he "probably" did, "probably" knew, or "probably" encouraged to happen -- that would be easy. However, I'm of the belief that none of those probablys can be proven. Additionally, I'm of the belief that the FBI is chasing dollars, not who urged them to be paid, but who paid them, and to whom, and who owes Uncle Sam taxes. Again, the FBI isn't trying to clean up college basketball.

  • Author
Anything wrong by Federal Law's standards, or anything wrong by NCAA's standards? Keep in mind, he was in control of a program already on probation for a major violation.

 

If someone has proof he caused Adidas to funnel $100,000 towards a recruit's family, he will more than likely end up facing a Federal prosecutor. I'm assuming he has more sense to allow that to be proven, but I'm sure crazier things have happened.

 

Forget about proof, I never asked about proof, I asked about what should happen and who it should happen to.

 

Do you really believe that U of L Basketball players were receiving six figure payments to attend the University of Louisville and Rick Pitino had no knowledge of it?

If I gave you $5,000 to eat at Subway every night for 30 days straight, and you didn't report that cash and pay taxes on it, what crime would I be in violation of? Or, if I give you $10,000 to influence you to send your son to WKU, what federal crime did I commit?

 

I don't know if it's a crime but it is a tax code violation to gift an individual more than 14k in a given year and not file it at the end of the year toward your lifetime Gift tax credit.

So you're saying Rick Pitino knew the players were receiving money?

 

There is no doubt in my mind he knew. He had all contacts at Addias. I listened to @gametime podcast earlier and none of his staff had relationships with Addias like he did.

 

At the same time that isn't a crime unless he took kick backs which I doubt he did.

Do you really believe that U of L Basketball players were receiving six figure payments to attend the University of Louisville and Rick Pitino had no knowledge of it?

 

Sure, I think that is possible. Now someone certainly knew, and that someone knew darned good and well NOT to tell Coach P. He offers 12 kids for a 3 man class, 6 of them are from Adidas AAU programs, and all 3 of his kids that commit are out of that group of 6. You think he calls Mom and asks if Adidas did anything to influence their decision, no. He doesn't want to know. I also know for sure the Adidas rep for UL isn't going to tell Rick at their coaches' dinner that he took care of their parents so they didn't go to that darned NIKE school in Lexington.

 

Yes, I think it is quite possible that UL recruits got cash from Adidas without Rick knowing.

Sure, I think that is possible. Now someone certainly knew, and that someone knew darned good and well NOT to tell Coach P. He offers 12 kids for a 3 man class, 6 of them are from Adidas AAU programs, and all 3 of his kids that commit are out of that group of 6. You think he calls Mom and asks if Adidas did anything to influence their decision, no. He doesn't want to know. I also know for sure the Adidas rep for UL isn't going to tell Rick at their coaches' dinner that he took care of their parents so they didn't go to that darned NIKE school in Lexington.

 

Yes, I think it is quite possible that UL recruits got cash from Adidas without Rick knowing.

Bingo.

  • Author
Sure, I think that is possible. Now someone certainly knew, and that someone knew darned good and well NOT to tell Coach P. He offers 12 kids for a 3 man class, 6 of them are from Adidas AAU programs, and all 3 of his kids that commit are out of that group of 6. You think he calls Mom and asks if Adidas did anything to influence their decision, no. He doesn't want to know. I also know for sure the Adidas rep for UL isn't going to tell Rick at their coaches' dinner that he took care of their parents so they didn't go to that darned NIKE school in Lexington.

 

Yes, I think it is quite possible that UL recruits got cash from Adidas without Rick knowing.

 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.