March 21, 20179 yr Didn't realize Kansas had passed UNC. Also, Indiana is still a top job. At minimum a top 10 job.
March 21, 20179 yr To me, the top 7 programs, without question, are (in no order) are Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Indiana, and Louisville. Those programs are blue bloods.
March 21, 20179 yr It's tough for anyone that's a crazy fanatic, not just a normal level headed fan, to see another program at their level. But there's more that goes in to it than just wins and losses. If the 5 National Championships don't factor then look at support across the country. Alumni support. Financial support. University support. If you can realistically see and know all of that, you have no basis for an argument of saying they're not a "blue blood" or top job. I'm with you on this one Bench. IU has won Titles in the 40's, 50's, 70's and 80's. Final Four in the 90's. I think Blue Bloods have to have had success over 3 or more decades. I define success by wins, Final Fours and Titles. IU meets that criteria. :thumb:
March 21, 20179 yr I'm with you on this one Bench. IU has won Titles in the 40's, 50's, 70's and 80's. Final Four in the 90's. I think Blue Bloods have to have had success over 3 or more decades. I define success by wins, Final Fours and Titles. IU meets that criteria. :thumb: Championship game in the 2000s as well
March 21, 20179 yr For example: UConn has 3 titles. All from 1999 to 2014. Not enough done before then to call them a blue blood. Florida has back to back titles and Final Fours in '94, '00 and '14 but that doesn't make them Blue Blood. Duke had Final Four teams in the 60's, 70's and 80's before finally knocking the door down in '91. That's why they are Blue Blood to me.
March 21, 20179 yr Championship game in the 2000s as well How soon I forget. Good catch. But then again, you are Bench. :lol2:
March 21, 20179 yr To me, the top 7 programs, without question, are (in no order) are Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Indiana, and Louisville. Those programs are blue bloods. Completely agree. All of those programs have earned the right throughout history to be considered blue bloods. Anyone could try to place them in order but it's a moot point and not worth arguing over though. I get why some of the younger generation and posters don't recognize IU in that category but they certainly do belong and it's also one of the top jobs in the country.
March 21, 20179 yr For example: UConn has 3 titles. All from 1999 to 2014. Not enough done before then to call them a blue blood. Florida has back to back titles and Final Fours in '94, '00 and '14 but that doesn't make them Blue Blood. Duke had Final Four teams in the 60's, 70's and 80's before finally knocking the door down in '91. That's why they are Blue Blood to me. Not that it changes your argument but UConn actually has 4 titles. They might not be a blue blood but I think you can make a strong argument that they are the best program over the last 20 years.
March 21, 20179 yr Not that it changes your argument but UConn actually has 4 titles. They might not be a blue blood but I think you can make a strong argument that they are the best program over the last 20 years. Very true. I'm slipping today. Gave them one less title.
March 21, 20179 yr Brad Stevens is very happy with the Celtics, he isn't a guy that has any draw to Indiana besides having coached an hour from there. To many, the recruiting is a drag, but I don't think that is a factor here. The Celtics is a MUCH better job than IU, period. Now, if you want an NBA guy who "could" make himself available, look to oil fields of the Midwest. Durant is gone, coaching Russ has to be exhausting (Talent notwithstanding), and it worked well for his mentor.[/QUOTe] That's the ticket.
March 22, 20179 yr I think Billy would leave for (2) jobs Kentucky or Louisville, that doesn't mean I would not try if I am Indiana
March 22, 20179 yr I think Billy would leave for (2) jobs Kentucky or Louisville, that doesn't mean I would not try if I am Indiana He refused to leave Florida twice for Kentucky....Why would he leave the NBA for them now?
March 22, 20179 yr He refused to leave Florida twice for Kentucky....Why would he leave the NBA for them now? He lost Durant. I don't think he leaves for a college job but the situation is not the same as it was when he arrived.
March 22, 20179 yr He refused to leave Florida twice for Kentucky....Why would he leave the NBA for them now?I just never understand peoples thinking on this stuff.
March 22, 20179 yr He refused to leave Florida twice for Kentucky....Why would he leave the NBA for them now? He lost Durant. I don't think he leaves for a college job but the situation is not the same as it was when he arrived. It is speculation, but at heart is Donovan a college coach or NBA coach? OKC is not going to win long term with Westbrook running the show so I would say most coaches know that situation is not going to end on a positive note. He would also make comparable money.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.