March 22, 20179 yr It is speculation, but at heart is Donovan a college coach or NBA coach? OKC is not going to win long term with Westbrook running the show so I would say most coaches know that situation is not going to end on a positive note. He would also make comparable money. Fine, we can remove the NBA from the discussion. Let's say he wanted back in the college game. Why does anyone logically think he'd consider Kentucky? He had the opportunity twice and decided he'd rather coach at Florida than Kentucky. So now, he's going to decide he wants the job when it's time to follow Calipari? Zero logic in that.
March 22, 20179 yr I just never understand peoples thinking on this stuff. Probably because you have two examples in the bluegrass with former NBA coaches that were successful college coaches? Why people think it is outlandish that people may think Donovan could ponder a future college coaching job seems dismissive.
March 22, 20179 yr Probably because you have two examples in the bluegrass with former NBA coaches that were successful college coaches? Why people think it is outlandish that people may think Donovan could ponder a future college coaching job seems dismissive. No one is dismissing that he may come back to college at some point. It just makes no sense to think he'd all of a sudden want the Kentucky job. Kentucky fans need to face reality. Billy Donovan does not want to be your coach. Period.
March 22, 20179 yr Fine, we can remove the NBA from the discussion. Let's say he wanted back in the college game. Why does anyone logically think he'd consider Kentucky? He had the opportunity twice and decided he'd rather coach at Florida than Kentucky. So now, he's going to decide he wants the job when it's time to follow Calipari? Zero logic in that.Because you and I don't think it will happen, it doesn't mean if defies logic. Not taking the UK job does not mean he never considered it. Donovan also accepted the Orlando Magic coaching job, then took it back. The narrative at the time was because he "is a college coach and will never leave for the NBA." Then a different opportunity arose and he peaced-out. A decade is a long time and people are at different stages of their lives. You don't know where is head is.
March 22, 20179 yr Probably because you have two examples in the bluegrass with former NBA coaches that were successful college coaches? Why people think it is outlandish that people may think Donovan could ponder a future college coaching job seems dismissive.UNSUCCESSFUL NBA coaches who were college coaches first. Donovan is making the playoffs, and had deep runs. HUGE difference.
March 22, 20179 yr Because you and I don't think it will happen, it doesn't mean if defies logic. Not taking the UK job does not mean he never considered it. Donovan also accepted the Orlando Magic coaching job, then took it back. The narrative at the time was because he "is a college coach and will never leave for the NBA." Then a different opportunity arose and he peaced-out. A decade is a long time and people are at different stages of their lives. You don't know where is head is.You have to remember, this is the board that it was widely believed and made up that Donovan had a "Kentucky clause" in his Florida contract. I was ridiculed by some "in the know" UK guys who still frequent this board for telling them that wasn't true. It wasn't true
March 22, 20179 yr UNSUCCESSFUL NBA coaches who were college coaches first. Donovan is making the playoffs, and had deep runs. HUGE difference. Pitino was a successful NBA coach that left the Knicks for UK. He left because he knew the long term situation was not going to end well. Unless OKC changes directions, they are nothing more than a side-show and going nowhere. The NBA is a player's league and nobody is knocking on the door to come and play with Westbrook. He has only coached one season in the NBA, so I can't say "deep runs" (plural) in the playoffs I do not think he will go. But I do not find the notion as outlandish as many make it seem.
March 22, 20179 yr You have to remember, this is the board that it was widely believed and made up that Donovan had a "Kentucky clause" in his Florida contract. I was ridiculed by some "in the know" UK guys who still frequent this board for telling them that wasn't true. It wasn't true I don't know what any of that means, but ok.
March 22, 20179 yr Pitino was a successful NBA coach that left the Knicks for UK. {QUOTE] 192 - 220 - 1 winning season. The long term situation in New York had them winning their division 3 out of the next 4 years, so?
March 22, 20179 yr If Donovan comes back to college it would be one of the big boy jobs, Ky, Louisville are big boy jobs, where Coach Pitino has been, and won national titles, if he comes back to college, whenever that may be I think it is one of these jobs.
March 22, 20179 yr Pitino was a successful NBA coach that left the Knicks for UK. {QUOTE] 192 - 220 - 1 winning season. The long term situation in New York had them winning their division 3 out of the next 4 years, so? Actually his second season they won the Division if memory serves. Pitino wanted out because of friction with the boss. I too think he knew his days were numbered there and if you are going back to college, KY made him an offer he couldn't refuse. :thumb:
March 23, 20179 yr @Bench, is Mike Woodson a legit candidate for the job? Dakich is claiming that Woodson, Fife, and Alford are the only three guys in it.
March 23, 20179 yr @Bench, is Mike Woodson a legit candidate for the job? Dakich is claiming that Woodson, Fife, and Alford are the only three guys in it. Tony Bennett is, or at least has been, deeply involved in the process. Mack's agent has heard from IU. I reference Fife in post #80, and I know he is working his tail off, but I still think he is the safety net candidate. I haven't heard Woodson from anyone legitimately in the circle, BUT, Dakich certainly has great connections to the program still.
March 23, 20179 yr After hearing Billy Donavon and with Westbrook leaving soon(after this season possibly), I think he announces he's taking the Indiana job after the tournament is over or after the Thunder exit the playoffs
March 23, 20179 yr After hearing Billy Donavon and with Westbrook leaving soon(after this season possibly), I think he announces he's taking the Indiana job after the tournament is over or after the Thunder exit the playoffs So IU is going to wait until mid-June to hire a coach?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.