Indiana's Next Coach

Jumper_Dad

Tony Bennett is, or at least has been, deeply involved in the process. Mack's agent has heard from IU. I reference Fife in post #80, and I know he is working his tail off, but I still think he is the safety net candidate. I haven't heard Woodson from anyone legitimately in the circle, BUT, Dakich certainly has great connections to the program still.

Regarding Tony Bennett....3 Virginia players have announced transfers in the last 24 hours. Wonder if they know something?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He refused to leave Florida twice for Kentucky....Why would he leave the NBA for them now?

I get what you are saying. However he basically built Florida. 2 titles and another finals appearance and also another final four. At the time there was no reason to leave Florida and burn ties there to go to an in conference rival, when he was already winning titles at Florida.

Now say he wanted to get back to coaching college. It does make it a smoother transition without burning as many ties going from the NBA to UK than from Florida to UK. Plus as we seen UK money wise UK would equal or pay more than what he currently makes in the NBA and what other college teams could pay him. He makes 6 million a year, Cal is making 8 million a year now.

It just would depend on his desire to come back to college or if he truly likes the NBA gig more. If he wanted to come back to college and UK was interested again. Then yes there is a better chance this time around imo.

I'm not going to go back through all these posts, but I'm hoping the new coach with be available after Friday night.

He would likely recruit the state well but I'm still not sold on him being a really good coach. Recruiting is a big part of coaching these days though, so I couldn't say that it would be a bad hire.

Not saying he will go to IU by any means but I always thought of Donovan as a college coach rather than pro. I think he will come back to the college game at some point if he decides to continue coaching after his pro stint is over.

If an NBA coach is on the verge of being fired or is fired they may take over a top college job. But it's crazy to think that Donovan or Stevens either are waiting on a college opening to make their return to college athletics. I don't care what job it is, IU, UK, Duke, Kansas etc. Ain't happening.

No, they don't know anything. However, I can tell you that what is happening at Virginia this week isn't lost on the IU Board of Trustees.

Someone here told me that he doesn't believe Bennett will go to IU. His sister was a women's coach and was canned by the Hoosiers. He's close to that sister and my source says he would be surprised to see Tony go there.

No, they don't know anything. However, I can tell you that what is happening at Virginia this week isn't lost on the IU Board of Trustees.

I would also add that the three transfers were not unexpected. One can't really compete in the ACC and the other two never gelled with the Bennett style.

Someone here told me that he doesn't believe Bennett will go to IU. His sister was a women's coach and was canned by the Hoosiers. He's close to that sister and my source says he would be surprised to see Tony go there.

I can tell you that, as of right now, Tony is trying very hard to get that job. However, there are some concerns on the Board of Trustees that are hanging him up.

All signs right now pointing to, sadly, Chris.