Indiana's Next Coach

Jumper_Dad

Not sure why I'm bothering, but they have 1,801 wins, not 1,778. They also have a winning % of .639, not .604.

Edit: Wait a minute, I didn't think we were allowed to use history???

Since history is allowed back into the argument...IU has more titles than any program in the game's history outside of UCLA and Kentucky and on par with UNC and Duke.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Duke -1, Kentucky -2, Kansas -3, Carolina -4, 5? I'd say Indiana."[/font][/color]

My only problem with Duke at 1 is how will the administration/school handle basketball after Coach K? Will they continue to support it? As a private school, I could see the right president tightening academic requirements, etc. which might make signing top recruits more difficult. (This would be a stupid tactic, but university presidents have occasionally done stupid things. I take a wait-and-see approach with Duke right now).

It's tough for anyone that's a crazy fanatic, not just a normal level headed fan, to see another program at their level. But there's more that goes in to it than just wins and losses. If the 5 National Championships don't factor then look at support across the country. Alumni support. Financial support. University support. If you can realistically see and know all of that, you have no basis for an argument of saying they're not a "blue blood" or top job.

Indiana produces several big time players, I would love to see how many McDonald's all-americans they usually produce. The right guy in Indiana they will be relevant again, trust me, and I don't like Indiana :)

This. I think Indiana has struggled to keep the best kids in state over the years. Too many good players have found their way to Ohio State, Michigan, Kentucky, Louisville, etc. (all teams that have won or played in national championship games in the last decade). Whoever comes to Indiana has to recruit the state better. If they can do that, then there is no reason why they can't win the Big Ten and if you're winning the Big Ten you should be in position to win a national championship (or at least make Final Fours).

My only problem with Duke at 1 is how will the administration/school handle basketball after Coach K? Will they continue to support it? As a private school, I could see the right president tightening academic requirements, etc. which might make signing top recruits more difficult. (This would be a stupid tactic, but university presidents have occasionally done stupid things. I take a wait-and-see approach with Duke right now).
To be fair, he said, take any of the Top 4, mix em up. Didn't matter. If youre arguing 1-4 does it really matter? You're super elite. It's like the fools who argue whether Jordan is better than Lebron or vice versa. Is being a Top 1-4 player all time not good enough? Just enjoy them and be quiet.

To be fair, he said, take any of the Top 4, mix em up. Didn't matter. If youre arguing 1-4 does it really matter? You're super elite. It's like the fools who argue whether Jordan is better than Lebron or vice versa. Is being a Top 1-4 player all time not good enough? Just enjoy them and be quiet.

Point taken. I wasn't aware they weren't in a particular order. My point still stands on Duke being different because they are a private school and decisions that could always affect the future.

This. I think Indiana has struggled to keep the best kids in state over the years. Too many good players have found their way to Ohio State, Michigan, Kentucky, Louisville, etc. (all teams that have won or played in national championship games in the last decade). Whoever comes to Indiana has to recruit the state better. If they can do that, then there is no reason why they can't win the Big Ten and if you're winning the Big Ten you should be in position to win a national championship (or at least make Final Fours).
I can think of another program, not listed, that has poached some fantastic talent out of Indiana in the last few years. I'll hang up and listen...

I can think of another program, not listed, that has poached some fantastic talent out of Indiana in the last few years. I'll hang up and listen...

Lots of schools have. I only mentioned a few. Indiana has also likely lost kids to Notre Dame, Purdue, and Butler (in state) in recent years. The next coach has to keep that from happening.

Looking at history, IU is certainly a blue blood. Definitely in the discussion of top 5. Especially amongst those of us over 40. :)

However, it has been a long time since they were relevant year in and year out. More importantly, the vast majority of 18-year-olds are clueless of that history, which significantly knocks them out of discussion of top 5.

Based on longevity and recent success, as well as community support/budget, conference affiliation, how is UofL NOT considered a top 5 program?? I put them right up there with UK/Duke/UNC/KU. (And I'm a UK fan)