Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region: Is this true?

Featured Replies

  • Replies 310
  • Views 43.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Call me cheap but I took my son to the first round of the girls Monday and cost me $21 just to get in the door which includes parking. $8 for a 10 year old is ridiculous. 1 large drink and regular popcorn another $9.We won't be going to anymore unless it's our schools team. Those prices will keep me away from other games in the tournament. I'm all for bringing it back to the high school gym where it belongs in my IMO.

 

I'm cheap too, that's why I look for alternatives to paying full price.

 

To avoid buying food at arena, be adequately fed previous to attending.

 

1. $6 presale ticket available at participating schools.

 

2. Limited free parking in lot on other side of soccer field, or on nearby street, walk up the provided path (5 minute walk) to backside of arena, enter there with presale ticket. 5 minute walk back to your car after event, and no waiting in traffic leaving parking lot like those who paid to park.

 

3. Sneak bottle of water in my jacket that I filled at home, refill at fountain.

 

4. Sneak in a couple of packs of M&M peanuts to hold you over... $2 (Or hideable inexpensive snack of your choice).

 

5. Make no concession purchases - no exceptions.

 

Total $8

 

I've even gone as far as stuffing a smashed bag into my front pouch pocket of my hoodie with two beef n' cheddar from Arby's when they were 2 for $5, and casually enjoying them once I was seated. They keep pretty well and are still ok to eat lukewarm. If it's cold enough for an additional light jacket overtop of hoodie, all the better as no one will notice, and so what if sandwiches are smashed to death, they still eat and taste the same.

I'm cheap too, that's why I look for alternatives to paying full price.

 

To avoid buying food at arena, be adequately fed previous to attending.

 

1. $6 presale ticket available at participating schools.

 

2. Limited free parking in lot on other side of soccer field, or on nearby street, walk up the provided path (5 minute walk) to backside of arena, enter there with presale ticket. 5 minute walk back to your car after event, and no waiting in traffic leaving parking lot like those who paid to park.

 

3. Sneak bottle of water in my jacket that I filled at home, refill at fountain.

 

4. Sneak in a couple of packs of M&M peanuts to hold you over... $2 (Or hideable inexpensive snack of your choice).

 

5. Make no concession purchases - no exceptions.

 

Total $8

 

I've even gone as far as stuffing a smashed bag into my front pouch pocket of my hoodie with two beef n' cheddar from Arby's when they were 2 for $5, and casually enjoying them once I was seated. They keep pretty well and are still ok to eat lukewarm. If it's cold enough for an additional light jacket overtop of hoodie, all the better as no one will notice, and so what if sandwiches are smashed to death, they still eat and taste the same.

 

Man now we will have to search you........Just a joke.......In all seriousness these are good tips. And again I understand the price frustration. What I want to stress is things that happened 7 years ago or 5 years ago does not mean it is the same now. I know a few posters (especially those at the disaster that ways hosting two regional tournaments at the same time) need to realize that the arena staff has improved tremendously and works very hard with Stan Steidel to make it a wonderful experience.

I'm cheap too, that's why I look for alternatives to paying full price.

 

To avoid buying food at arena, be adequately fed previous to attending.

 

1. $6 presale ticket available at participating schools.

 

2. Limited free parking in lot on other side of soccer field, or on nearby street, walk up the provided path (5 minute walk) to backside of arena, enter there with presale ticket. 5 minute walk back to your car after event, and no waiting in traffic leaving parking lot like those who paid to park.

 

3. Sneak bottle of water in my jacket that I filled at home, refill at fountain.

 

4. Sneak in a couple of packs of M&M peanuts to hold you over... $2 (Or hideable inexpensive snack of your choice).

 

5. Make no concession purchases - no exceptions.

 

Total $8

 

I've even gone as far as stuffing a smashed bag into my front pouch pocket of my hoodie with two beef n' cheddar from Arby's when they were 2 for $5, and casually enjoying them once I was seated. They keep pretty well and are still ok to eat lukewarm. If it's cold enough for an additional light jacket overtop of hoodie, all the better as no one will notice, tand so what if sandwiches are smashed to death, they still eat and taste the same.

 

Just pretend to be a photographer, that is what I do.

2008 was the last year the 9th region was held at a high school.

The Boys were at Conner and girls were at Ryle. The amount shared by participating teams was: Boys $30,000 and Girls $10,000.

2014 is the last listing on the KHSAA site and it has a combined boys and girls of $72,000 to participating schools.

Man now we will have to search you........Just a joke.......In all seriousness these are good tips. And again I understand the price frustration. What I want to stress is things that happened 7 years ago or 5 years ago does not mean it is the same now. I know a few posters (especially those at the disaster that ways hosting two regional tournaments at the same time) need to realize that the arena staff has improved tremendously and works very hard with Stan Steidel to make it a wonderful experience.

 

We get it, you work there. Don't take it personally, but the hard work of those that work there still does not cancel the fact that the arena is expensive, parking is atrocious, and the environment is dead. It is an awful place to play or watch high school basketball. And knowing what the NKU folks think about the place mars my opinion even more. I will never watch a game there again. It's a shame these games can't be at the high schools.

I guess the 9th Region leaders better hope and pray two schools with bad followings do not make the championship game for the boys one day. That would be bad to see 900 fans in a 10,000 seat arena for a championship game. It sounds like that is already the case for the girls. Very sad that money rules the minds and souls of those running the 9th Region.

 

That is the number that comes to watch the College games played there.

Would have personally loved to have been able to play our regional games my senior year (2004) and especially our regional championship at BB&T Arena.

 

Would have made for a very special memory and been much more exciting than playing at Holmes, even though we lost.

No NKU game has ever turned a profit. So they rely on this tournament to at least make some money.

 

Inaccurate and hyperbole.

2008 was the last year the 9th region was held at a high school.

The Boys were at Conner and girls were at Ryle. The amount shared by participating teams was: Boys $30,000 and Girls $10,000.

2014 is the last listing on the KHSAA site and it has a combined boys and girls of $72,000 to participating schools.

 

Which is why it will never leave NKU unless NKU doesn't want it.

  • Author
Man now we will have to search you........Just a joke.......In all seriousness these are good tips. And again I understand the price frustration. What I want to stress is things that happened 7 years ago or 5 years ago does not mean it is the same now. I know a few posters (especially those at the disaster that ways hosting two regional tournaments at the same time) need to realize that the arena staff has improved tremendously and works very hard with Stan Steidel to make it a wonderful experience.

 

If those prices quoted by an earlier poster are accurate for concessions and parking, I can't blame the fans who stay away from the 9th Region. It sounds like greed has replaced the reason for having high school sports, the kids. If you work at said arena, your posts are slanted and biased toward having to work there, so I can't blame you for defending it. But it sounds like a Mickey Mouse operation thanks to the combined efforts of the 9th Region leaders and the arena's dumb rules. Just an 8th Region guy's opinion.

  • Author
Call me cheap but I took my son to the first round of the girls Monday and cost me $21 just to get in the door which includes parking. $8 for a 10 year old is ridiculous. 1 large drink and regular popcorn another $9.We won't be going to anymore unless it's our schools team. Those prices will keep me away from other games in the tournament. I'm all for bringing it back to the high school gym where it belongs in my IMO.

 

Brutal all the way around. Hard to blame you for not going back to pay those kinds of prices for a high school regional tournament. I would say some principals and athletics directors in the 9th Region are getting some extra dollar bills in their wallets for allowing such an operation.

The atmosphere at the big arena is apathetic. Once the novelty of playing in the big arena is discounted, you get nothing imo. It's just a big empty cave. Take it back to Holmes and Conner where it belongs. I can't afford $7 cokes and $9 hot dogs or whatever it is. It's definitely big league prices. I shouldn't have to fork out $80-$90 for a family of 4 to go to a high school game and get a ticket, drink and a snack. $8 tickets??? Wow

Boo hoo. If you don't like the prices or the atmosphere, stay home.

  • Author
Boo hoo. If you don't like the prices or the atmosphere, stay home.

 

I never did care for Charlie's Angels. It sounds like they are taking your advice regarding staying home. Don't blame them a bit.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.