9th Region: Is this true?

The atmosphere at the big arena is apathetic. Once the novelty of playing in the big arena is discounted, you get nothing imo. It's just a big empty cave. Take it back to Holmes and Conner where it belongs. I can't afford $7 cokes and $9 hot dogs or whatever it is. It's definitely big league prices. I shouldn't have to fork out $80-$90 for a family of 4 to go to a high school game and get a ticket, drink and a snack. $8 tickets??? Wow

Tickets for Louisville Regions (6th/7th) are $8.00 but you don't have parking fees. Concessions are not that bad. The only bad thing about it all is location, location, location.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The atmosphere at the big arena is apathetic. Once the novelty of playing in the big arena is discounted, you get nothing imo. It's just a big empty cave. Take it back to Holmes and Conner where it belongs. I can't afford $7 cokes and $9 hot dogs or whatever it is. It's definitely big league prices. I shouldn't have to fork out $80-$90 for a family of 4 to go to a high school game and get a ticket, drink and a snack. $8 tickets??? Wow

$9.00 hot dogs?!?! You are not serious I hope.

Man now we will have to search you........Just a joke.......In all seriousness these are good tips. And again I understand the price frustration. What I want to stress is things that happened 7 years ago or 5 years ago does not mean it is the same now. I know a few posters (especially those at the disaster that ways hosting two regional tournaments at the same time) need to realize that the arena staff has improved tremendously and works very hard with Stan Steidel to make it a wonderful experience.

Uh-Oh... I had a hunch that I ought not give all of my secrets away. :sssh:

Please have mercy on me or else I'll have to take out a loan at the BB&T Bank to be able to attend all 4 sessions.

No fillers.

Sounds like someone is getting rich up there by gouging people's wallets. I would hope the 9th Region fans refuse to buy the concessions at that arena, will send a message. I would hope most people with an ounce of common sense would pass on those concession prices even if it were Bruce Springsteen in concert! But for a high school basketball game, they are robbing people. No wonder so many on these forums are advocating taking it back to Holmes and Conner. They should consider getting together and boycotting this arena as well if they are robbing good people's wallets like this. Wow. I'm heading up to Henry County and the 8th Region where you don't have to worry about paying $100.00 to take a family to a regional tournament.

Uh-Oh... I had a hunch that I ought not give all of my secrets away. :sssh:

Please have mercy on me or else I'll have to take out a loan at the BB&T Bank to be able to attend all 4 sessions.

It will cost more to attend the 9th Region Tournament than it does to put a kid through college! My kid's meals at UK cost less than the concessions at the 9th Region!

It will cost more to attend the 9th Region Tournament than it does to put a kid through college! My kid's meals at UK cost less than the concessions at the 9th Region!

I really do like having it there, and I really do think that it prepares teams better for the Sweet 16, and as long as I follow my own froogle guidelines, I can keep it reasonable where it's not much different in price than having it at a high school.

Of course the average person is not going to go the lengths that I do, and they'll end up paying too much in the long run. I must admit, it does take some discipline to ignore the tempting food smells, but just like the grocery store, don't go there on an empty stomach.

I don't mind the little bit of walking either to avoid parking fees as I can use all the exercise that I can get, plus I like knowing that while those who did pay are single filing out of the parking lot, I'm already half way home.

Knowing that I have alternatives around forking over too much to attend, I have only myself to kick if I fall to temptation and make a concession stand purchase. I just remind myself that once I leave for home I can look forward to a meal when I get there, or even treat myself to some reasonably priced carry out to take home.

Movie ticket $10.50. Or go to early show and pay $6. Or second run $3 movie and go on Tuesday and its $1.75

Circus Ticket $30. Or find a groupon deal or go Thursday night for $15.

Reds Box seat $35. Or View Level for $14. Or $5 walk-up way out in right field at the top.

Pavilion seat at Riverbend $80. Lawn seat $20.

Life is full of choices. Either go and pay full price of $8 and concession or go the B-Ball fan route and go as cheap as possible.

Maybe the B B & T folks should find another use for their arena....:lol2:

Seriously...I've never been to the arena - I'm sure it's very nice and I'm also sure the folks there are trying their best. But I have to tell you, holding the region in a HS gym is by far and away the best experience possible. I love playing the 8th in the big old Henry County gym. The atmosphere is priceless.

Maybe the B B & T folks should find another use for their arena....:lol2:

Seriously...I've never been to the arena - I'm sure it's very nice and I'm also sure the folks there are trying their best. But I have to tell you, holding the region in a HS gym is by far and away the best experience possible. I love playing the 8th in the big old Henry County gym. The atmosphere is priceless.

LIKE LIKE LIKE.

So right, ColonelMike. If you really enjoy the electric atmosphere of high school basketball, a frenzied crowd, inexpensive concessions, etc., head down to Henry County for the 8th Region. I've never been to the arena up in N.Ky. either but it sounds like from many of the posters here it's not a place everyone is sold on for the 9th Region. Thank goodness we don't have that kind of issue in the 8th Region. Henry County does a spectacular job hosting our event in the 8th Region! The players and fans love it, and we still have lots of games before our champion is decided next week.

We get it, the 8th region is far superior to the 9th region :rolleyes:

As others have said, if you don't like it, stay home. Plan ahead, eat before you go and don't buy concessions.

Personally, the prices are not an issue for me. And it's not because I'm rich, I'm not. It's because I look at the fact that I am guaranteed to get in, the seats are far more comfortable than a HS gym, more information is available through the course of the game (full scoreboard), and you can fit larger crowds into the arena. How many HS gyms could've held the crowd that was there for the 2011 4OT regional final between Dixie and NCC? The answer is 0. Why should there be a limit of 2,000 or so fans that can attend a game because it's held at a HS? There shouldn't be.

Yes the arena doesn't fill up for every game but there should atleast be the ability for up to 10,000 people to attend if they want. Some of you complain "there are only 500 or 1,000 fans there for such and such game" but guess what, even at Holmes that's not an exciting crowd.

I talk to quite a few players that have played regional games at NKU and guess what, they are fans of playing there.

It's not changing, let's move on.

Call me cheap but I took my son to the first round of the girls Monday and cost me $21 just to get in the door which includes parking. $8 for a 10 year old is ridiculous. 1 large drink and regular popcorn another $9.We won't be going to anymore unless it's our schools team. Those prices will keep me away from other games in the tournament. I'm all for bringing it back to the high school gym where it belongs in my IMO.

Complaining about paying 21 dollars for food and a basketball game? Wow!