Everything posted by OldhamOldie
-
9th Region: Is this true?
Looks like you got the entire crowd at the arena in the background of the pic! lol
-
9th Region: Is this true?
Coach Shields always showed up at the Ft. Thomas Armory in those days and was great to talk with about basketball. He coached great players at St. Thomas like Phil Hasson, Carl Hafele, and a guy named Wehage (spelling?) who could jump better than anyone in the 9th Region at that time. I think St. Thomas closed down around 1975 or 1976.
-
Central Hardin 72 Caverna 71 (5th Region)
I hate to hear it for Faulkner. One of the best scorers I ever saw in this state, love his game. It would have been great to see Caverna get one step closer to a regional title.
-
9th Region: Is this true?
WOW! Does Newport have turf nowadays? It had grass back when I played in the early 1970s! That looks awesome if their field is similar!
-
Central Hardin 72 Caverna 71 (5th Region)
Was the score right on the scoreboard and not in the book?
-
Central Hardin 72 Caverna 71 (5th Region)
That's a tough one. Faulkner is a really good shooter. Sounds like he was great once again. Free throws are becoming a lost art, though. Kids just don't understand how important the freebies are late in games. I hate to hear he missed two late. But he is just an outstanding player and will be fun to watch in college.
-
9th Region: Is this true?
That is great. Ken Shields knew basketball, and he was great with people. He was ahead of his time with fast-paced offenses and half-court traps as a high school coach. St. Thomas was a team you did not want to play back in the day with Coach Shields leading them. I'm glad to hear he is still involved teaching the game!
-
9th Region: Is this true?
I always loved that football field at Newport. It was next to a baseball complex, down in a valley. They still play there?
-
9th Region: Is this true?
Yes he is. I thought he would become the all time winning high school coach at Highlands, but he left for a college job. Does he still coach anything up there?
-
9th Region: Is this true?
I'm glad to hear it. I follow their scores and hated to see what happened up there this season in football and basketball. Glad to see their girls upset NewCath though!
-
9th Region: Is this true?
On a serious note, I thought St. Thomas back in my day would eventually win a state title one day because they had the best high school coach I ever spoke with, Ken Shields. He had St. Thomas on a roll, great players, despite being such a small school. Then they closed down, and Coach Shields ended up at Highlands. Great guy and great coach!
-
9th Region: Is this true?
Maybe when the BGP Elite clique meets at BGP Headquarters later this month, you can update them about Newport's 2016-17 roster as well. How they gonna be in football?
-
9th Region: Is this true?
MMI closed down years ago due to small enrollment. Flaget is a Louisville school that also is gone. Like old St. Thomas High School up your way. Ever hear of St. Thomas, or you too young?
-
9th Region: Is this true?
You have Simon Kenton, CovCath and Holmes. We'll let you keep SK's, even though they are an 8th Region team now and can't win a region anymore down here! lol
-
9th Region: Is this true?
Let me put it this way: The 8th Region has more state titles than the 9th Region. Live with it. Shelby County has two, Millersburg Military Academy has one, Flaget has one. I am assuming you can count, but just in case, that's four. How many does the 9th Region have? Hmmm.
-
9th Region: Is this true?
Do you want to guess which region has more state titles? Don't sign off, just count. lol
-
9th Region: Is this true?
I'm sure they would listen. But from reading these posts from the Elite clique, you 9th Regionists seem to like that comfy leg room and a quiet arena. You won't get that down here. It's packed, and it's LOUD!
-
9th Region: Is this true?
More proof that the Elite clique is indeed on here to make fun of us Steerage. Where is BGP Headquarters? Is it in the 9th Region arena up there? Sounds like there is plenty of empty space in the seats! lol
-
9th Region: Is this true?
I never would have guessed. Now Mullins, Covington, and Hollis, that's a different story. lol
-
Oldham County 90 Henry County 45 (8th Region)
Two interesting semifinals in the 8th Region with South Oldham taking on Collins, Oldham County meeting Anderson County. I never count out Collins, not after that run last year. They were very impressive the way they kept their composure against Simon Kenton after getting behind last night. It's hard to dethrone the champion, and that's Collins. I root for both South Oldham and Oldham County, so I naturally want to see those two play in the championship and force me to put on my blue and green sports jacket again! Anderson County was solid tonight in their victory and has the players to get it done.
-
9th Region: Is this true?
That's what I heard, almost exact words? I wonder if you're my N.Ky. buddy who told me? lol.
-
Oldham County 90 Henry County 45 (8th Region)
Oldham County's 90 points is a season high for the Colonels. I also think you have to go back a few years to find the last time they won by 45 points in a region game. Very impressive effort tonight on the home team's floor. Henry County has some good younger players and will be heard from next year in the 8th Region. Oldham County on a bit of a roll right now and had too much tonight.
-
What ever happened to our Like posts?
Any way to get a dislike post for some of the Elite clique that us Steerage can use?
-
Oldham County 90 Henry County 45 (8th Region)
Oldham County jumped out to a 23-8 lead after the first quarter and ballooned that margin to 42-21 at the half. The Colonels defense limited Henry County to less than 30% shooting from the field and cruised to the semifinals.
-
Oldham County 90 Henry County 45 (8th Region)
Oldham County rolls as expected. Brandon Johnson led the Colonels with 14 points, Bates had 11, Strunk 11, McLarty 10, Jones 10, Wirth 10. Oldham to meet Anderson County in the semifinals, should be a dandy!