Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region: Is this true?

Featured Replies

Brutal for those who attend church services on Sunday that let out at noon. No Saturday night games?

 

Challenge is you have NKU, concerts, 9th boys, and 9th girls to all fit in. Boys are scheduled for Wednesday and Friday. My guess is they wouldn't then want to turn around and Saturday boys games due to Friday winners not having a day off like the Wednesday winners will.

 

Again, it's what the region puts up with for the nice payday. I looked at the 10th region as a comparison to 2014 payouts. Max payout was $5100. Max payout in the 9th that year was $9600.

 

$4k pays for a lot of things at a school.

  • Replies 310
  • Views 43.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm thinking of the kids and coaches, not the fans. Those girls tonight who played in front of 500 people in a 10,000 seat place probably could care less about people who stood in line. I was just thinking about them as much as anything.

 

Would you want to play in a high school gym that you have played in 4 or 5 times or on a Division 1 floor in a Division 1 arena with a state of the art sound system, scoreboards, video board?

  • Author
Would you want to play in a high school gym that you have played in 4 or 5 times or on a Division 1 floor in a Division 1 arena with a state of the art sound system, scoreboards, video board?

 

I would guess video boards and state of the art sound systems would not have appealed to me as a player 43 years ago. I just wanted to win. But today, who knows with a number of the kids. I enjoyed playing in a packed gym. If I had played in front of thousands of empty seats (I did in college, and take it from me, it's no fun) as a high schooler, I might have said who cares about a video board. Of course there was no such a contraption when I played except at old Riverfront Stadium and that big thing out in center field!

Well if you to run an event at an arena you would understand why arenas have rules that perhaps high school gymnasiums do not. No posters at any event at the arena is allowed. It really does not take away from the cheering or the games. Not being able to spell your name in big letters and hang signs really does not change the atmosphere at all. Seems to me to be more ridiculous to get "hung up" on something so meaningless as hanging a sign that you get so upset about it.

A truly typical 2016s response.

Brutal for those who attend church services on Sunday that let out at noon. No Saturday night games?

 

NKU Women's BB Team plays Saturday night at 7, it's their last home game.

A truly typical 2016s response.

 

No clue what this means. My point is that arenas are going to definitely have different rules than a high school gym. If you are dealing with an arena then you are dealing with a different breed. I think they have come a long way from when they hosted both regionals in the same year and are much more accommodating. The folks running the arena really do put forth a great effort to put together a first class production for all involved. I get the point that maybe a high school gymnasium is what some prefer but that is not the case and it is not some horrible dismal atmosphere with no cheering, etc. that some are suggesting. The arena is a great atmosphere for the teams and is first class in all aspects.

I've been to 9th region championship games at Ryle, Conner, Holmes, and NKU. A packed high school gym, which the championship games always are, is pretty awesome. Holmes is my favorite of the three high schools mentioned. But the last few regional championship games at NKU have been great. Around 7000 people have shown up to them. Enough room to not be uncomfortable or hot but enough people for a great atmosphere. I like the regional CHAMPIONSHIP game being at NKU, at least for the boys. Plus I do not consider playing on a college floor a con. If anything it better prepares the players for Rupp. But with all that being said. Most of the cons mentioned about playing at NKU I agree with and it could be made better.

  • Author

I guess the 9th Region leaders better hope and pray two schools with bad followings do not make the championship game for the boys one day. That would be bad to see 900 fans in a 10,000 seat arena for a championship game. It sounds like that is already the case for the girls. Very sad that money rules the minds and souls of those running the 9th Region.

  • Author
No clue what this means. My point is that arenas are going to definitely have different rules than a high school gym. If you are dealing with an arena then you are dealing with a different breed. I think they have come a long way from when they hosted both regionals in the same year and are much more accommodating. The folks running the arena really do put forth a great effort to put together a first class production for all involved. I get the point that maybe a high school gymnasium is what some prefer but that is not the case and it is not some horrible dismal atmosphere with no cheering, etc. that some are suggesting. The arena is a great atmosphere for the teams and is first class in all aspects.

 

I have not been in this arena so I can't say, but from Clyde and several other creditable posters on this forum I get a feeling the atmosphere is anything but great. It sounds very suspect at best. I texted one of my buddies who lives in N.Ky. and asked about it and he said the enthusiasm is only evident during the boys championship game. He also said the first round boys games are rarely nothing but less than 25% of the arena filled. That's not a good atmosphere in my opinion. But let's move on to the games!

I've been to 9th region championship games at Ryle, Conner, Holmes, and NKU. A packed high school gym, which the championship games always are, is pretty awesome. Holmes is my favorite of the three high schools mentioned. But the last few regional championship games at NKU have been great. Around 7000 people have shown up to them. Enough room to not be uncomfortable or hot but enough people for a great atmosphere. I like the regional CHAMPIONSHIP game being at NKU, at least for the boys. Plus I do not consider playing on a college floor a con. If anything it better prepares the players for Rupp. But with all that being said. Most of the cons mentioned about playing at NKU I agree with and it could be made better.

 

The 9th Region has won the Sweet 16 only three times in its nearly 100 year history.

 

1981 - Simon Kenton

2009 - Holmes

2014 - CovCath

 

2 of those 3 times the regional tourney was held at the NKU Arena, helping to suggest that playing there has helped prepare teams for the atmosphere at Rupp Arena.

 

I too have great memories of the packed regionals at Holmes, Conner, and Ryle and understand much of the pros and cons presented in this thread, but at the end of the day I can't get past what a benefit it is for a team entering the Sweet 16 at Rupp to have already had the experience of playing in an arena type atmosphere.

 

Sure, one can point to multiple reasons why the 9th in recent years have had champion strength teams, but I have to believe that one big factor is the benefit of removing the deer in the headlights factor that have in the past undoubtedly stunned many past 9th Region champs not prepared for the experience.

 

So far there have been seven 9th Region Tournaments held at NKU with 4 of those championship teams going deep into the Sweet 16, and two of them winning it all. The proof appears to be in the pudding.

10th Region - no $ for parking and $7 for ticket. Pizza and Hot Dogs $2.

9th Region - parking $5 and ticket $8. Pizza I think was $5 and Hot Dog $4.

 

Someone is making a killing at the 9th Region Tourney!

The 9th Region has won the Sweet 16 only three times in its nearly 100 year history.

 

1981 - Simon Kenton

2009 - Holmes

2014 - CovCath

 

2 of those 3 times the regional tourney was held at the NKU Arena, helping to suggest that playing there has helped prepare teams for the atmosphere at Rupp Arena.

 

I too have great memories of the packed regionals at Holmes, Conner, and Ryle and understand much of the pros and cons presented in this thread, but at the end of the day I can't get past what a benefit it is for a team entering the Sweet 16 at Rupp to have already had the experience of playing in an arena type atmosphere.

 

Sure, one can point to multiple reasons why the 9th in recent years have had champion strength teams, but I have to believe that one big factor is the benefit of removing the deer in the headlights factor that have in the past undoubtedly stunned many past 9th Region champs not prepared for the experience.

 

So far there have been seven 9th Region Tournaments held at NKU with 4 of those championship teams going deep into the Sweet 16, and two of them winning it all. The proof appears to be in the pudding.

 

like.jpg

Also,

 

On the girls side, the benefits of having been prepared for an arena atmosphere over the last 7 years appears to have also been helpful with Holy Cross winning it all in 2015, and Notre Dame being State Runner-ups in 2013.

Call me cheap but I took my son to the first round of the girls Monday and cost me $21 just to get in the door which includes parking. $8 for a 10 year old is ridiculous. 1 large drink and regular popcorn another $9.We won't be going to anymore unless it's our schools team. Those prices will keep me away from other games in the tournament. I'm all for bringing it back to the high school gym where it belongs in my IMO.

@ least its not Wisconsin. They cant even chant "airball" anymore.

 

It is not statewide like Wisconsin, but there are some schools here in KY that have talked to their student sections.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.