Will Newport have any home games in 2024?

Don't know if it's true or not, but heard that because of being in a flood plain they are having trouble with putting in rest rooms, locker rooms and concession stand.

Something about since they tore out the old ones instead of rebuilding them where they were, they started  from scratch and  new regulations about being in a flood zone won't allow the new construction.

51 minutes ago, dshoe40 said:

Don't know if it's true or not, but heard that because of being in a flood plain they are having trouble with putting in rest rooms, locker rooms and concession stand.

Something about since they tore out the old ones instead of rebuilding them where they were, they started  from scratch and  new regulations about being in a flood zone won't allow the new construction.

I was told the same info. I’ll ask the main question. Can’t the Water District or SD1 Install pumps?

That's great. Build it and ask for forgiveness later? Certainly this was known from the get go when applying for a permit to put back Bleachers. Newport Independent would of known about this from Day 1. That field has always been in a Flood plain. Sounds to me that Newport Independent thought they would get what they wanted from the get go and thought it would just go by the wayside. Between Field replacement and now Bathrooms because of the Flood plain is just reckless with Money. Who bales Newport Independent out this time? City? State? America?

• Like 2

On 2/11/2024 at 11:31 PM, Voice of Reason said:

There should be no reason they can't play at home.

Nice porta potties.

Concessions from trailers. 

Wall off some areas under or behind the bleachers for teams to use as lockers rooms,

Is there anything that would stop them from doing that?

Completely agree.  This would be no different than Kentucky Country Day when I was last down there.  Concession and bathrooms were both on trailers that were towed in for game day.  The away team didn't have a locker room, and I don't recall if KCD even had one.

23 hours ago, Breds82 said:

As far as not having a locker room for either team, where do the players, and officials go if there is lightning in the immediate area? BAck on the bus?

Not only that, what about getting dressed, showering etc? Not having lockerroom facilities is just not acceptable.

• Like 1

Right, Newport dressed and showered in the old stadium. I know Walton had locker rooms with bathrooms but no showers for a while, can't recall if they had water to drink. It's crazy to build/rebuild a stadium and not have a permanent running water source for showers, bathrooms and drinking water.

47 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Do all football stadiums have showers in a visitor's locker room?

Since your question specifically says “all”, I would say probably not. But even when I played in the 80’s I can’t remember a single school that I played at that didn’t. In my opinion (which means little to anyone besides myself), a place for the visiting team to dress, shower, store personal items safely and sit down indoors is a basic requirement/courtesy for the 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Looking at the schedules that have been released, I'm seeing the following games for Newport thus far:

Aug 23 at Carroll County
Aug 30 at Holmes
Oct 4 at Lloyd Memorial
Oct 11 vs. Newport Central Catholic

They have had a continuing series against Holmes for quite a few year. Prior to all the stadium issues at Newport, the last time Newport played Holmes at home was in 2020. Then they played them at Holmes in 2021, and then for the past two seasons they have played the game at Holmes out of necessity...but that would more than likely put them back at Newport if things were going as planned at the stadium. So that may or may not mean that they aren't anticipating Newport Stadium being ready by August 30th.

Newport Catholic's schedule lists all of their home games as "at Newport Central Catholic," so we don't necessarily know where they are playing all of those. But their October 11th game against Newport is listed as being at Newport.