Gurley Suspended Indefinitely

RomanEmpire

Selfish? Sure. Dumb decision? I don't think so.

Like someone said-- less hits, less miles, more money. Maybe a better draft spot. Good business decision -- even if he didn't intend for it to work out this way.

It is dumb if he is costing his team his services for money. I think college athletes should be paid but they can't right now so knowingly breaking the rules is a dumb decision IMO.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you allow players to get paid for autographs then you have to just open it up entirely so they can get paid.

Why? T Boone Pickens will pay $100,000 for a stud QB's autograph with the unspoken word of "boy, you're coming to OKState."

It always amazes me that no one see's this as the eventuality of allowing players to sell autographs.

If you allow players to get paid for autographs then you have to just open it up entirely so they can get paid.

Why? T Boone Pickens will pay $100,000 for a stud QB's autograph with the unspoken word of "boy, you're coming to OKState."

Good point.

It's pretty simple, you don't like the fact that you can't sell your autograph while playing college sports don't play college sports.

Totally agree. And if he is out indefinitely, while that usually is code for minutes not seasons, he's still the first RB selected in April, IMO.

I'm hearing that the person who asked him sign the autographs is a Florida fan, and a member of the Florida alumni association.

But, he knew the rules. I am sure every year, in every sport, on day one, all of the players are warned about stuff like this. He figured he wouldn't get caught, but he did. As was mentioned, Ohio State's issue with this was only a few years ago, fans can't be complaining when I am positive they heard of the OSU issues.

Having said that, as has been mentioned here more than a few times, as soon as the big 6 or whatever number of conferences are invited, as soon as they figure out the other sports (outside of football and possibly basketball), then they will finally break away from the NCAA. It's within site.

Why should a high profile college player get punished for getting paid to sign his name? Dumbest thing that keeps happening in college football. They've earned their stripes and worked hard to get to the point of people giving them cold hard cash (and cars and stuff) for them writing down their name on something. Good for Gurley. Screw the NCAA.

They don't have time to work jobs and make money. This isn't drug dealing. Let them get paid to sign autographs if people are wiling to pay.

I believe he sold his autograph, which woukd make him a professional. Had he just signed it without cash being involved I believe there wouldn't be a problem.

Why not cap it and let them make some dough?

I'm hearing that the person who asked him sign the autographs is a Florida fan, and a member of the Florida alumni association.

But, he knew the rules. I am sure every year, in every sport, on day one, all of the players are warned about stuff like this. He figured he wouldn't get caught, but he did. As was mentioned, Ohio State's issue with this was only a few years ago, fans can't be complaining when I am positive they heard of the OSU issues.

Having said that, as has been mentioned here more than a few times, as soon as the big 6 or whatever number of conferences are invited, as soon as they figure out the other sports (outside of football and possibly basketball), then they will finally break away from the NCAA. It's within site.

OSU got crushed and Manziel got off clean, interested to see what happens to Gurley.

OSU got crushed and Manziel got off clean, interested to see what happens to Gurley.

Don't forget that JT and Ohio State tried to cover theirs up while Georgia and Texas A&M were up front with the NCAA about violations.

Sounds like a setup!

Don't forget that JT and Ohio State tried to cover theirs up while Georgia and Texas A&M were up front with the NCAA about violations.

True but JT was separate from the players and met his fate in the NCAA. If Manziel can allegedly get around 40k for autographs and sentenced to a 1 half suspension, why shouldn't everyone, I don't see why it's open game. The NCAA continues to pick and choose.