Gurley Suspended Indefinitely

RomanEmpire

True but JT was separate from the players and met his fate in the NCAA. If Manziel can allegedly get around 40k for autographs and sentenced to a 1 half suspension, why shouldn't everyone, I don't see why it's open game. The NCAA continues to pick and choose.

And now you want the rules relaxed? I'm so confused.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the rules can't apply to everyone differently. But if Cam and Manziel can get paid and sanctioned why shouldn't everyone try? That's why rules and laws exist to prevent people from crossing the line.

Case-by-case basis. That's the way it is. Did he lie about it when asked by the NCAA or did he fess up? Who exactly paid him? Was it a licensed agent hoping to land Gurley's services when he goes pro like Reggie Bush? Just because money was involved for autographs doesn't mean it should be treated the same as the other cases.

As was stated already. I had a problem with all the trouble the OSU players got in for selling their own stuff and selling autpgraphs shouldn't be a violation, but the fact it is makes what he did cause for suspension imo.

What kills me is the fact that he is going to make millions at the next level, just keep your nose clean this year and you can write your own ticket. When someone like him can't even do that I don't feel sorry for them.

Case-by-case basis. That's the way it is. Did he lie about it when asked by the NCAA or did he fess up? Who exactly paid him? Was it a licensed agent hoping to land Gurley's services when he goes pro like Reggie Bush? Just because money was involved for autographs doesn't mean it should be treated the same as the other cases.

I understand what you're saying but you're also creating a way for players to get paid by creating stipulations...

I understand what you're saying but you're also creating a way for players to get paid by creating stipulations...

I don't disagree. I think they should be paid fairly for sure. Unfortunately they aren't and it bugs the crap out of me that Gurley and even Manziel and the others would jeopardize their eligibility and their team's wins for some cash. So. Selfish.

They know the rules.

It always amazes me that no one see's this as the eventuality of allowing players to sell autographs.

I think that's already going on. Boosters will already indirectly pay people. Maybe it's giving an AAU coach or family member a job at the school or something like that, maybe it's a booster paying kids, whatever. Big time college athletics is already there.

I disagree. If the rule is going to be that you can't be paid for autographs, it shouldn't matter whether you get paid $5 or $5,000. That's the only way to make it "fair."

It's a stupid rule, but it can't be case by case, IMO.

A difference in the Manziel, Gurley, AJ Green of Georgia situations and Ohio State situation that people are also forgetting: the OSU memorabilia was also being traded to someone facing some pretty significant Federal years on drug charges. AJ Green signed some game worn gear and sold it. Manziel and Gurley were probably dealing with people who were autograph brokers or just doing it to make some extra cash and pocket spending money.

I disagree. If the rule is going to be that you can't be paid for autographs, it shouldn't matter whether you get paid $5 or $5,000. That's the only way to make it "fair."

It's a stupid rule, but it can't be case by case, IMO.

Everything is case by case. Just the way it is. Cooperation has to be taken into account as well.

I disagree. If the rule is going to be that you can't be paid for autographs' date=' it shouldn't matter whether you get paid $5 or $5,000. That's the only way to make it "fair." It's a stupid rule, but it can't be case by case, IMO.[/quote']

I'm more of a black and white guy and agree with this. If your going 2 mph over you are speeding. The NCAA is a mess as we all know, creating case-by-case situations, is completely unfair as it will show favoritism and leniency toward some and not others.

I'm more of a black and white guy and agree with this. If your going 2 mph over you are speeding. The NCAA is a mess as we all know, creating case-by-case situations, is completely unfair as it will show favoritism and leniency toward some and not others.

The NCAA hasn't done anything yet. Georgia did it on their own.