Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

JokersWild24

Former Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by JokersWild24

  1. Big fan of Ogbogu here. Love the kid's edge and what he brought to the table for a Lexington Catholic team that needed some of that swag and toughness.
  2. Wow. Glad to here this for my friends from the Dirty 'Boro who went there. Could be a real sleeping giant.
  3. Won't lie, as a kid, I struggled with holes. Have trouble telling left from right occasionally (especially if talking to someone else and trying to think "my right or your right"), etc. I also wondered why they didn't just number them 1-2-3-4-5 as you went across.
  4. I've heard Nick Napier, a current assistant at Bell County and former assistant at Scott County. He'd be a great choice. Young guy but still has some experience, already has a state championship ring. Player's coach who would be someone that the kids and parents really liked. He's as far from a "yeller and screamer" as you can get; he can teach the game and still develop kids without all that. Just heard his name mentioned but would definitely be a good choice and will make a difference in whichever program gives him his first chance as a head coach.
  5. Would be very good for players with things like dyslexia as well.
  6. http://usafootball.com/blogs/americas-game/post/9484/enterprising-dad-creates-sleeves%2C-gloves-to-help-son-remember-holes
  7. Always liked watching Breeden's teams play and can say he was one hell of a coach. Hadn't had any interaction with him other than him being a very nice guy when I covered the 11th for BGP. Some coaches you'd contact to get info could be like pulling teeth, but the guy who was a graduate assistant at UK and had plenty of regional titles to hang his hat on as well was always one of the guys who'd be one of the first to respond to requests about his teams for yearly previews and wouldn't act like it was a pain to deal with someone like me who doesn't know nearly much about basketball, etc. Always thought that was very classy and will miss seeing him on the sidelines, but as others have said, it's a well deserved retirement.
  8. Does anyone have any tape of the 1993 Breckenridge County team? I've heard they played five as one better than anyone in our generation and would love to see them operate, but was too young to remember even if I were there.
  9. As far as Rupp, he made it as an 8th grader. I was surprised that he was back at PCC for his junior season honestly.
  10. I've heard the name of a young coach in the area who'd be a really good fit and am wondering if he's going to apply.
  11. Any ideas who is in the running for the next head coach?
  12. Was going to post that one. Can't imagine he's going to stay.
  13. If they let Evans coach there'd have been a mutiny, if there were even any kids left by then. I know of at least one high profile kid who was rumored to be leaving if Evans had stayed. No way they'd have kept that team in tact with him. The kids thought they didn't like Elam, but they loved him compared to Evans from all I've gathered.
  14. Also high school coaches (usually not the head coach, but a member of the staff) who want to get on AAU staffs just to make sure people aren't pulling at their kids too hard (read: I want to be on the staff of my star player's AAU team to keep all the people trying to recruit him to other high schools from doing so).
  15. There are some very good AAU coaches at the top tiers and the higher you go on the grade levels. I don't doubt that at all. I would imagine that the median high school basketball coach is much better than the median AAU coach (unless that AAU coach is a high school assistant or former high school coach, something like that). Lots of people who don't know the game at all are in AAU and think that latching onto kids are going to get them a high school job. You can definitely look at some of them and tell that they didn't play themselves.
  16. Way too early preseason rankings, but let me know what you think: Tier 1: 1. Dunbar Tier 2: 2. Lafayette 3. Lexington Catholic 4. Lexington Christian Academy Tier 3: 5. Bryan Station Tier 4: 6. Henry Clay 7. Scott County Tier 5: 8. Madison Central 9. Franklin County 10. Tates Creek 11. Woodford County *Lots of these rankings are speculation on what the teams have coming back, the size of their schools, etc. *Of the three, I really want to see what Lexington Catholic, Lexington Christian Academy, and Scott County wind up opening the year with. *I have Lafayette at #2 because they have a ton of seniors, many of which played important roles last season. The way Mendenhall plays so many kids, you know that others will be ready to step up as well. *With Lexington Catholic, I wonder who steps up and scores for them in half-court situations, especially when they need that "go to" guy. *For LCA, King, Rode, and a healthy Hill are a solid core. *Station has two immensely talented kids in Andre Davis and DeAndre Dishman (the latter of which I felt was severely underrated last season), but they lost some huge pieces with Claitt, Walker, and Owsley gone. *Henry Clay still has Isaiah Tisdale, and Coach Brown has a bit of a knack for exceeding expectations. If a guy like Justin Mitchell is able to step up, that'd be huge for the Devils. They'll likely be a bit of a work in progress through the season, but I've learned not to count them out.
  17. Is the Tates Creek job still open, and if not, who got it? I only ask because I don't see it listed on KHSAA.org.
  18. For the '98 and '99 team, post #2 in the thread below has the guys who played in the State Tournament, then went on to play in college. Pretty incredible lists when looking at the overall depth and talent. '98 was the first year I started attending the whole tournament (at least that I was old enough to remember), and I'm not sure there was a two year stretch better than those classes. Really spoiled me seeing the depth and talent in those years as my first tournaments. http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-boys-basketball/all-decade-state-280497.html
  19. No worries. I think Thomas gives them another dimension with his length.
  20. Was referring to Cameron Thomas.
  21. Coach Cody is doing a good job and has been building Western Hills well, but I expect that entire district to be wide open next season. Far too early to declare a winner.
  22. Sounds like a nice squad. I'm a big fan of Carpenter and Dishman and feel that each is a little underrated. Huge on Tisdale, but that's kind of shone through over the past season.
  23. Dunbar will be a very tough out for anyone in the State. Mark it down, they will be better than expected.
  24. Isaiah Tisdale, even as a sophomore, wasn't too bad himself either. He was a big part of what they were able to do later on in that season. They had a few other kids who who could have really done some things off the bench. They still made a regional final and gave Scott County a nice game in that one. I'm in agreement with everyone else about that being a very good team. I'll take it one further and say that they could have even been one of the top teams to come out of the 11th in the past decade or so. As Juniors, that same team almost beat Madison Central in the regional final the year they went on to win State. Everyone probably remembers the great games Central had against Holmes, Hopkinsville, and Ballard once they were in Rupp, but they were almost eliminated by the Devils in the regional semis.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.