Teams that might have been

I was discussing this with a friend of mine this week. Some know and some don't that Connor Maddox and Owens Crawford of Augusta played their middle school ball at St. Patrick. And some have pointed out what a team St. Patrick could've had with them and Andrew Sticklen on the same team. Made me think of another St. Patrick middle school team that had Stephen Mason and Lee Gallenstein on it as well as a center named Clint Englert who would eventually grow to 6'6 and transfer to St. Mary's in Paducah, a guard named Lee Stahl who would go on to play for Bellarmine after moving to Florida for High School, and a forward named Neal Pawsat who Mason County football fans will recognize. That team beat Campbelle County and Harrison County along with many other big name schools as middle schoolers and no doubt would've been a force in high school. Got me wondering if anyone else had similar stories about would've-been powerhouse teams that ended up breaking up early for one reason or another.

At least one other I can think of is the 2011 Fleming County Panthers. They already had Darion Burns and Troy Stewart, two of Fleming's all time greats. But they also could've had a guard named Troy Gibbs, who had transferred to Rowan County the year before, and didn't have much of an organized career, but achieved near mythical status in the Maysville street-ball scene. Also could've had Corey and Charlie Rogers but they ended up going to highschool about an hour southwest in Winchester. Would've been a truly dominant team.

Owensboro High School won the 2015 state championship showcasing Aric Holman(multiple high D1 offers),Justin Miller(multiple D1 offers)& Jacoby Harris. What many folks don't realize is Marshall Griffith(Gulf Coast FL CC) was at Owensboro until his Sophmore year. He transferred to Daviess Co. Eli Wright(multiple high D1 offers) & Ben Moss(D1 offer) were in the Owensboro school district until the 8th grade. They decided to enroll at Apollo as freshmen. All those kids could have been on the Red Devils state championship team.

Great thread, eager to see responses.

How about the dynasty itty bitty Sayre could’ve had 2012-2014 if their middle schoolers 2013 Mike Smith, 2014/2013 Dakhari Johnson, and 2014 Christian Cunningham had stayed to play with role players 2012 Reid Freeman, 2012 Ray Brewer, 2014 Justin Sanders, and youngsters 2015 Quinn Pergande and 2017 Jake Duby?

1998 and 1999 Clay County teams. Had a guy who led them in scoring a sophomore tear an ACL and was never really able to play again. Worked hard all year to make it back for the end of his Junior season, plays a few minutes at region and a few at Rupp before going down and it's hurt again. Also had two guys who transferred from OBI (which is in Clay County) who'd went to Clay County's public grade schools that were declared ineligible for the 1998 season. Both of those teams were really good, but both could have been much better as well.

Walton-Verona had a mass exodus, I might be missing someone else?

Tanner Moeves - NewCath

Grant Moeves - NewCath

Drew Burns - Brossart

Zach McNeil - Cooper

Kyle Dougherty - Simon Kenton

Daniel Helton - Community Christian Academy

Sometimes I think about what could have been in 1994/95. Simon Kenton made the region in 94 and won in 95. Joe Harney enrolled at HC as a frosh while Jason Williams left for Cross after his freshman year. They were key in leading HC to the state quarters in 94. Jeremy Palmer also attended WV and was solid at 6'6". I can only dream about a backcourt of Jeff Krohman (KWC) and Joe Harney 6'4 (WKU)along with Jeff McKinley 6'5" (UL, .NKU)", in the backcourt. Williams 6'6", Palmer and 6'5" Scott Meyer, Bill Dennis and a solid group of role players. They would have been a threat to win both years.

At least one other I can think of is the 2011 Fleming County Panthers. They already had Darion Burns and Troy Stewart, two of Fleming's all time greats. But they also could've had a guard named Troy Gibbs, who had transferred to Rowan County the year before, and didn't have much of an organized career, but achieved near mythical status in the Maysville street-ball scene. Also could've had Corey and Charlie Rogers but they ended up going to highschool about an hour southwest in Winchester. Would've been a truly dominant team.

Goodness. There is no one in town more fun to watch in rec ball. He can make anyone look plain silly.

Walton-Verona had a mass exodus, I might be missing someone else?

Tanner Moeves - NewCath

Grant Moeves - NewCath

Drew Burns - Brossart

Zach McNeil - Cooper

Kyle Dougherty - Simon Kenton

Daniel Helton - Community Christian Academy

If that group stays together, no doubt they win the 8th region multiple times.

Ohio County could have had their own team with Trace Young who is now at Apollo, Justin Miller who won state championship at Owensboro and Conner Wilson who has a d-1 offer from North Texas. All Three from Ohio County and none played there this year.

Holmes was really good with the 07 class that featured Hill, Jefferson, and Rice but I always wonder how much better they could have been had Mike Hester and Nate Edmondson stayed all 4 years. Edmondson obviously played there his soph and junior years but went to SK with Hester frosh year and Gallatin Co his senior year...same year Holmes lost to Scott CO in the state semi's.

No doubt in my mind that "original" group of Tar Heels could've brought back a state title to Holmes if they play together all 4 years.

Also would've liked to seen 6'9 Wright St commit Dan Penick (Ludlow) at Holmes his senior year. He actually attempted to transfer to Holmes the year they had 6'6 Lexi Brown as a senior and won region, but Ludlow admin fought it and he ended up staying put to avoid not being ruled eligible.

Current Miami (OH) commit, Zack McCormick was also attempting to enroll at Dixie Heights before ending up at Turpin because his dad didn't want him playing there. Put him and Hatton together their junior and senior years and Dixie likely not only wins region, but possibly a state title.