Big East

RondoRules

It is a shame the committee matched up Big East teams in two "second round" games. That would have helped this debate. Personally, as I said earlier, the Big East's results in the tourney are all overblown. They are at .500 (9-9) which is a typical record for a conference in the tournament. I guess the hype is because since they got 11 teams in, the media and everyone else expected them to go 15-5 in the tourney and that is not going to happen. There is too much parity in NCAA basketball. And like others said (including Barkley), the Big East has great coaches more than they have great players this year. Talent wins. The Morehead/UL game is an example. Morehead had the most talented player on the floor and they won the game. U Conn won the Big East tourney and is still alive because they have the most talent, led by Kemba. Pitt and ND are very solid well coached teams but where is their NBA level talent? I am not a Big East fan. And while I agree the Big East has underperformed, it is only by a little and much of that is due to over hyped expectations by the media because of 11 teams in. I remember a few years back, the Big Ten got 6 or 7 teams in and it was unheard of and they suffered the same treatment the Big East is getting this year. The Big East's 9-9 is not a bad record after the first two rounds.

Had they played up to their seeding. They would have been 14-6 with 5 teams in sweet sixteen.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a shame the committee matched up Big East teams in two "second round" games. That would have helped this debate. Personally, as I said earlier, the Big East's results in the tourney are all overblown. They are at .500 (9-9) which is a typical record for a conference in the tournament. I guess the hype is because since they got 11 teams in, the media and everyone else expected them to go 15-5 in the tourney and that is not going to happen. There is too much parity in NCAA basketball. And like others said (including Barkley), the Big East has great coaches more than they have great players this year. Talent wins. The Morehead/UL game is an example. Morehead had the most talented player on the floor and they won the game. U Conn won the Big East tourney and is still alive because they have the most talent, led by Kemba. Pitt and ND are very solid well coached teams but where is their NBA level talent? I am not a Big East fan. And while I agree the Big East has underperformed, it is only by a little and much of that is due to over hyped expectations by the media because of 11 teams in. I remember a few years back, the Big Ten got 6 or 7 teams in and it was unheard of and they suffered the same treatment the Big East is getting this year. The Big East's 9-9 is not a bad record after the first two rounds.

9-9 is a TERRIBLE record given the seeds that the Big East had. By now, you realize that with 11 teams it is impossible to avoid second round matchups right?

Not making an argument for or against but think about this. Take all the Big East teams that lost and replace them with teams from another single conference, SEC, Pac 10, Big 12, whoever...how would that conference fair? I don't think anyone said the 11 teams from the Big East were the top 11 teams in the country but what other conference had 68% of their teams good enough to make the tournament? Were there 8 Sec or Big 12 teams good enough to make the tournament? What about 7 Big 10 or Pac 10 teams?

Had they played up to their seeding. They would have been 14-6 with 5 teams in sweet sixteen.

Exactly right and Marquette won't last much longer either...who knows how other conferences would have fared had they had that many teams in there (plus add in the fact that the high seedings were designed so they win and advance). The Big East was overhyped coming in. Yeah they have big name and overpaid coaches, but isn't college basketball all about the coaches? Pro game is about the players. After every NCAA game the focus is always on Calhoun, or Pitino, or Huggins, or Cal or Ryan...in the pro game they always talk to the player.

Well done! :thumb:

Though I would have included Boeheim instead of Huggins, because at least from a seeding perspective, Huggins' team did what it was supposed to do. Boeheim, on the other hand, crashes and burns yet again.

That zones not as effective against teams who can shoot the ball. There comes a time when man to man is your best bet on defense.