Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Big East

Featured Replies

Take any conference and rank them 1-10, 12 what. Then match them against the Big East teams, 1 plays 1, 2 plays 2, and so one. Can someone name one conference that would consistently go better then .500.

  • Replies 234
  • Views 24.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I am laid up from a surgery, I am enjoying reading this banter.

Here is the Taters thought for what it is worth.

 

I am a UK fan (Don't Like Calipari for crap though) and a lifetime SEC fan. With that said I too thought and still think from TOP to bottom the Big East was the strongest and most exciting to watch this year. When it comes to tourney time no matter what conference, who the coach is, or how many McD's all americans you have, it comes down to 17-22 year old young men out on the floor. On any given night anyone can win and that is what makes it exciting.

 

Please note that I am not backing GT!! I can't find my smilies????

Are you going to come over and take care of my 8 month old so I can get online more frequently? :rolleyes:

 

You've got 77,000 posts, I thought maybe you had a laptop on the changing table???

Seems we are starting to have this conversation every year now. To me that is more telling.

 

Top to bottom? Sure they are the best. Is that more because of quantity and not quality though?

 

I have been saying that since the Big East became the "super conference". I started a thread (with some research) in it a year or two ago. Obviously a lot has changed since then, but the point remains the same. Most of the quality wins for Big East teams comes when they beat other Big East teams. UCONN is the exception this year.

I love the Big East! I love that you all hate the Big East! :lol::lol::lol:

 

My thoughts exactly.....

How about calling the Big East the most even conference in America. I think Barkley hit the nail on the head. Solid players/teams, excellent coaches, and I would add they play very hard. But they really don't/didn't have a team on the same level as Kansas, OSU, or Duke.

 

The way I look at it is this, UK who lost 6 games in the SEC and was awareded a 4 seed absolutely man handled Notre Dame and Louisvile.

 

There isn't a team comparable to Ohio State or Kansas in any conference. Duke is another question.

There isn't a team comparable to Ohio State or Kansas in any conference. Duke is another question.

 

There is not a team in the Big East as good a Duke. Duke would beat them all in a best of 5 series.

Florida: Morehead State, Florida State, Xavier, Kansas State

Kentucky: Washington, Notre Dame, Louisville

Tennessee: Belmont (2), VCU, Pittsburgh, Villanova, Memphis

Georgia: UAB

Vanderbilt: North Carolina, Belmont, Marquette

 

That's 17 wins from the 5 SEC schools over the NCAA field....26 from 11 teams for the BEast, 17 from 5 teams from the SEC...

Auburn beat Florida State.

There is not a team in the Big East as good a Duke. Duke would beat them all in a best of 5 series.

 

I have serious doubts about that; they couldn't come close to beating St. John's. I know that one of their better players wasn't injured at that time and that it was at MSG, but for Duke to lose that game how they did and to realistically believe they could beat EVERY team in the Big East in a best out of five series is as equivalent to me believing in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny.

 

With Michigan nearly coming back as far behind as they were yesterday and for the game to end the way it did provides enough of a statement that Duke isn't better than the whole Big East. JMO though.

 

Another thing that I believe is that people are looking at Pitt losing to Butler as the red flag or surprise, which shouldn't be happening if it is. Everyone, including most Big East fans knows that Pitt is overrated just about every year.

Edited by hrcarrier

I have serious doubts about that; they couldn't come close to beating St. John's. I know that one of their better players wasn't injured at that time and that it was at MSG, but for Duke to lose that game how they did and to realistically believe they could beat EVERY team in the Big East in a best out of five series is as equivalent to me believing in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny.

 

With Michigan nearly coming back as far behind as they were yesterday and for the game to end the way it did provides enough of a statement that they aren't better than the whole Big East. JMO though.....

 

So which Big East teams would beat Duke in a best of 5?

So which Big East teams would beat Duke in a best of 5?

 

With UConn playing the way they are now, I believe their chances would be good.

While we can all agree that the hype is more than reality what conference would we say is better?

 

I'm between the Big East and Big Ten and do not believe any other conferences are close to them.

With UConn playing the way they are now, I believe their chances would be good.

 

Hopefully we'll find that out soon enough.

Record vs BCS teams in non-league play

Big East 29-16 (.644)

Big 12: 25-20 (.555)

ACC: 24-27 (.470)

Big 10: 17-20 (.459)

Pac 10: 12-19 (.387)

SEC: 19-24 (.441)

 

I checked out the schedules from Big East teams & made my own list. I included the tournament teams & any team from a BCS conference (or at least I tried to).

 

The Big East went 41-23 (64%).

 

Here are the teams they played & their record against those teams:

 

2-0 v. Alabama

1-0 v. Arizona State

0-1 v. Arkansas

2-0 v. Auburn

1-0 v. Butler

0-1 v. BYU

1-0 v. Cal

0-1 v. Clemson

1-1 v. Cleveland St*

1-1 v. Dayton*

1-1 v. Duke

0-1 v. Fordham*

1-0 v. Ga Tech

1-0 v. Georgia

1-1 v. Gonzaga

1-0 v. Harvard *

1-3 v. Kentucky

2-0 v. Maryland

1-0 v. Memphis

1-1 v. Miami FL

1-0 v. Michigan

2-0 v. Michigan St

0-1 v. Minnesota

1-0 v. Mizzou

2-0 v. NC State

1-0 v. Northwestern

1-0 v. Oakland

0-1 v. OK State

1-0 v. Oklahoma

0-1 v. Princeton

0-1 v. Richmond

0-1 v. St. Mary's College*

0-1 v. St. Bonnie's*

0-1 v. Stanford

1-2 v. Temple

1-2 v. Tennessee

2-0 v. Texas

1-0 v. Texas Tech

1-0 v. UCLA

1-0 v. UMASS*

1-0 v. UNC

1-0 v. UNLV

1-1 v. Vandy

1-1 v. VCU

1-0 v. Wichita St.*

1-1 v. Wisconsin

1-1 v. Xavier

 

I may have missed a few games, especially if other Big East teams played St. Mary's (or other non-BCS teams).

 

5-5 against the teams with an *, which are non-tournament teams who are also non-BCS teams.

Florida: Morehead State, Florida State, Xavier, Kansas State

Kentucky: Washington, Notre Dame, Louisville

Tennessee: Belmont (2), VCU, Pittsburgh, Villanova, Memphis

Georgia: UAB

Vanderbilt: North Carolina, Belmont, Marquette

 

That's 17 wins from the 5 SEC schools over the NCAA field....26 from 11 teams for the BEast, 17 from 5 teams from the SEC...

 

Add Boston University to UK. They were a tourney team.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.