Big East

RondoRules

My question is this ... if the Big East isn't the best conference, which conference is the best? Is it the ACC because they have 3 teams in the Sweet 16? They are the only conference with more teams in the Sweet 16 than the Big East. The Big East was 7-4 in round one, which is a solid showing. They have underperformed but not by that much. Did anyone expect them to go undefeated in round one? What should their record have been after round one? Two of their losses in round two were to Big East teams. I think it is all overblown.

So what conference is the best? I think the only conference that could even make an argument is the Big Ten. They were 5-2 after round one and are 7-5 in the tournament with 2 teams in the Sweet 16. The ACC is kicking butt in the tournament. Maybe Va. Tech should have got in over Villanova.

You think the performance by the Big East in the tournament is overblown. Haven't underperformed by much? Are you kidding me?

11 teams in and just two left.

(1) Pittsburgh

(2) Notre Dame

(3) Syracuse

(3) UCONN

(4) Louisville

(5) West Virginia

(6) St. John's

(6) Georgetown

(6) Cincinnati

(9) Villanova

(11) Marquette

Only Marquette and UCONN remain.

Six of the nine (Pitt, ND, Syracuse, Louisville, St. John's, Georgetown) lost to teams seeded worse than they were.

Sure, two were knocked about by other Big East teams but on the other hand, the only two teams to advance did so by beating other Big East teams.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason you feel that way is because they have more teams than any other conference

I've thought, and probably still feel, that the Big East is top to bottom the best conference in the country. But I also felt (and feel) that they lack a great team. I've thought all year, despite their conference struggles, that UCONN was the best team because they have the best player. Sir Charles hit it on the head when he said Kemba Walker is the only real elite player in the conference. I think we're seeing that UCONN is indeed the cream of the crop in the Big East.

I've never, ever been a believer in Pittsburgh. Jamie Dixon has choked away enough wins in the tournament to prevent me from taking them too far. Felt they were overrated all year, totally undeserving a #1 seed, & I had them bowing out to Kansas State in the Sweet 16. Same is true for the softies in Southbend. Mike Bray is of the same mold as Dixon, and I don't see the Irish ever making a serious post-season run on his watch. Also why I had Notre Dame going down in the Sweet 16.

Syracuse is the disappointing team in the conference IMO. They have arguably the best talent year in and year out, but the Orange are home early yet again.

St. John's & UL had excellent seasons, despite their early exits. And UC had a tremendous season--just didn't have the firepower to overcome Kemba Walker & company. If Gates stays next year, UC could be one of the league's top 2 or 3 teams IMO.

If Pitt beats Butler I don't think the argument against is as good and Pitt played really well that game. Butler just hit shots that they didn't hit all year. It's easy to pound a conference now, but the 11 they got in this year all deserved to be in. The fact that the 9th and 11th teams remain show that. Barkley is right though that they are all solid but none are spectacular. They don't have NBA talent which to me is weird because they are in big markets and they are a basketball first league with great coaches and huge budgets.

My question is this ... if the Big East isn't the best conference, which conference is the best? Is it the ACC because they have 3 teams in the Sweet 16?

They are probably still the best conference this year, but the way some people act its like the conference is God's gift to basketball.

I'm suprised we haven't heard the excuse of, "well they beat on each other so much during the season and tournament that they just don't have enough in the tank by the time the big dance rolls around." :rolleyes:

College basketball is comprised of about 50 teams which could be ranked 15-25. The Big East had about 9 of those this season. Pitt being the only exception but no true great player which held them back from being in that top 5 range. I do not get all bent out of shape over how teams perform in 1 game scenarios. Only team I did not feel belonged in the field was Villanova.

I'm suprised we haven't heard the excuse of, "well they beat on each other so much during the season and tournament that they just don't have enough in the tank by the time the big dance rolls around." :rolleyes:

Just heard Jamie Dixon mention it on Mike and Mike. He also said they still have to win, which they did not.

Sweet 16:

ACC - UNC, Duke, FSU

SEC - UK, UF

Big10 - Ohio St, Wisconsin

MWC - SDSU, BYU

Big East - Marq, UConn

Pac10 - Arizona

Big 12 - Kansas

A10 - Richmond

CAA - VCU

Horizon - Butler

Amazing. And yes, Big East = over rated.

:popcorn:

Sir Charles was ripping them pretty good earlier today with Pitino in studio, and he didn't seem to be liking it too much. :lol:

Yes he was getting upset and what makes Pitino llook even worse now is after Barkley said that Pitino guaranteed that ND wouild win their game.

The only reason you feel that way is because they have more teams than any other conference

No, that's not it at all. But thanks for trying to tell me why I feel what I feel...

It all comes down to percentages. From my perspective, 62.5% of the Big East's teams deserved an NCAA bid (10 out of 16 teams, excluding Villanova). That's a higher percentage than any other conference out there. The Big 10, IMO, deserved to get 54.5% of its teams (6 out of 11 teams, excluding Penn State).

62.5% > 54.5%

It is a shame the committee matched up Big East teams in two "second round" games. That would have helped this debate. Personally, as I said earlier, the Big East's results in the tourney are all overblown. They are at .500 (9-9) which is a typical record for a conference in the tournament. I guess the hype is because since they got 11 teams in, the media and everyone else expected them to go 15-5 in the tourney and that is not going to happen. There is too much parity in NCAA basketball. And like others said (including Barkley), the Big East has great coaches more than they have great players this year. Talent wins. The Morehead/UL game is an example. Morehead had the most talented player on the floor and they won the game. U Conn won the Big East tourney and is still alive because they have the most talent, led by Kemba. Pitt and ND are very solid well coached teams but where is their NBA level talent? I am not a Big East fan. And while I agree the Big East has underperformed, it is only by a little and much of that is due to over hyped expectations by the media because of 11 teams in. I remember a few years back, the Big Ten got 6 or 7 teams in and it was unheard of and they suffered the same treatment the Big East is getting this year. The Big East's 9-9 is not a bad record after the first two rounds.

I don't watch a lot of Big East basketball, but when I do I have noticed a couple of things. The Big East has great athletes playing for most every team. They don't have great "basketball players" for the most part. I have also noticed while watching Big East games, how much they let them play and be physical (to a fault). I wonder if they struggle with how games are called in neutral court settings. I would have to think that all Big East supporters are licking their wounds right now with the debacle that has taken place with their "best teams". That must be why we haven't heard from them yet...I am sure they will be out as soon as UK gets beat however...

I also think a lot of the perception is who they lost to. Had these Big East teams lost to schools from BCS conferences in the Sweet 16 we might not hear so much bashing but after Butler, Morehead State and VCU.......well.....let the bashing begin.

I think there is some truth in that. Although Butler is the defending runner up and VCU has beaten a Pac 10 team and the #2 Big Ten team in addition to Georgetown you are right, these are not BCS conference teams the Big East is losing to.