Big East

RondoRules

How about calling the Big East the most even conference in America. I think Barkley hit the nail on the head. Solid players/teams, excellent coaches, and I would add they play very hard. But they really don't/didn't have a team on the same level as Kansas, OSU, or Duke.

The way I look at it is this, UK who lost 6 games in the SEC and was awareded a 4 seed absolutely man handled Notre Dame and Louisvile.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top to bottom Big East is the best conference. Best teams in basketball in the Big East? No.

Succinctly put, and probably correct. I would have debated on Villanova and probably replaced them with Colorado, but would have put the other 10 teams in the tourney.

Lots of factors came together to get 11 BE teams in. First, there were 68 slots instead of 65. More importantly, many of the traditional power conferences were down.

Even after the selections were announced, were many folks seriously talking about BE teams as national champions? Most of what I heard centered on OSU, Kansas, and Duke.

Has the BE underperformed? Yes, they have. Were they the premier conference in the nation this season? Yes, they were.

How about calling the Big East the most even conference in America. I think Barkley hit the nail on the head. Solid players/teams, excellent coaches, and I would add they play very hard. But they really don't/didn't have a team on the same level as Kansas, OSU, or Duke.

That I can agree with. Outside of Kemba, who is not a projected lottery pick, there just isn't the elite talent level that you usually see in the league. It has been a league dominated by solid 4 year players over the last two seasons, and in a one and done format you are in trouble eventually unless you have that one NBA guy that you can give the ball to and say go take care of it.

Right now it is just a very deep, high quality league that produces great regular season action because of the coaching, depth of quality and balance. UConn was always going to be the most dangerous team in a tournament format because of Kemba, but they weren't going to win 14 games in conference play because they are young and it is such a grind...

That I can agree with. Outside of Kemba, who is not a projected lottery pick, there just isn't the elite talent level that you usually see in the league. It has been a league dominated by solid 4 year players over the last two seasons, and in a one and done format you are in trouble eventually unless you have that one NBA guy that you can give the ball to and say go take care of it.

Right now it is just a very deep, high quality league that produces great regular season action because of the coaching, depth of quality and balance. UConn was always going to be the most dangerous team in a tournament format because of Kemba, but they weren't going to win 14 games in conference play because they are young and it is such a grind...

GT, I think if people listen to Barkley that is exactly what he was saying. It's not the Big East fault that the national media made them out to be something they were not.

I think you are spot on.

Record vs BCS teams in non-league play

Big East 29-16 (.644)

Big 12: 25-20 (.555)

ACC: 24-27 (.470)

Big 10: 17-20 (.459)

Pac 10: 12-19 (.387)

SEC: 19-24 (.441)

And all these stats mean squat when they don't produce when it counts.

And all these stats mean squat when they don't produce when it counts.

They mean it was clearly the best conference in the country despite the results of a single elimination post season tournament. Who was the best conference? The ACC? :lol:

Record vs BCS teams in non-league play

Big East 29-16 (.644)

Big 12: 25-20 (.555)

ACC: 24-27 (.470)

Big 10: 17-20 (.459)

Pac 10: 12-19 (.387)

SEC: 19-24 (.441)

I think what that tells you is that the bottom half of the Big East is better than the bottom half of those other conferences.

Take the SEC as an example. Good teams: Florida, Georgia, UK, Vandy. Mediocre teams: Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi St. Bad teams: Auburn, South Carolina, LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas

Big East. Good teams: UConn, Louisville, ND, Pitt, Syracuse, Marquette. Mediocre teams: Villinova, Georgetown, UC, St. Johns, WVU. Bad teams: Providence, Seton Hall, South Florida, Rutgers, DePaul.

Like I said very even conference with several good teams and no great ones.

They mean it was clearly the best conference in the country despite the results of a single elimination post season tournament. Who was the best conference? The ACC? :lol:

I'm sure you can find me quoted as saying the Big East was the best conference because of quantity and not any GREAT teams. And I also believe you can find me quoted as saying none of the Big East teams will make the Final Four and right now that looks like a safe bet.

And yes, the ACC has performed 10 times better than the Big East in the tournament. Virginia Tech should have been in instead of Nova.

KenPom Non Conference SOS:

Pitt - 217

ND - 208

Cuse - 194

UofL - 277

St John's - 77

WVU - 14

UC - 327

G'town - 34

UConn - 165

Marq - 247

Nova - 162

Seton Hall - 93

Rutgers - 293

Providence - 329

USF - 127

DePaul - 325

I think what that tells you is that the bottom half of the Big East is better than the bottom half of those other conferences.

Take the SEC as an example. Good teams: Florida, Georgia, UK, Vandy. Mediocre teams: Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi St. Bad teams: Auburn, South Carolina, LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas

Big East. Good teams: UConn, Louisville, ND, Pitt, Syracuse, Marquette. Mediocre teams: Villinova, Georgetown, UC, St. Johns, WVU. Bad teams: Providence, Seton Hall, South Florida, Rutgers, DePaul.

Like I said very even conference with several good teams and no great ones.

Agreed, and what I have said all along. And even at the bottom there not as bad as the record would indicate outside of DePaul who was starting over. Providence was tough at home, Rutgers is going to be really good under Mick Rice and Seton Hall had NCAA Tournament talent. There was never a night off, and a few teams found that out the hard way...

I'm sure you can find me quoted as saying the Big East was the best conference because of quantity and not any GREAT teams. And I also believe you can find me quoted as saying none of the Big East teams will make the Final Four and right now that looks like a safe bet.

And yes, the ACC has performed 10 times better than the Big East in the tournament. Virginia Tech should have been in instead of Nova.

What does a schizophrenic VT team have to do with Duke and UNC being elite? Nothing. Nova had a much better resume, so they got in comfortably even with a late season nose dive...

26 regular season/non-conference wins over NCAA field

UConn beat: Texas, Kentucky, Michigan St

West Virginia beat: Purdue, Vandy, Oakland

Syracuse beat: Michigan St, Michigan

St John's beat: Duke

Pitt beat: Texas

Notre Dame beat: Wisconsin, Gonzaga, Georgia

Louisville beat: Butler, UNLV

Cincinnati beat: Xavier

Georgetown beat: Missouri, ODU, Wofford, Utah State, Memphis

Villanova beat: UCLA, Temple, Bucknell, Boston U.

Marquette beat: Bucknell