Did Boyle County run up score?

charlesw88

“You can’t tell your kids to lay down because the score reaches a certain point,” French said. “The second-team players come out to perform, too. They have practiced hard to get the opportunity and they want to play well. They just happened to perform well against Johnson Central.

French summed up my thoughts.

I get so sick of hearing this "running up the score" garbage every year. Sometimes you just play teams better than you...and sometimes you're better than them. But, as French said, you can't lay down and neglect your team just to keep from hurting somebody's feelings.

There are a lot of reasons to keep running your offense...perhaps you have big goals for the season and to get there you need to develop your passing game. A good time to work on that is when you have a comfortable lead. If you put your second unit in, you want those guys to gain experience...not just come in and hand the ball off and punt. As a coach, your primary responsibility is to develop your players and get your team to it's highest level. That includes working on weaknesses with the first unit when possible and allowing the backups (typically underclassmen) to play real football when they get the chance. Someday they will be the future of the program. That experience is invaluable for when they're starting.

Breathitt County has been on both ends of the spectrum. You'll never hear me cry about having the score ran up on my team.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting that Boyle County's second team was playing against Johnson Central's first team defense. I know several successful coaches who go by the credo "it's up to them to submit first. When they pull their starters, I'll pull mine."

I find the whole situation laughable, especially when the past scores appeared in the article. I'm not saying anyone ran up the score, either Friday or in the past. But for Matney to complain about it (publicly at least) is laughable at best.

I find it interesting that Boyle County's second team was playing against Johnson Central's first team defense. I know several successful coaches who go by the credo "it's up to them to submit first. When they pull their starters, I'll pull mine."

I find the whole situation laughable, especially when the past scores appeared in the article. I'm not saying anyone ran up the score, either Friday or in the past. But for Matney to complain about it (publicly at least) is laughable at best.

I agree with your entire post. As far as coaches not pulling their starters, several years ago, I watched a team beat another team pretty bad. The head coach of the winning team worked his way down until he had an entirely freshman team on the field in the 4th quarter. The losing coach left his varsity starters in. After a player for the losing team took a cheap shot at one of the opposing freshman, the officials sent the player to the sidelines, and held the ball the final :39 until time ran out, refusing to set it ready for play. When asked why, the officials said "It was obvious that (the losing team) was frustrated, and we didn't want to see anyone else get hurt. When the coach refused to take out his starters, we felt we had no choice."

Somebody take this paragraph back to Matney and tell him you reap what you sow.....

Last year it had a three-game streak where it beat Paintsville 55-7, Hazard 55-17 and Montgomery County 63-18.

In 2007, Johnson Central had big wins over Bryan Station (58-21), Paintsville (49-15) and Ashland (67-33). Go back to 2006 and you will find a 63-12 win over Boyd County, 56-6 win over Paintsville, 49-7 win over Greenup County, 40-0 win over Mason County and 50-6 win over Boyd County. A year earlier Johnson Central had a 43-0 victory over Lawrence County and 50-6 victory over Paintsville.

Somebody take this paragraph back to Matney and tell him you reap what you sow.....

Last year it had a three-game streak where it beat Paintsville 55-7, Hazard 55-17 and Montgomery County 63-18.

In 2007, Johnson Central had big wins over Bryan Station (58-21), Paintsville (49-15) and Ashland (67-33). Go back to 2006 and you will find a 63-12 win over Boyd County, 56-6 win over Paintsville, 49-7 win over Greenup County, 40-0 win over Mason County and 50-6 win over Boyd County. A year earlier Johnson Central had a 43-0 victory over Lawrence County and 50-6 victory over Paintsville.

:thumb:

Not to mention, we're talking about Johnson Central here. It's not some team that can't compete or loses every week by an average margin of 40-50 points. This may not be an "up" year for them, but they aren't helpless. They're typically a pretty competitive school.

We get this from somebody every year. To be honest, I was afraid this thread was about Breathitt County and Mercer County when I saw "Did BC run up the score?". Breathitt County threw a TD pass late with the game clearly out of reach. I was relieved to see that it was regarding Boyle County.

And, allow me to give credit to Mercer County fans for not going that route. If they have, I've seen no evidence of it on BGP.

I really don't see how you could call it running up the score with the second team offense playing against the first team defense. You can't ask the second team to play half speed, that's how you get players hurt.

I would like to get some Johnson Central fans' take on this. I was not there so I can not say if it was "running it up." However I've known Rebel pretty much all my life and will take his word on it because he would have called it like it was.

I must say a 49-7 score is hardly running it up in this day and time.

The most glaring attempt to "not run up a score" that I ever saw was by Tom Duffy (one who was sometimes accused of "running it up."). Danville was playing Russell County in their perfect season of '84 and I believe it was something like 42 -0 just before half. Instead of punching one in from the one (they had to run another play), he had Keith Morgan take a knee. I'm not sure which would have been more embarassing. :thumb:

BC was not even up enough to get a running clock! Matney should know that the unwritten rule is that it is acceptable to keep the 1's in until the coach feels the game is in hand or the competition is completely overmatched and the margin requires a running clock. That's why they have the rule in the first place. Seems that Coach Matney can give the lumps but can't take them - what would he have to say about a defeated opponent bringing this up?

After reading everyone's posts, I would have to say a poll would show 100% support for French. Does anyone agree with Matney?

I nearly started a poll but I backed out. I wanted to read through some thoughts although I knew that everyone that was at the game, including the Johnson Central fans, know that Boyle County has no intentions on running up the score. Even the fans who weren't at the game get some idea while reading through the article that Boyle County was just running their normal offense. Why hand it off 3 times and punt? It's just a bad situation and if I had started up a poll I'm sure anyone who was in their right mind would have vote No(that they were not running up the score). Now, I look for Boyle County to have a very successful season from here on out. Go Rebels! :thumb: