CovCath Coaching Situation (Who is next?)

Eta Rho

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Dave Weston would be interested in moving to Northern Kentucky...Louisville Holy Cross just dropped him for only being able to win a little over .670 of his games...he would be familiar with the ins- and outs- of being a coach at a Catholic HS...

The Woolf scenario is interesting. He's applied twice, came close, but didn't get it. He may have to hear he's the guy before he applies again. He may not want to ride this ride again.

Third time's the charm? From what I hear he'd be the perfect fit at CovCath.

I updated the list:

Bob Crable

Mike Woolf

Pee Wee Reece

Lynn Ray

Mike Yeagle

Tom Duffy

Tom Grippa

Andrew Coverdale

Jared Lorenzen

Nate Roedig

Barry Jones

Lehman Boyd

Nick Hovan

Ted Edgington

Kevin Siple

Ted Edgington wouldn't be a good candiate. I'm pretty sure he's a detective for the Covington PD. I'm sure he would have his wifey duties since he is married to Alica Webb Edgington. I can't remember what she ran for but I know she won.

This is the main reason why I dont think they will have a good coach right off the bat. Just like the situation with Brossart. Obviously money plays a big role in these coach's decisions, just look at how Rodenburg left. I would imagine teachers at CovCath don't make very much money, so why would a good coach come coach there, when the money and the chance for success arent really there ( compared to the public schools in KY, or bigger schools in Ohio).

Also, regarding Lorenzen, How did his name even come up in this conversation? There is no chance his first coaching job is going to be at Covington Catholic, he is a big time Highlands boy. I would imagine that if he wanted to coach, the birds would be waiting with open arms to give him a spot.

Just to throw some fuel on the fire, and I have no idea if he would or wouldn't, but Lorenzon is also a St. Pius boy. He grew up in a CovCath feeder school, so it's not like he doesn't have some ties.

Also, regarding Lorenzen, How did his name even come up in this conversation? There is no chance his first coaching job is going to be at Covington Catholic, he is a big time Highlands boy. I would imagine that if he wanted to coach, the birds would be waiting with open arms to give him a spot.

It's been said that Lorenzen offered his services and was basically told "Thanks, but no thanks".

I agree since he has no coaching experience, I don't think that CCH will seriously consider him.

Here are my top 5.

Mike Woolf- bleeds covcath blue and has earned his stripes as an assistant.

Kevin Siple- Taking a break but this would be a great opportunity on this side of the river.

Steve Lickert- would be great interview experience but he needs a few more years at Holmes before he is ready for this program. With that said he has a very strong system that seems to show he can turn teams around.

Nate Roedig- another former Colonel who has been coaching a long time and can bring some fire.

Barry Jones- not sure why probably just because he is a homer and they need a homer in that position.

Here are my top 5.

Mike Woolf- Strong possibility.

Kevin Siple- Not happening.

Steve Lickert- not happening

Nate Roedig- Fighter's chance

Barry Jones- doubt it.

One man's thoughts. You've also left off a strong possibility.

With all due respect to all the candidates and potential candidates. If Mike Woolf wants to return as Head Coach, He should get a lot of attention. He is a solid Coach and a solid teacher. He is good with kids. You may not agree with his expertise or his defensive schemes but he gets his players to play hard and work hard. That many times is the missing ingredient. If the players have the talent, he can get it out of them.