What Celebrity's Death really hit home?

MJAlltheWay24

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One that really had a weird impact on me was local (Louisville) radio talk show host Francinne. It happened about 5 years ago I believe. I listened to her just about every day. As I recall she was on the air on Thursday, had a sub on Friday. Over the weekend she very unexpectedly died. I was at a basketball tournament and someone mentioned that she had died. I listened on Monday with the sub host as well as a few of the stations other hosts with their reactions and it was surreal. Terry Meiners was in tears, you could hear the genuine emotion in his voice. It really felt like I had lost someone I knew. Turns out that after her final show she went to the hospital because she had a bad headache, sometime while she was there she had a stroke and died. She was in her early 40s.

Easy for me if we broaden the definition of 'celeb'; Pope John Paul The Great.

The most incredible man of my lifetime.

I was in college. I remember them ringing the bells of the campus chapel as we were watching on TV.

I get more worked up over political/religious figures than anyone else. I remember when Otto Von Habsburg died and I felt like the world really lost someone important.

I remember being upset when Kirby Puckett died. He was my favorite athlete as a kid.

They all hit home to me to some degree — I guess I've gotten sentimental in my aging.

The first one I recall that really caught me off-guard was Thurman Munson. I was as ate-up with baseball as you can possibly imagine a pre-teen boy being, first getting to know Munson through the Reds WS matchup in 76, then I started cheering for him against the hated Dodgers the next two years.

I was riding with my father and his brother to CVG airport for some reason or another, or maybe we were picking up my uncle. Anyway, we had it on WLW and they announced it, said he died in a plane crash, which made us being at the airport right then seem extra-eerie to a young boy just 2 weeks shy of his 9th birthday.

John Lennon's death the next year also shook me up.

Payne Stewart was surreal for me. Not only because I'm an avid PGA fan, but the manner of his death. The fact that military jet pilots flying aside could see the passengers passed out in the private jet, knowing the inevitable was going to happen & nothing could be done about it.

If I recall correctly, it was reported nationally before the jet crashed quite a few minutes later.

John Lennon and Princess Diana because their deaths were accidental or caused by others. Natasha Richardson too. Everytime I see Liam Neeson, I think about her.

Sounds cold, but I don't get too worked up over celebrity deaths caused by an overdose. I feel like they had choice and chose not to be here anymore.

Payne Stewart was surreal for me. Not only because I'm an avid PGA fan, but the manner of his death. The fact that military jet pilots flying aside could see the passengers passed out in the private jet, knowing the inevitable was going to happen & nothing could be done about it.

If I recall correctly, it was reported nationally before the jet crashed quite a few minutes later.

You beat me to it on this one. For some reason, it REALLY bummed me out when Payne Stewart died. The WAY he died was so crazy like you said. They knew he and the others in the plane were dead (for quite some time) before the plane went down - it eventually ran out of gas. They were going to shoot it down if it looked like it might crash into a crowded area - ended up in a farm field.

The other death that hit home with me was Len Bias. I thought he was going to be a Michael Jordan sort of talent and he was going to my favorite team (Celtics). What a total waste of life and talent that he died of a drug overdose so young.

Paul Walker for some reason. Probably because he seemed like a really good person and someone I would be really good friends with. To see the love his friends had for him and how much his death affected them gets to me. Hard to explain.