What Celebrity's Death really hit home?

MJAlltheWay24

Well, I think it's because we want to identify with a certain celebrity, and when they die, we feel like we knew them. Take me! I always knew growing up that I had been stolen at birth and given to a poor family. I always knew that I was, in reality, a princess. That's why Diana's death devestated me. :D

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think it's because we want to identify with a certain celebrity, and when they die, we feel like we knew them. Take me! I always knew growing up that I had been stolen at birth and given to a poor family. I always knew that I was, in reality, a princess. That's why Diana's death devestated me. :D

I have always loved Princess Diana. Remember the night it came across the new's.

The death of a celebrity has never "hit home" with me. Too many others dying in this world to get all bent out of shape over some coddled, over-paid, entertainer's death. Especially the suicides, ODs and other behaviors that cause an early death. I'll save my grief for those I know and love and for the little ones that leave far too early.

I agree with HHSdad.

Really no celebs that have died have made me think long and hard and made me sort of sad. I am shocked, but not saddened or reflectant. If someone I know dies, even if I do not know them well, that does make he think and hits home.

All of the 9/11 vitims

Cawood Ledford

Bill Keightly

Joe Nuxhall

Bear Bryant

Woody Hayes

Ronald Reagan

May they all R.I.P., Mr. Wildcat (Keightly) along with Cawood really affected me and hit home. Being a lifetime U.K fan, those two guys WERE the University of Kentucky.

Nuxhall was another that I had listend to since my youth, Nuxhall and Cawood.....by far the two best broadcasters ever. :thumb:

Bear Bryant........well, nothing more needs to be said other than "simply the best ever" to walk a sideline and coach college football.

Woody Hayes......Being a long time college football and OSU fan I couldn't help but feel a little sad.

Ronald Reagan.....Never mind if one agrees or disagrees with his politics, just a great man and great American.

As for 9/11/01, nothing else needs to be said.......horrrible day in American history.

As for some of the Hollywood type celebs that die of drug overdose, abuse,etc.. I don't mean to sound cruel and I feel sorry about the deaths and sympathy for the families left behind but I have to remember that they were the ones that did that to themselves. No one made them abuse drugs. Those deaths just did not affect me like the ones that I mentioned above and others like them. I just am not a big Hollywood, movie star, music star fan.

Edited by oldrambler

• 6 years later...

I remember the Challenger explosion like it was yesterday. I had grown up watching launches with my dad. He was facinated by the space program and so was I. It hurt to see that.

9/11 was the same way for me. I was home from work recovering from knee surgery. I watched it non stop the entire day. Couldn't take my eyes off of it. My heart was crushed for the people in the towers. I felt violated as an American.

I remember the Challenger explosion like it was yesterday. I had grown up watching launches with my dad. He was facinated by the space program and so was I. It hurt to see that.

9/11 was the same way for me. I was home from work recovering from knee surgery. I watched it non stop the entire day. Couldn't take my eyes off of it. My heart was crushed for the people in the towers. I felt violated as an American.

I've watched that several times on YouTube, I couldn't imagine watching it live.

Not counting politicians as celebrities, although I was old enough for Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King to hit pretty hard; in 3rd grade when JFK was assassinated..

I'll go with John Lennon.