Newport vs. Campbell County Predictions/Updates (KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16®)

(KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16®)  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Newport
    • Campbell County

This poll is closed to new votes

Camels will most definitely will have to play zone. The 2 bigs will be an issue for the Camels. Rebounding will be tough. Camels do play bigger than the lineup says. You won't rattle Campbell Co PG Garyn Jackson, who is a 3 year starter. What scares me the most is Camels best scorer is a 6'3'' post player. He does struggle some vs more athletic and taller kids. Conner Weinel is a strong kid, he can possibly get Starks and Turner in foul trouble. Very good with his back to the basket. Sorgenfrie can get hot, good 3pt shooter, who can also handle the ball. Nate Smith 3 yr starter, as athletic as anyone on the court. Strong kid who guards extremely well and can handle the ball. 5th starter Cole Johnson, plays bigger than his height. Has some hops. Not a bad ball handler. Kid has perfect ACT score and is a National Merit Scholar. 

I don't see the Camels coming out playing scared. They all can handle the ball. They get up early they could slow it down. They are well coached. Comes to x's and o's, advantage Camels. 

Camels have a chance either way if Kinney plays or not. Newport doesn't come out and try to outrun no one, their pace will keep any competitive team in the game.  Newport will be the favorite regardless who suits up. Its March, crazy things happen. 

Camels 52  Newport 48 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8jodem.thumb.jpg.1de4e25f3e61a03a9b8061b08fe24f0b.jpg

Newport Wildcats (32-3, R9 Champion, Media Poll #3) | Campbell County Camels (26-6, R10 Champion)

Noteworthy Results

Newport - Beat Cooper twice, by margins of 6 and 7, including the R9 final | Beat R2 Champion Lyon County by 2 | Beat R6 Champion Evangel Christian by 7 | Beat R8 Champion Spencer County by 13 | Lost to R11 Champion and state #1 Great Crossing by 2 | Lost to R7 Champion Trinity by 5 | Lost to Covington Catholic by 10 

Campbell County - Beat R16 Champion Ashland by 14 | Split the season series with George Rogers Clark 1-1 | Lost to Cooper by 8 | Lost to Covington Catholic by 23 | Lost to North Oldham by 23

Player Spotlight 

Newport - Taylen Kinney (18 ppg/65 3s/83% FTs) | Jabari Covington (12.6 ppg) | Deshaun Jackson (11 ppg/6 rpg/54.5% FGs)

Kinney lights the fuse for the Wildcats, but may be hampered by the lingering effect of a lower body injury suffered in the R9 final. Covington and Jackson stepped up to carry Newport to a region title in his absence, proving they're more than a backup band, they can sing lead.

Campbell County - Connor Weinel (15.7 ppg/10 rpg/57.4% FGs) | Broc Sorgenfrei (12.7 ppg/56 3s) | Garyn Jackson (11.6 ppg/65% FGs)

Weinel logged 26 & 12 in the R10 final. He's working on eleven consecutive games of double digit rebounds, averaging 12.2 over that span. Sorgenfrei and Jackson combined for seven threes and 47 points in the R10 semifinal takedown of GRC. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’d be interested in how the game will be officiated. In the Region 9 championship (the whole tourney actually) I took a pile up for a loose ball to really get the officials to call anything. 

I’ve always wondered why the underdog never just goes at the other teams best defender or offensive threat to get them in quick foul trouble. Maybe a lot easier said than done. I’m excited for this game. I've already said I believe Newport gets to the semis at least. Good luck and safe travels everyone.

42 minutes ago, DevilMayCare said:

Noteworthy Results

Newport - Beat Cooper twice, by margins of 6 and 7, including the R9 final | Beat R2 Champion Lyon County by 2 | Beat R6 Champion Evangel Christian by 7 | Beat R8 Champion Spencer County by 13 | Lost to R11 Champion and state #1 Great Crossing by 2 | Lost to R7 Champion Trinity by 5 | Lost to Covington Catholic by 10 

The only thing more impressive than Newport's scheduling upgrade this season, was their response to it. They faced five eventual region champions, including three in a row during the King of the Bluegrass. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, FatNate said:

Cole Johnson, plays bigger than his height. Has some hops. Not a bad ball handler. Kid has perfect ACT score and is a National Merit Scholar. 

WOW!  Athletic AND a smartie pants!!  Great combo and very impressive!

• Like 1

In a slow down game, I think Newport has the advantage. They have won a lot of lower scoring games against high level opponents. They are extremely well coached by Coach Snapp. I was super impressed with how Newport handled themselves against both Ryle and Cooper in the regional. Especially Cooper adjusting to Kinney being out for the game after 1 minute of play.

Something is telling me this is going to be a closer game than people expect.  Newports schedule has surely been a tough one and they certainly have met the challenge.  However, past records mean nothing come Sweet 16 time because you have to beat who's next.

Campbell has been playing extremely well and sharing the ball effectively and something in my gut is telling me this could go either way.  Garyn Jackson will come up big in this game IMO and he better not be underestimated because he will simply make the Wildcats pay.  The young man just makes plays and his AAU circuit has certainly prepared him for this big stage.

Newport is and should be favored but depth may play a factor if the game is called tight.

I think it's a 2-4 point game either way.

On 3/16/2024 at 12:00 PM, theguru said:

How many times have two teams from the same county played each other in the Sweet 16®?

Besides games that pitted Louisville schools from the 6th and 7th region, I don't think it has ever happened (at least dating to the early 1930s when the state went to sixteen regions). No counties were split prior to Campbell/Brossart/Scott going to the 10th about 20 years ago. There have a been a couple split since then (Jenkins/Letcher) but none have advanced to the state tournament.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Besides games that pitted Louisville schools from the 6th and 7th region, I don't think it has ever happened (at least dating to the early 1930s when the state went to sixteen regions). No counties were split prior to Campbell/Brossart/Scott going to the 10th about 20 years ago. There have a been a couple split since then (Jenkins/Letcher) but none have advanced to the state tournament.

Normally firsts like this are something to remember, this first stinks if you ask me. 

7 minutes ago, theguru said:

Normally firsts like this are something to remember, this first stinks if you ask me. 

Is this because of when the game is being played (Thursday night, last game, during UK game) or because of wanting them in the same region?

Just now, Pi said:

Is this because of when the game is being played (Thursday night, last game, during UK game) or because of wanting them in the same region?

I will watch both this game and the UK game at the same time.  Watching multiple games at the same time is my normally my preferred method when it comes to BGP.  And I suppose I would have to go back and look at it but it does seem like NKY gets a raw deal on playing the late Thursday games at the Sweet 16®, but that is not it either.  There are 120 counties in Kentucky and only 16 regions and two teams from the same county playing in the first round of the Sweet 16® just doesn't sit right with me.  But, like a lot of things, it is what it is. 

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I will watch both this game and the UK game at the same time.  Watching multiple games at the same time is my normally my preferred method when it comes to BGP.  And I suppose I would have to go back and look at it but it does seem like NKY gets a raw deal on playing the late Thursday games at the Sweet 16®, but that is not it either.  There are 120 counties in Kentucky and only 16 regions and two teams from the same county playing in the first round of the Sweet 16® just doesn't sit right with me.  But, like a lot of things, it is what it is. 

The whole format of the tournament stinks. I hate the double header and the way one team gets screwed on short rest for the Championship. Not to mention the blind draw and the fact that the best 16 teams don't make the tournament because of the district/region set up.