Newport vs. Campbell County Predictions/Updates (KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16®)

(KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16®)  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Newport
    • Campbell County

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, rjs4470 said:

The whole format of the tournament stinks. I hate the double header and the way one team gets screwed on short rest for the Championship. Not to mention the blind draw and the fact that the best 16 teams don't make the tournament because of the district/region set up.

I used to think it was great but the older and more experienced I get, the less I like it.  

I think a Calpreps determined Top 32 or Top 64 would be great. 

It’s not perfect.  I agree.  Be careful what you ask for though.  The state tournament could quickly turn into the Lexington/Louisville/NKY invitational.  

2 minutes ago, FatNate said:

It’s not perfect.  I agree.  Be careful what you ask for though.  The state tournament could quickly turn into the Lexington/Louisville/NKY invitational.  

If that is where the top teams all reside, so be it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theguru said:

I am not sure the best teams always make the playoffs at the pro level.  Tampa made the playoffs at 9-8 this year.  Same record as Seattle who didn’t make the playoffs.  I am not sure of the 50 tie breakers for the NFL playoffs.  Tampa was in for winning a crap division. Seattle was out due to a tougher division.  We know the criteria for NCAA tournaments across several sports is determined by the ‘committee.’  I don’t love the sweet sixteen bracketing.  I would like to see it split up over two weeks.  Or moving to Monday/Tuesday opening rounds and Thursday/Friday/Saturday to finish it.  But, in general spreading out the representation across the state is better for the sport, in my opinion.  Sorry for high jacking the thread. 

7 minutes ago, FatNate said:

I am not sure the best teams always make the playoffs at the pro level.  Tampa made the playoffs at 9-8 this year.  Same record as Seattle who didn’t make the playoffs.  I am not sure of the 50 tie breakers for the NFL playoffs.  Tampa was in for winning a crap division. Seattle was out due to a tougher division.  We know the criteria for NCAA tournaments across several sports is determined by the ‘committee.’  I don’t love the sweet sixteen bracketing.  I would like to see it split up over two weeks.  Or moving to Monday/Tuesday opening rounds and Thursday/Friday/Saturday to finish it.  But, in general spreading out the representation across the state is better for the sport, in my opinion.  Sorry for high jacking the thread. 

I think 14 teams make the playoffs now in the NFL.  It is hard to quibble with 6 and 7 seeds.  And how many teams get in the NCAA now, 70 something, lol.  In other words, no team of any consequence is getting left out in either of those sports. 

Moving forward, maybe the 16 regional champs and then 16 at large bids based on Calpreps or Massey or something that is accurate.  

Good thing the games start tomorrow. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theguru said:

It wouldn't be good for the state put it that way. If you did a top 20 schools statewide, excluding regional champions that are you first 16. How many regions would only have the regional champ competing?

33 minutes ago, GoBucks97 said:

It wouldn't be good for the state put it that way. If you did a top 20 schools statewide, excluding regional champions that are you first 16. How many regions would only have the regional champ competing?

Probably the majority of the regions. 

4 hours ago, theguru said:

I used to think it was great but the older and more experienced I get, the less I like it.  

I think a Calpreps determined Top 32 or Top 64 would be great. 

How do you feel about classifying basketball? Six classes (ridiculous in KY) like football. Can't believe a parent has not filed a lawsuit because their child has not had an equal opportunity like other classified sports.

9 hours ago, RedHawk said:

WOW!  Athletic AND a smartie pants!!  Great combo and very impressive!

His dad was a fine basketball player at Campbell and a terrific baseball player. Good college player at NKU. Believe they were in DII college world series.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 9068 said:

How do you feel about classifying basketball? Six classes (ridiculous in KY) like football. Can't believe a parent has not filed a lawsuit because their child has not had an equal opportunity like other classified sports.

I feel like it is all a topic for another thread. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, theguru said:

And I suppose I would have to go back and look at it but it does seem like NKY gets a raw deal on playing the late Thursday games at the Sweet 16®...

When the KHSAA went to the adjusted times for first round games, they chose to place teams from the 8th, 10th, 11th, and 12th in prime time spots because of their location in comparison to Lexington - you'll get a nice crowd. The 10th is an oddity however: that makes perfect sense if it is Clark County or Montgomery County or Mason County, which are all relatively close to Rupp Arena. It does stink when the 10th region champion comes from northern Kentucky like Campbell County this season.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 9068 said:

Several other HS sports in the Commonwealth aren’t classified.  But like the big guy said, that’s for another thread. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 12:00 PM, theguru said:

How many times have two teams from the same county played each other in the Sweet 16®?

If I'm reading the KHSAA Basketball Record Book correctly, under the current Sweet 16® setup, this will be the 11th time. This will be the first non Jefferson County matchup. 

📖 Previously ~ 

• 1970 Semifinal - Male 58 PRP 52

• 1973 Final - Shawnee 81 Male 68 

• 1974 Final - Central 59 Male 54 

• 1977 Final - Ballard 68 Valley 59 

• 1981 Round 1 - Moore 72 Butler 63

• 1989 Round 1 - PRP 78 Jeffersontown 74 

• 1990 Round 1 - Fairdale 80 Male 64 

• 2005 Quarterfinal - PRP 64 Ballard 62 

• 2009 Quarterfinal - Central 71 Eastern 65 

• 2017 Quarterfinal - Fern Creek 55 Ballard 52 

This year ~

• 2024 Round 1 - Newport vs. Campbell County.

✔️ A previous all Campbell County game could have happened in a 2001 Semifinal.

• Both teams lost in Round 1 ~

Russellville 59 Highlands 45

South Laurel 64 Campbell County 63

🔗 khsaa.org/basketball 

🤔 Under a different tournament format and draw, only two other counties could have had teams play each other ~ 

• 1927 Ballard County - La Center and Wickliffe. 

• 1928 Henderson County - Henderson Barrett and Corydon. 

🦉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Runcible Owl said:

If I'm reading the KHSAA Basketball Record Book correctly, under the current Sweet 16® setup, this will be the 11th time. This will be the first non Jefferson County matchup. 

📖 Previously ~ 

• 1970 Semifinal - Male 58 PRP 52

• 1973 Final - Shawnee 81 Male 68 

• 1974 Final - Central 59 Male 54 

• 1977 Final - Ballard 68 Valley 59 

• 1981 Round 1 - Moore 72 Butler 63

• 1989 Round 1 - PRP 78 Jeffersontown 74 

• 1990 Round 1 - Fairdale 80 Male 64 

• 2005 Quarterfinal - PRP 64 Ballard 62 

• 2009 Quarterfinal - Central 71 Eastern 65 

• 2017 Quarterfinal - Fern Creek 55 Ballard 52 

This year ~

• 2024 Round 1 - Newport vs. Campbell County.

✔️ A previous all Campbell County game could have happened in a 2001 Semifinal.

• Both teams lost in Round 1 ~

Russellville 59 Highlands 45

South Laurel 64 Campbell County 63

🔗 khsaa.org/basketball 

🤔 Under a different tournament format and draw, only two other counties could have had teams play each other ~ 

• 1927 Ballard County - La Center and Wickliffe. 

• 1928 Henderson County - Henderson Barrett and Corydon. 

🦉

That ‘28 Corydon team was pretty good.   I remember them well. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1