Newport vs. Campbell County Predictions/Updates (KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16®)

(KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16®)  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Newport
    • Campbell County

This poll is closed to new votes

On 3/19/2024 at 5:47 PM, theguru said:

Probably the majority of the regions. 

One option would be to allow the regional winner and runner-up to attend the tournament.  That would increase the field to 32 teams with a draw format.  No way that anyone should want to have the format set up like the current football playoffs.  There are too many classes in football and should only be the top teams in their districts with the possibility of a wild card for a few teams. 

9 minutes ago, KillerCats09 said:

One option would be to allow the regional winner and runner-up to attend the tournament.  That would increase the field to 32 teams with a draw format.  No way that anyone should want to have the format set up like the current football playoffs.  There are too many classes in football and should only be the top teams in their districts with the possibility of a wild card for a few teams. 

This seems crazy too. It blows my mind every year in KY that teams lose in the postseason (districts) and advance. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcpapa said:

That ‘28 Corydon team was pretty good.   I remember them well. 

Announcer: Hear's an actual photo of "Ole Peach Basket" McPapa with ... hold on ... *touches earpiece* ... being told by our producer this is McPapa contemporary Dr. James Naismith ...

Dr._James_Naismith.jpg

• Haha 4

On 3/16/2024 at 12:00 PM, theguru said:

How many times have two teams from the same county played each other in the Sweet 16®?

Unless it’s the two Jefferson County regions that are from the most populous metropolitan area in Kentucky (stretching into surrounding counties) it is ludricrous to have teams in the same county in different regions, in my opinion. The KHSAA has some odd alignments around the state. Another that stands out to me is North and South Laurel were put in separate districts in the 13th region. Those two schools aren’t but about 3 miles apart. 

The bottom line is the lines have to be drawn somewhere. I know we have a lot of 8th, 9th, and 10th region traditionalist out there. Sometimes this stuff happens, but the 9th region isn't going to have 24-25 teams in it. 

37 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

Announcer: Hear's an actual photo of "Ole Peach Basket" McPapa with ... hold on ... *touches earpiece* ... being told by our producer this is McPapa contemporary Dr. James Naismith ...

Dr._James_Naismith.jpg

Don’t you have somewhere else to be?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Professor said:

Unless it’s the two Jefferson County regions that are from the most populous metropolitan area in Kentucky (stretching into surrounding counties) it is ludricrous to have teams in the same county in different regions, in my opinion. The KHSAA has some odd alignments around the state. Another that stands out to me is North and South Laurel were put in separate districts in the 13th region. Those two schools aren’t but about 3 miles apart. 

Kenton county has schools in three different regions. I get the sentiment, but the 9th would be just too big if you included all the Boone, Kenton, and Campbell county schools in just one region. It's just another reason why the state needs to re-consider the current district-region set up.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, allsport71 said:

Three schools in Kenton County, three different regions.

1 minute ago, rjs4470 said:

The three Kenton county schools are in three different regions--Dixie (9th), Scott (10th) and SK (8th).

I suppose it is more opportunity for the NKY schools.

I am rooting for Campbell County in this game and I dislike that I have to choose. 

12 minutes ago, theguru said:

I suppose it is more opportunity for the NKY schools.

I am rooting for Campbell County in this game and I dislike that I have to choose. 

I'm rooting for the winner. I have to stick to my 9th region roots.

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

Kenton county has schools in three different regions. I get the sentiment, but the 9th would be just too big if you included all the Boone, Kenton, and Campbell county schools in just one region. It's just another reason why the state needs to re-consider the current district-region set up.

I agree. Northern Kentucky has grown in population like crazy over the past few decades. I have quite a few Appalachia relatives that moved up there for jobs  over the past 50 years. 

2 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I wished this game was the 6:00pm game, so it would have been over by the time the Cats game got started. 

I wish the Cats played later and there was no conflict.