Newport vs. Campbell County Predictions/Updates (KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16®)

(KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16®)  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Newport
    • Campbell County

This poll is closed to new votes

Newport 56

CC 43

If Campbell plays zone it will be a low scoring game with Newport winning. 

If Campbell plays man or anything else Newport wins by more than 10 points. 

I do not see a scenario where Campbell wins 

If Campbell comes out in zone and Newport can't make an outside shot (see the CovCath game) who says Campbell County can't win? Ryle almost pulled it off in the first round if the regional. It's not a knock on any team just a question/discussion about strategy.

Newport is playing with extreme confidence and swagger right now. I have them getting to the semi finals at least but we all know how tournaments go. Good luck to both teams.

13 minutes ago, theguru said:

How many times have two teams from the same county played each other in the Sweet 16®?

Don't know for sure but I would think that teams form Jefferson (6th and 7th) have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, theguru said:

How many times have two teams from the same county played each other in the Sweet 16®?

See first post in "Louisville Central" thread for one instance.

2 minutes ago, tcjkbt said:

Don't know for sure but I would think that teams form Jefferson (6th and 7th) have.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Breds82 said:

If Campbell comes out in zone and Newport can't make an outside shot (see the CovCath game) who says Campbell County can't win? Ryle almost pulled it off in the first round if the regional. It's not a knock on any team just a question/discussion about strategy.

Newport is playing with extreme confidence and swagger right now. I have them getting to the semi finals at least but we all know how tournaments go. Good luck to both teams.

I would definitely play zone against Newport with Kinney out. He is their best outside shooter. The key is getting the lead and playing zone. Newport will be patient and work the zone for good shots, but that is much easier to do with the lead.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I would definitely play zone against Newport with Kinney out. He is their best outside shooter. The key is getting the lead and playing zone. Newport will be patient and work the zone for good shots, but that is much easier to do with the lead.

Don't think anybody has said Kinney is out. Latest I heard they expected him back for the tournament, hobbled I'm sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, theguru said:

Unsure on this one but we were 1 point away from Scott and Cooper playing for the championship in 2017. That would have been special.

This Campbell - Newport game is 50/50 IMO.  There are not too many teams that are as hot as Campbell going into the tournament.  They are sharing the ball extremely well and they are not caring about who the leading scorer is.  I really like Garyn Jackson as someone who will play a "significant" role in this game.  They young man just plays non-stop the entire game and simply makes plays.

If Newport plays the way they have played mid-late season, they could come away with the win. Who knows what Kinney will bring to the table as, rightly so, Newport is keeping that close to the vest. If they can't score, as normal, against the zone and they shoot like they did against Ryle, they could very well lose.

Glad to see at least one of them will be representing NKY in the quarter finals. Good luck to both squads.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can listen to any Newport Wildcat game at Rupp on (859) Sports Radio.  Could be interesting matchup if Newport wins a couple of games and gets a rematch with Trinity, which is Newport's last loss 76-71 before Santa came down the chimney.  I keep thinking about 2019, our first week on the air when Walton-Verona picked us to be their radio and the Bearcats were upset by Campbell County who went on to almost pull out the upset over Trinity in the Semi's as the Camels missed a shot at the buzzer to win,  Trinity went on to beat Scott County for the Sweet 16 championship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would think Kinney's effectiveness would be hampered if it was truly a hamstring injury. They usually heal slowly even with great PT. I remember posting early in the year that I hoped they all stayed healthy. Kids now play so much with HS, AAU, summer ball, etc. that they get really dinged up. Good luck young man. This will be a good game.