Kentucky pulls scholarship from Franklin County's Kaden Moorman

3 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Don't leave us hanging. What is the rest of the story?

Haha.  Full academic scholarship to a large state school and having the time of his life dominating the intramural leagues in multiple sports. 

• Like 5

On 10/21/2022 at 3:23 PM, Statsdontlie said:

They pulled his offer just like they did Longmire from Corbin last year. I don't think he will be the last recruit in the class of 23 to decommit from Kentucky. The Transfer Portal is hurting a lot of kids. 

Yes the portal is hurting high school recruiting in different ways. Besides the kids who get their offer pulled, the kids who were recruited and have been at a school for a few years, only to see the coach keep going to the portal for their position. See WKU QB position. Coach always brings in a QB or two because he likes experience. Recruited kids never see the field as a starter. Been that way as long as he’s been there.
I believe Veltcamp will need to transfer if he ever wants to be a starter. Just the way it is these days at some schools.

1 hour ago, FootballBobcat said:

Yes the portal is hurting high school recruiting in different ways. Besides the kids who get their offer pulled, the kids who were recruited and have been at a school for a few years, only to see the coach keep going to the portal for their position. See WKU QB position. Coach always brings in a QB or two because he likes experience. Recruited kids never see the field as a starter. Been that way as long as he’s been there.
I believe Veltcamp will need to transfer if he ever wants to be a starter. Just the way it is these days at some schools.

College coaches recruiting over kids has been going on forever. Coaches want to win, and will always try to get the best player possible. There's no such thing as paying your dues, or your time will come at the college level. If a coach can get a better player than you, he will. The portal has only made that easier.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

College coaches recruiting over kids has been going on forever. Coaches want to win, and will always try to get the best player possible. There's no such thing as paying your dues, or your time will come at the college level. If a coach can get a better player than you, he will. The portal has only made that easier.

No doubt that if they can get someone better they will. But how many coaches complain that players aren’t staying all 4-5 years. The coaches are the ones talking about paying dues. Developing senior leadership and cohesion. Knowing the system and how things are done. (enough cliches!!) But what’s the culture within their program. Can be very different depending on the school. 
The rules have changed. Players no longer sit out a year after transferring. The portal makes it super easy to look at players tape if they want experience. And the player could get to practice and play right away depending on timing. Coaches could also get a guy they recruited who’s not happy sitting on the bench somewhere else.
Makes it tougher on the player who has been practicing, working their way up the depth chart only to be pushed aside for a player with “experience “. If you never see the field for quality minutes you don’t have experience.  That was my point about WKU QB position. There are other examples. 
My main point is it’s just tougher for the high school recruits these days. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 9:52 AM, Country said:

I think that in this case UK probably did Kaden a favor in withdrawing the scholarship offer. I think it became evident that he had not progressed as most everyone expected thru his senior year. UK didn't feel that he would play in their system especially speed wise and gave him a chance to move on to play for a school that he would be better suited for. No doubt he was a very good high school player, but not great like everyone expected him to be. People in middle school were saying he was going to be another Herschel Walker. Of course we know that didn't happen. Hope for the best for the young man and that he goes to a school where he can play right away.

No Kaden got hurt and missed time  and didn’t have same impact because he was hurt when he did play. What UK did was foul, wasn’t interested in the kid until Wisconsin offered him fully and then UK jumped in making promises and got him shut his recruitment down his junior year. Should never get kids to commit to your school as juniors if theres a possibility you’re going pull there scholarship a year later you’re playing with kids futures. Kaden even went all out and try help recruit guys. I'm a UK fan and hope he gets an opportunity to show out against UK. They did him wrong point blank period. 

• Like 2

I hadn't seen this thread, and it's interesting to me how the tone changed.  in the beginning, when folks were assuming he simply decommitted to better think through his options, that was met with favor.  but when the story changed and people realized Kentucky pulled his offer, that was met (at least most of the time) with scorn.  

19 hours ago, DearToday said:

College football is a business. If teams don't produce guys get fired. Teams have to do whats best for them. 

I agree to a point.  You can't continually screw over HS kids 25 minutes from your campus either.  If UK offered and pressured because Wisconsin came to their door steps...then they (UK) maybe should have lived with their decision.  At least for a year.

21 minutes ago, okie1 said:

I agree to a point.  You can't continually screw over HS kids 25 minutes from your campus either.  If UK offered and pressured because Wisconsin came to their door steps...then they (UK) maybe should have lived with their decision.  At least for a year.

I firmly disagree.

How many times do we see kids decommit?

This is a two way street and at the end of the day BOTH parties (school and player) need to do what’s best for them.

Good Luck to the young man.

• Like 4

We can't have it both ways... We can't allow the athletes to pick any school they want, commit, then decommit and pat them on the back for doing what's best for them and criticize schools when they pull a scholarship because an athlete regressed or they simply found a better option. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, okie1 said:

Schools don’t owe any favors to local guys. Big time college sports is a big business that operates on a national level. You bring in guys that you think can help you win. If a local guy fits the bill, great. If not, look elsewhere. Bringing in a local guys that can’t help you gets you fired. Coaches should focus on getting the best players regardless of where they are from. Passing on a local guy isn’t going to hurt the program or the school, and having a winning program does more for enrollment and reputation than doing a favor to a borderline local kid.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Schools don’t owe any favors to local guys. Big time college sports is a big business that operates on a national level. You bring in guys that you think can help you win. If a local guy fits the bill, great. If not, look elsewhere. Bringing in a local guys that can’t help you gets you fired. Coaches should focus on getting the best players regardless of where they are from. Passing on a local guy isn’t going to hurt the program or the school, and having a winning program does more for enrollment and reputation than doing a favor to a borderline local kid.

Completely agree. People get too caught up in local schools offering local kids. We've all seen when there is a local kid that warrants the attention, they get it. 

What about all these kids that think they’re wanted by a school, enroll, show up at the first day of football practice, and find out there’s 35 other freshmen wr’s? The path to ever getting on the field for most of them isn’t ever happening. Especially at the small schools. Most of the small schools will take anyone. You don’t necessarily have to be good. 

“How was the first day of practice son?” 

“Well, during warmups, I got 2 reps on the out pattern, but then I was still 18th in line when it ended.” 

On 3/14/2023 at 3:21 PM, theguru said:

I also think the majority of kids would be better served by not revealing anything less than a full scholarship offer. 

In the past I would have agreed with this but now recruiting is so much about self-promotion. Colleges are looking at kids on twitter to see who they are being offered by and if someone in their conference offers a kid then they are more likely to go check him out and then offer him. The more kids can say they have been offered, the larger their chance for drawing more attention...

I think there are some high school coaches who know this as well and have a good network with college coaches, and they ask the colleges to "fake offer" kids (purely to help a kid's recruiting with another school). In return they will keep pushing their best athletes toward that college in the future. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.