Kentucky pulls scholarship from Franklin County's Kaden Moorman

3 hours ago, Statsdontlie said:

EKU has offered half of Kentucky. Most kids with those offers end up playing NAIA, which is nothing wrong with that. 

And a good number of those kids that end up going NAIA (or D3) quickly realize that offer to play didn’t mean very much either, and are done playing football when they realize being a really good high school player isn’t enough to get you on the field. It’s incredibly hard to play any college sport, and many of these athletic “offers” are really just enrollment drivers for these lower level schools.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Statsdontlie said:

EKU has offered half of Kentucky. Most kids with those offers end up playing NAIA, which is nothing wrong with that. 

And they will nuke not burn bridges that way. Eku went from hardly recruiting the state to offering everyone.  

22 minutes ago, Down4theblue said:

And they will nuke not burn bridges that way. Eku went from hardly recruiting the state to offering everyone.  

Not really, HS coaches are using college offers (whether they are committable or not) to "promote" their programs in hopes of persuading future HS athletes to their programs now.  It's all a big game, using kids and players as pawns. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, okie1 said:

Not really, HS coaches are using college offers (whether they are committable or not) to "promote" their programs in hopes of persuading future HS athletes to their programs now.  It's all a big game, using kids and players as pawns. 

Exactly. Small schools have been doing this sort of thing forever, and they still get tons of kids who have no prayer of being able to play to sign up and give it shot. Even on this forum, there is a whole lot of talk about about who’s getting offers and and going where, and how that school is getting a great kid. What isn’t talked about is how many of those offers actually turn into 4 year college careers and actual playing time. The reality is there are way more offers than actual true opportunities to play, and many of these kids wake up to find out they are in a hopeless situation and will never see the field. Schools have been doing this for years, and they still have no problem getting kids and parents to buy in.

4 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Exactly. Small schools have been doing this sort of thing forever, and they still get tons of kids who have no prayer of being able to play to sign up and give it shot. Even on this forum, there is a whole lot of talk about about who’s getting offers and and going where, and how that school is getting a great kid. What isn’t talked about is how many of those offers actually turn into 4 year college careers and actual playing time. The reality is there are way more offers than actual true opportunities to play, and many of these kids wake up to find out they are in a hopeless situation and will never see the field. Schools have been doing this for years, and they still have no problem getting kids and parents to buy in.

The fact is, there is attrition at every level of football (sports).  Some kids play little league but don't move on to middle school, or quit then.  Some are solid middle school players but quit or stop playing because of the time commitments in HS.  There are some pro's every year that decide to hang it up, who are getting paid a lot of money to play.

I would rather a player give it a shot if given the opportunity at any level of college (if that's a goal) than to live with the regret of not trying.  

Yes lots of small schools use sports as enrollment drivers, but a lot of times those schools give competitive financial packages to student athletes that help some students afford a college education.

• Like 1

Any player today who commits early and stops listening to other offers is making a mistake. This is a two lane road. If a coach asks for a hard commitment, the player should demand the same. If the coach pulls an offer after a true commitment, it would become my mission to hold him accountable. I would look at players that coach is pursuing and reach out to them to let them know the coach they are talking to can't be trusted.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, okie1 said:

The fact is, there is attrition at every level of football (sports).  Some kids play little league but don't move on to middle school, or quit then.  Some are solid middle school players but quit or stop playing because of the time commitments in HS.  There are some pro's every year that decide to hang it up, who are getting paid a lot of money to play.

I would rather a player give it a shot if given the opportunity at any level of college (if that's a goal) than to live with the regret of not trying.  

Yes lots of small schools use sports as enrollment drivers, but a lot of times those schools give competitive financial packages to student athletes that help some students afford a college education.

I don’t disagree with anything you said here. My point is and the point I think being made here, is that parents and players need to be realistic when considering these offers, and that they often aren’t as good as they sound. If it works out great. But when considering offers, you need to make sure all the other pieces fit, as there is a good chance that football won’t be a part of the college experience, and that you really need to do your homework and be aware of what these offers are actually offering.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

I don’t disagree with anything you said here. My point is and the point I think being made here, is that parents and players need to be realistic when considering these offers, and that they often aren’t as good as they sound. If it works out great. But when considering offers, you need to make sure all the other pieces fit, as there is a good chance that football won’t be a part of the college experience, and that you really need to do your homework and be aware of what these offers are actually offering.

I agree with this as well.  College recruiting is tough to get right for both colleges and families.  There are a lot of folks who miss the boat on this. 

So you guys want to bash EKU for not recruiting the state, and now you want to bash them for over recruiting the state, sounds like you just like to complain. If a kid gets an offer and does not take it what is bad about that? If a kid does take an offer and they are not happy you can stop playing or transfer, its not like this is a hostage situation. 

On 3/15/2023 at 9:51 AM, rjs4470 said:

100% agree.  We went through this with my son.  His dream was to play (another sport) in college.  Injuries happened but he still got an “offer” from a smaller school.  Well they had an unrealistic amount of kids already at that position and like most small schools half  the kids has no real expectation of ever getting playing time. “Increasing enrollment through athletics” is what one AD told me.  We had a discussion with my son “if you don’t play or decide to give up sports is this the college you want to be at.  If the answer is no, move on to another school that is a better academic fit”.  

• Like 1

I think that in this case UK probably did Kaden a favor in withdrawing the scholarship offer. I think it became evident that he had not progressed as most everyone expected thru his senior year. UK didn't feel that he would play in their system especially speed wise and gave him a chance to move on to play for a school that he would be better suited for. No doubt he was a very good high school player, but not great like everyone expected him to be. People in middle school were saying he was going to be another Herschel Walker. Of course we know that didn't happen. Hope for the best for the young man and that he goes to a school where he can play right away.

On 3/17/2023 at 9:34 AM, rjal said:

100% agree.  We went through this with my son.  His dream was to play (another sport) in college.  Injuries happened but he still got an “offer” from a smaller school.  Well they had an unrealistic amount of kids already at that position and like most small schools half  the kids has no real expectation of ever getting playing time. “Increasing enrollment through athletics” is what one AD told me.  We had a discussion with my son “if you don’t play or decide to give up sports is this the college you want to be at.  If the answer is no, move on to another school that is a better academic fit”.  

Don't leave us hanging. What is the rest of the story?

4 hours ago, Country said:

I think that in this case UK probably did Kaden a favor in withdrawing the scholarship offer. I think it became evident that he had not progressed as most everyone expected thru his senior year. UK didn't feel that he would play in their system especially speed wise and gave him a chance to move on to play for a school that he would be better suited for. No doubt he was a very good high school player, but not great like everyone expected him to be. People in middle school were saying he was going to be another Herschel Walker. Of course we know that didn't happen. Hope for the best for the young man and that he goes to a school where he can play right away.

FYI - posted earlier in the thread that Moorman is going to UL as PWO.