Open Job: Garrard County

Statsdontlie

3 minutes ago, CentralSports said:

It’s not about learning from other “coaches” it’s “your” style of play mentality. Perry ran the same offense as he did in the 90s at Garrard. Why didn’t he open it up some like they did at Danville while he was there? You have to adjust to the athletes you have on the field regardless of how you coached in the past or who you coached under. Look what Brett Baierlein did with this offense when he stepped in for Jerry Perry this year. Prime example of using your athletes the best way possible. 

I agree with that 1000% the part I disagree with is the fact that Hester and Perry are the same in that aspect because they aren't.

Jeff Hester would be a home run hire for the Golden Lions. What people don't understand is that winning ball games is about 10% schemes and 90% what type of culture you have. The problem at Garrard is not what type of offense they run or the style of defense they play. It is systemic. It is the culture of the program. Top to bottom. They need to hire someone that is going to completely change the culture of the program more than they need someone to run a spread offense. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, RunninReb said:

Jeff Hester would be a home run hire for the Golden Lions. What people don't understand is that winning ball games is about 10% schemes and 90% what type of culture you have. The problem at Garrard is not what type of offense they run or the style of defense they play. It is systemic. It is the culture of the program. Top to bottom. They need to hire someone that is going to completely change the culture of the program more than they need someone to run a spread offense. 

👏 👏👏👏👏👏well said!!! 

1 hour ago, RunninReb said:

Wait......you don't have to run the spread offense to win games now????

• Like 5

Before letting Jerry go someone had mentioned that Garrard had 7 or 8 football coaches middle through high school that were parents and the basketball programs have 5 parent coaches. Doesn't that seem like a lot of parent influence in both programs?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RimRacker said:

Before letting Jerry go someone had mentioned that Garrard had 7 or 8 football coaches middle through high school that were parents and the basketball programs have 5 parent coaches. Doesn't that seem like a lot of parent influence in both programs?

I think your right, haven’t ever sat down and actually thought about it, but I think that’s about right. 

5 hours ago, Seybold24 said:

Okay, so who’s the home run here? With the folks listed who in everybody’s mind is the home run? Mine is Clay Clevenger, even if he isn’t interested or doesn’t apply I’m saying hypothetically, in everyone’s mind who is the home run in your eyes? I would love to see everyone’s opinion on this. 

My two home runs for this program would be Steve Stonebraker or Mark Scenters which both have been there and both have won. 

The dark horse for me would be Tyler Ray. Current defensive backs and wide receiver coach at Boyle County and a Garrard County graduate. He’s young and has a very bright future ahead of him. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CentralSports said:

My two home runs for this program would be Steve Stonebraker or Mark Scenters which both have been there and both have won. 

The dark horse for me would be Tyler Ray. Current defensive backs and wide receiver coach at Boyle County and a Garrard County graduate. He’s young and has a very bright future ahead of him. 

Tyler Ray probably wouldn't come to Garrard County, he thinks he played and went to school at Boyle. Garrard is not good enough for him. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Statsdontlie said:

Tyler Ray probably wouldn't come to Garrard County, he thinks he played and went to school at Boyle. Garrard is not good enough for him. 

Well I don't blame him for being a part of Boyle community and wanting to be part of a successful program. I am not sure how you can blame him. Maybe if the Garrard County administration cared about the success of its athletic programs maybe you could get some more coaches that aren't parents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RunninReb said:

Well I don't blame him for being a part of Boyle community and wanting to be part of a successful program. I am not sure how you can blame him. Maybe if the Garrard County administration cared about the success of its athletic programs maybe you could get some more coaches that aren't parents. 

There are very few high school administrators that actually care about sports programs.  The schools that do have administrators who are supportive are usually the same schools that are playing on Thanksgiving and in December.  Those jobs also don't come open very often because they don't allow the parents to run the show and they give their coaches what they need in order to be successful.  There is nothing wrong with having some parents involved in coaching but they cannot make up a majority of a staff.  At the end of the day the people working in the building chose to this as a career and are always more invested in the overall success of the program and not just the success of their kid.

13 minutes ago, zoneblitz24 said:

There are very few high school administrators that actually care about sports programs.  The schools that do have administrators who are supportive are usually the same schools that are playing on Thanksgiving and in December.  Those jobs also don't come open very often because they don't allow the parents to run the show and they give their coaches what they need in order to be successful.  There is nothing wrong with having some parents involved in coaching but they cannot make up a majority of a staff.  At the end of the day the people working in the building chose to this as a career and are always more invested in the overall success of the program and not just the success of their kid.

How many parents were on the staff this year for the football team? I know of one and he’s been with the program all the way through middle school. 

Jeff Hester would be a home run, I'm sure he's not interested though. 

Another Garrard guy that isn't currently coaching is John Hodge, who did well at Bourbon. Don't know if he'd be interested or not, but he's had some success too. Haven't heard his name, just saying if they were going that direction that would be a possibility. 

I agree with previous, though, they have to get this one right.

Boyle should thank their lucky stars for some of the Garrard athletes they've gotten the last 10 years. Garrard administration can halt those decisions by making the right one with this hire.

• Like 1