Open Job: Garrard County

Statsdontlie

1 hour ago, Seybold24 said:

Word hits my ear, nobody wants the job lol. 🤔🧐

I filled out a reference form on an awful good candidate today. He is the only one I know for sure who is applying. But, exceptional candidate who would do very well. The Golden Lions are going to get them a good football coach. 

I know some coaches are hesitant to apply out of loyalty to Coach Jerry Perry. Understandably so. My Dad showed me how you navigate that. When Boyle forced him to resign, his freshman coach, Ed Rall, replaced him. Coach Rall had a great career at Boyle. If my Dad was mad at him, I sure never saw any indication of that. He always was very proud of Ed Rall, and proud to say he hired him as an assistant.  Coach Rall was awful good to me when I played at Mercer. I couldn't be mad at him if I wanted to do so. Just a wonderful coach and man.  

Going back to the days of Wilbur Dunn and Sammy Burke, love Garrard County football. Certainly wish their kids and the program the very best. 

* A little side note.... my Dad's first hire at Mercer.... a guy named Larry French, summer of 1974.  You probably have heard of him.  🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

I filled out a reference form on an awful good candidate today. He is the only one I know for sure who is applying. But, exceptional candidate who would do very well. The Golden Lions are going to get them a good football coach. 

I know some coaches are hesitant to apply out of loyalty to Coach Jerry Perry. Understandably so. My Dad showed me how you navigate that. When Boyle forced him to resign, his freshman coach, Ed Rall, replaced him. Coach Rall had a great career at Boyle. If my Dad was mad at him, I sure never saw any indication of that. He always was very proud of Ed Rall, and proud to say he hired him as an assistant.  Coach Rall was awful good to me when I played at Mercer. I couldn't be mad at him if I wanted to do so. Just a wonderful coach and man.  

Going back to the days of Wilbur Dunn and Sammy Burke, love Garrard County football. Certainly wish their kids and the program the very best. 

* A little side note.... my Dad's first hire at Mercer.... a guy named Larry French, summer of 1974.  You probably have heard of him.  🙂

Did you just give a little under the table hint there at the end 🧐 that’s great news either way, happy for GC

15 minutes ago, RimRacker said:

If that’s a hint about that Coach Garrard just hit a grand slam 💯

Would be HUGE, that man has turned around so many programs, imagine what he can do with the talent that is already there 😳 happy for GC if that’s a hint. 

23 minutes ago, Seybold24 said:

Would be HUGE, that man has turned around so many programs, imagine what he can do with the talent that is already there 😳 happy for GC if that’s a hint. 

Guys- I am so sorry... Coach French is not pursuing the Garrard County job. My point was that my Dad recognized good young talented coaches.... Ed Rall and Larry French.

The good news.... you have at least one really strong candidate that has applied. Good days ahead for the Golden Lions!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Few finer men than Ed Rall. Just a wonderful human being. Oddly enough, Ed ended up teaching a few years at Garrard to get his retirement, coached baseball for one year, and worked as assistant athletic director for several years even after retiring. Love that guy!

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Guys- I am so sorry... Coach French is not pursuing the Garrard County job. My point was that my Dad recognized good young talented coaches.... Ed Rall and Larry French.

The good news.... you have at least one really strong candidate that has applied. Good days ahead for the Golden Lions!

All good, this job opening has become so quiet that everybody is reading between the lines, hope it’s a home run hire! GC needs someone young to be honest to stick around and stay. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 10:45 PM, RimRacker said:

Magic 8 ball says it has to be someone Quisenberry approves.

Untrue, and that family is not that way. We should leave that family and this kid out of the forum, unless we're praising him for his on the field play. The coach that is hired will be a good one, this will be an attractive job because of the young talent there now and also at the middle school/elementary level and location. IMO. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Seybold24 said:

Did you just give a little under the table hint there at the end 🧐 that’s great news either way, happy for GC

Unless it’s a required formality, Larry French would not need a reference form filled out. 

And, I also know ChiefSmoke would never betray a confidence with a hint. 

I would like to see Coach French back in the area, though, and hopefully it happens soon.  

13 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Few finer men than Ed Rall. Just a wonderful human being. Oddly enough, Ed ended up teaching a few years at Garrard to get his retirement, coached baseball for one year, and worked as assistant athletic director for several years even after retiring. Love that guy!

He was my coach and I will always line him for what he did in shaping my life and character. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mr.Network said:

I would like to see Coach French back in the area, though, and hopefully it happens soon.  

Does Larry still live in Lincoln County? I was under the impression that when he went from Lincoln to Boyle and then Boyle to Southwestern that he never actually moved houses.