Open Job: Garrard County

Statsdontlie

3 minutes ago, NotMattJones said:

I agree with this completely. Some of the names mentioned are good hires, but I think Garrard needs to make the home-run hire. They need somebody willing to hang around for a while and build the program back up. They have arguably one of the best athletes in the surrounding 10 counties PLUS other young talent. It's an attractive job, or it should be. If somebody has been the coach and left, that's not the hire they need IMO. 

It's definitely an opportunity to change the course for the whole athletics program.  I hope it works out for them. 

31 minutes ago, NotMattJones said:

I agree with this completely. Some of the names mentioned are good hires, but I think Garrard needs to make the home-run hire. They need somebody willing to hang around for a while and build the program back up. They have arguably one of the best athletes in the surrounding 10 counties PLUS other young talent. It's an attractive job, or it should be. If somebody has been the coach and left, that's not the hire they need IMO. 

The home run hire here Has to be Clay Clevenger or Josh Jaggers but they have to sweeten the pot for them not to be lured anywhere else, it’s time they step up and do what needs to be done to keep coaches around and make a great hire not just a good hire. 

39 minutes ago, NotMattJones said:

So, you have a candidate who has proven himself as a position coach and as a coordinator plus, be on a staff that has 9 state titles including 7 of those he was on the staff. Based on what you say above you would not hire this person simply because he coached there 20 years ago? I just want to make sure I am reading what you are saying correctly in that is doesn't matter what a person has done since if they coached there in the past?

Obviously I am not saying there is any specific candidate but there is a former Garrard coach that more than meets what I listed above. When I say candidate I am simply using that as a hypothetical for discussion purposes.

1 minute ago, Seybold24 said:

The home run hire here Has to be Clay Clevenger or Josh Jaggers but they have to sweeten the pot for them not to be lured anywhere else, it’s time they step up and do what needs to be done to keep coaches around and make a great hire not just a good hire. 

Jaggers isn't a home-run hire IMO. I respect Josh and he's done fine at Larue, but nothing spectacular. I don't think his offense would excite too many fans right now either. Clevenger is a good hire, but I think he'll end back up at Danville (coaching or administration) soon. 

1 minute ago, NotMattJones said:

Jaggers isn't a home-run hire IMO. I respect Josh and he's done fine at Larue, but nothing spectacular. I don't think his offense would excite too many fans right now either. Clevenger is a good hire, but I think he'll end back up at Danville (coaching or administration) soon. 

Haha, 100% not either person I was referring to at all. Simply saying if you have a resume like the one listed above it shouldn't matter if you coached at Garrard before or not.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CAT DIESEL POWER said:

Haha, 100% not either person I was referring to at all. Simply saying if you have a resume like the one listed above it shouldn't matter if you coached at Garrard before or not.

Keeping you on your toes! Yes, the resume you listed above is top of the line, as is the person who holds it. I don't think he's interested, would be great if he was! 

1 minute ago, NotMattJones said:

Keeping you on your toes! Yes, the resume you listed above is top of the line, as is the person who holds it. I don't think he's interested, would be great if he was! 

I agree he isn't interested. I believe he is happy with what he is currently doing. But if he were then I believe he would more than qualified. It would be great for Garrard no doubt.

7 minutes ago, CAT DIESEL POWER said:

So, you have a candidate who has proven himself as a position coach and as a coordinator plus, be on a staff that has 9 state titles including 7 of those he was on the staff. Based on what you say above you would not hire this person simply because he coached there 20 years ago? I just want to make sure I am reading what you are saying correctly in that is doesn't matter what a person has done since if they coached there in the past?

Obviously I am not saying there is any specific candidate but there is a former Garrard coach that more than meets what I listed above. When I say candidate I am simply using that as a hypothetical for discussion purposes.

I love Jeff Hester but his style of play wouldn’t work with Garrard County now. See Jerry Perry for an example. 

33 minutes ago, CentralSports said:

I love Jeff Hester but his style of play wouldn’t work with Garrard County now. See Jerry Perry for an example. 

Yeah you are missing the point by a mile. The point is that he left there and has grown his game and learned a tremendous amount from several legends of Kentucky football becoming a legend in his own right. So if he were to go back to GC you wouldn't see Jerry Perry style of football. And the overall point was that just because a person coached at a school before doesn't mean that they wouldn't be a good fit the second time.

2 minutes ago, CAT DIESEL POWER said:

Yeah you are missing the point by a mile. The point is that he left there and has grown his game and learned a tremendous amount from several legends of Kentucky football becoming a legend in his own right. So if he were to go back to GC you wouldn't see Jerry Perry style of football.

And when Jerry Perry left Garrard the first time he went to Danville and won a few titles and also coached under one of the greats Sam Harp. So pretty similar comparison and style of play. Both hard nose defensive coaches. Garrard County needs a coach that runs the spread offense and that will open up the field for their athletes. 

• Like 1

Okay, so who’s the home run here? With the folks listed who in everybody’s mind is the home run? Mine is Clay Clevenger, even if he isn’t interested or doesn’t apply I’m saying hypothetically, in everyone’s mind who is the home run in your eyes? I would love to see everyone’s opinion on this. 

26 minutes ago, CentralSports said:

And when Jerry Perry left Garrard the first time he went to Danville and won a few titles and also coached under one of the greats Sam Harp. So pretty similar comparison and style of play. Both hard nose defensive coaches. Garrard County needs a coach that runs the spread offense and that will open up the field for their athletes. 

So your comparison is that Jerry Perry learned from Harp and didn't change much. Yet Hester couldn't have learned from Chuck Smith who has had nothing but spread offenses even as a hard nose defensive guy? Not to mention I guess Hester didn't learn anything from Chris Pardue who is a spread guy or Justin Haddix who is spread/power/misdirection/everything guy?

Not to mention he isn't even a serious candidate but a hypothetical one.

8 minutes ago, CAT DIESEL POWER said:

So your comparison is that Jerry Perry learned from Harp and didn't change much. Yet Hester couldn't have learned from Chuck Smith who has had nothing but spread offenses even as a hard nose defensive guy? Not to mention I guess Hester didn't learn anything from Chris Pardue who is a spread guy or Justin Haddix who is spread/power/misdirection/everything guy?

Not to mention he isn't even a serious candidate but a hypothetical one.

It’s not about learning from other “coaches” it’s “your” style of play mentality. Perry ran the same offense as he did in the 90s at Garrard. Why didn’t he open it up some like they did at Danville while he was there? You have to adjust to the athletes you have on the field regardless of how you coached in the past or who you coached under. Look what Brett Baierlein did with this offense when he stepped in for Jerry Perry this year. Prime example of using your athletes the best way possible. 

• Like 1

I have no idea what the roster looks like or really who any of the kids are besides Quisenberry. There has been a lot of talk about getting a coach to compliment GC's athletes? Are there that many athletes? I would think it is hard to get your athletes the ball if you have no one to block for them. The issues in Garrard sound systemic, not centralized to a single HC. 

• Like 1