Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

1 hour ago, CincySportsFan said:

Purely speculation on my part...but, could it be due to the changing of the seasons and people spending more time indoors with each other?

Speculation here on my part too but we are starting to see some signs that not only does the immunity from the shot lower with time but that in some cases it may make you even higher risk to contract COVID meaning charting when the most shots were given may have a direct relationship to upticks moving forward.  Again, speculation.

Purely anecdotal evidence on my part. Within the past week my co-worker and a daughter of another co-worker (both vaccinated) contracted COVID. Minor symptoms, as we are told generally happens with those vaccinated. Both of their spouses contracted COVID (un-vaccinated) and both ended up having to go into the ER because of complications. Ages are 27 and 51, I think. Not sure about the daughter's spouse, but the co-worker's spouse (51) had gone down the Facebook rabbit hole of misinformation refusing to get a shot, with one reason being because "he doesn't know what is in it." Of course then he goes to the ER to be pumped full of things he has no idea what it is, but whatever. Both seem to be pulling through now. I am not trying to make a statement one way or the other, just citing what has happened close to me and it mirrors the stories of people I know in the medical field.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bugatti said:

Purely anecdotal evidence on my part. Within the past week my co-worker and a daughter of another co-worker (both vaccinated) contracted COVID. Minor symptoms, as we are told generally happens with those vaccinated. Both of their spouses contracted COVID (un-vaccinated) and both ended up having to go into the ER because of complications. Ages are 27 and 51, I think. Not sure about the daughter's spouse, but the co-worker's spouse (51) had gone down the Facebook rabbit hole of misinformation refusing to get a shot, with one reason being because "he doesn't know what is in it." Of course then he goes to the ER to be pumped full of things he has no idea what it is, but whatever. Both seem to be pulling through now. I am not trying to make a statement one way or the other, just citing what has happened close to me and it mirrors the stories of people I know in the medical field.

I don't think there is any denying that the shot helps in the short term.  However, in the long term, it is much less certain. 

My vaccinated neighbor just got COVID, it was very rough on him but he is old and overweight. 

Got my Covid booster last week and my flu shot today.  I am going to guess yearly Covid vaccines will go along with yearly flu shots. Covid seems here to stay.

I would be curious to know, how the current rate of Covid infections and deaths compare with a usual flu season.  

6 hours ago, theguru said:

I don't think there is any denying that the shot helps in the short term.  However, in the long term, it is much less certain.

This is exactly what a doctor told me when my uncle was dying of Covid.  She said that we don't 100% know the long-term effects, but there's no denying that it provides protection in the present.

The short-term help convinced me enough.  All the deaths that I have seen from unvaccinated family and friends have reaffirmed my decision to get the shot.  But I also acknowledge there is an uncertain long-term too.

• Like 2

I'm getting booster this Tuesday since I got vaccine last January and February. I've seen data that after booster antibodies skyrocket higher and becomes around 95% effective. Guess we'll have to see how long it lasts. I had Hepatitis B vaccine which is 3 shot series. Fast forward over 20 years later and still test positive for Hepatitis B antibodies.

Got my booster on Friday. Side effects weren't as bad as my second shot, but I was more proactive with a Tylenol/advil every two hours, plenty of fluids etc. Still didn't quite feel 100% until today.  My wife unfortunately (who is vaccinated but has not received the booster) just tested positive yesterday. She has pretty mild symptoms, no worse than a normal cold except for the loss of smell. She didn't lose taste, really hasn't had much of a fever and is still working around the house. 

On 11/21/2021 at 11:27 AM, Tigerpride94 said:

I'm getting booster this Tuesday since I got vaccine last January and February. I've seen data that after booster antibodies skyrocket higher and becomes around 95% effective. Guess we'll have to see how long it lasts. I had Hepatitis B vaccine which is 3 shot series. Fast forward over 20 years later and still test positive for Hepatitis B antibodies.

1 minute ago, rjs4470 said:

Got my booster on Friday. Side effects weren't as bad as my second shot, but I was more proactive with a Tylenol/advil every two hours, plenty of fluids etc. Still didn't quite feel 100% until today.  My wife unfortunately (who is vaccinated but has not received the booster) just tested positive yesterday. She has pretty mild symptoms, no worse than a normal cold except for the loss of smell. She didn't lose taste, really hasn't had much of a fever and is still working around the house. 

Honest question here, how many boosters are you guys going to get?  What will make you decide not to get another booster?  

29 minutes ago, theguru said:

Honest question here, how many boosters are you guys going to get?  What will make you decide not to get another booster?  

Not sure but I get flu shot every year so probably would do 1 a year. I think they are going to eventually have one shot that has flu plus covid.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Not sure but I get flu shot every year so probably would do 1 a year. I think they are going to eventually have one shot that has flu plus covid.

I think the problem with that logic is the flu comes and goes each year, COVID is with us 24/7/365 meaning it doesn't fit into a calendar year for prevention. 

1 minute ago, theguru said:

I think the problem with that logic is the flu comes and goes each year, COVID is with us 24/7/365 meaning it doesn't fit into a calendar year for prevention. 

The flu doesn't come and go. There is a "season" because that's when it's the most active, but people get the flu all throughout the year.