Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

I am sure people - ironically the same people that do not believe in WHO or the CDC - are now taking the statement and saying, "told you so."

I have a family member (through marriage, thank goodness) who belongs in this group. When the CDC came out and said that we probably didn't need to wipe down every package that we ever touched (because the virus probably couldn't survive there that long)...he said "See, look what the CDC is saying about this! Trust them!"

And yet, he refuses to wear a mask, even though the same CDC advocates for it. He'd rather quote a couple of YouTube doctors, or some other non-reliable sources. I am soooooooooooo glad our family reunion has been cancelled for this summer.

I have a family member (through marriage, thank goodness) who belongs in this group. When the CDC came out and said that we probably didn't need to wipe down every package that we ever touched (because the virus probably couldn't survive there that long)...he said "See, look what the CDC is saying about this! Trust them!"

And yet, he refuses to wear a mask, even though the same CDC advocates for it. He'd rather quote a couple of YouTube doctors, or some other non-reliable sources. I am soooooooooooo glad our family reunion has been cancelled for this summer.

There are approximately eleventy billion people like this.

You used to hear about “cafeteria Catholics”. We now have cafeteria Corona people.

Does anybody really enjoy family reunions under any circumstance?

Considering that I'm 4-5 hours away from all of my family...yes, I do enjoy our reunions. (My wife, on the other hand, not so much. But, that's another story. :lol2: ). While I'm able to see my parents 3 or 4 times during the year, I'm usually only able to see my aunts/uncles/cousins pretty much just this one time a year.

You used to hear about “cafeteria Catholics”. We now have cafeteria Corona people.

I also enjoy them, some you only see at a funeral or a reunion, I'll take the reunion every time, also look forward to going to blue licks state park.

I have no clue what is going on in this country. It is maddening.

I still can't get over that America represents about 4% of the world's population. Yet we have almost 30% of the world's cases. I am sure people can nitpick numbers, credit testing, blame health organizations, or whatever you choose, but that is a flat out pathetic number.

What's about to happen is these spikes will be attributed to protests and not states reopening prematurely.

Ain't happening. Americans "sacrificed" to its highest extent the better part of eight weeks. That's about all you're going to get.

Yep.

Do you all think we should still be in quarantine? I’m trying to figure out your positions.

Do you all think we should still be in quarantine? I’m trying to figure out your positions.

Quarantine? Not necessarily. That said, I will roll with whatever I am told is the safest way to proceed and respect everyone along the way to the best of my abilities. If I am asked to wear a mask by the respected professionals we pay to give us this info, I will go with that. If I have to put off going to a bar until August, I will survive. If it means having my temperature checked to get my haircut, I can do that.

My position is I am not going to take the position that "this is all a hoax to control us and that the CDC, health officials, and others are in on this vast conspiracy to undermine me and my family." For no reason, just to do it.

My statement was more about the rebellious mindset we have in America and that I can't see us going back to the extent to which we quarantined March - May, even if mandated.

19 states are experiencing spikes. Texas moved on to stage 3 of reopening and has had a record number of hospitalizations the last several days. Many other states are experiencing all time highs as well.

Texas hospitals are under 18% capacity involving COVID cases. Texas has also increased testing, up to 1.15 million.

Florida is showing increased infections, too. All-time highs. However, they have expanded testing considerably, 250,000 on May 4 to 1.28 million as of today (400%). Based on the ratios on May 4, the ratio of tests to positive cases continues to be in decline as does the ratio of positive cases to deaths and positive cases to hospitalization.

No. I think the gradual unlocking of Kentucky has been done pretty well.

But the thinking that this is a hoax is, in my opinion, ridiculous.

I also think it'll be near impossible to lock down again.

Texas hospitals are under 18% capacity involving COVID cases. Texas has also increased testing, up to 1.15 million.

Florida is showing increased infections, too. All-time highs. However, they have expanded testing considerably, 250,000 on May 4 to 1.28 million as of today (400%). Based on the ratios on May 4, the ratio of tests to positive cases continues to be in decline as does the ratio of positive cases to deaths and positive cases to hospitalization.

That's tremendous news, though I wish we could see the rate go down.

I still can't get over that America represents about 4% of the world's population. Yet we have almost 30% of the world's cases. I am sure people can nitpick numbers, credit testing, blame health organizations, or whatever you choose, but that is a flat out pathetic number.

I find that astounding as well. However, I am wondering what we should have done differently. Seems like things were shut down pretty quickly when infections starting showing up in the US. Maybe we should have shut down air travel more quickly?

I look at statistics in places like India and Mexico and wonder how we could have done so much worse. Of course, that would mean trusting the statistics, and I noticed that their level of testing is much lower.